Should I have hernia done in private or public hospital

ubonr1971

3 weeks ago I lifted something heavy and then later noticed a hernia on one side of my groin. 

I visited a private hospital who said hernia laparoscopic surgery is the gold standard. It uses the mesh. Package price advertised 200k baht. Hospital later called me to say the dr 'estimated' the price to be just shy of 300k. 

I am an ex govt teacher and paying the 400 thb a month giving me entitlement to the local public hospital. I havent visited there yet. Wondering if they use the mesh method or not and is it the old open surgery where I will have a big scar to look at down there for the rest of my life?

I once had a colonoscopy done at a public hospital. Complete nightmare. They made me stay for 2 days. As soon as I arrived they put a drip in my arm. I was thinking what am I in for here. But it was cheap but 3rd world experience....  In private hospital is a standard day procedure. 

If you have ever had hernia surgery at a public hospital can you let me know your experience. 

• Like 1

There are some, but not every, public hospitals that offer newer standards of hernia repair. You can visit and discuss with them to see if they have such options available. The 300k laparoscopic option isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

If you have ever had hernia surgery at a public hospital can you let me know your experience. 

Three years ago had open mesh inguinal hernia surgery at a  private hospital in khonKaen was a two night stay the only real scar was to my wallet 55k baht! ......seriously would really struggle to see the tiniest evidence of the surgery. 

Noticed as part of their promotions 9 months ago they were discounting all surgery and the standard inguinal hernia package was now only 35k.

Laproscopic was quoted in writing 120k at another private hospital Bkk hospital khon kaen but likely three years on its nearer 200k plus now, but although didnt take this option surgeon was of the best doctors Ive met ...he..listened and great attitude!

He was previously the surgeon at the government hospital and first to do a laparoscopic  hernia repair...... government hospital quote then 2020 only 35k for laproscopic including two nights private room.

Edited by sapson
  • Like 2

Someone once told me that 25% of surgeries result in complications... a scary figure though I do not know if that is correct... I have had 2 surgeries in my life and 1 had complications which ruined a year of my life and left me wounded and wary of any medical treatment..

I have heard of wonderful stories from public hospitals, and nightmares from private ones. But, I would guess that you have a better chance at a private hospital... 

good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mesh is used pretty much everywhere. It is also usualky used in the West.

Some public hospitals have capacity to do laparoscopic but many do not. Which hospital are you covered at?

300k is high for this at a private hospital. 200-225 would be more usual.  So if you do opt for private, shop around  bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had a colonoscopy done at Chiangmai Ram, Hospital, and the procedure was painless after the operation. 30 minutes later I drove my own car home. No problem. I’ll set a hernia operation down there. They use the mesh and once again no problem I stayed there overnight. Went home the next day, and everything went perfect. Not to mention the aftercare was excellent. You get what you pay for. TIT

I had a double hernia operation using a mesh at a government hospital in Bangkok. I was in for 2 nights, it cost 29 000 bt and used a mesh. Not a wonderful experience as i was in a ward but not too bad really. I have the scars but again, not too bad. i recovered well enough and was back at work in a week, albeit, walking a bit slower.

If i required another surgery , i would consult the same hospital. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had it done a few years ago in a private hospital and decided for the price I’d rather do the small incision. It went perfectly fine and I can barely tell where the scar is. If you’re that concerned about a small scar then you are going to have to pay up and do laparoscopic. I’d just shop around. I think you will be able to find something much cheaper. Just do your research and due diligence. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Laparoscopic ( keyhole ) surgery is preferred over open wound hernia repair because post-operative risk is lower.

Not always.

Open inguinal hernia repair has long been the method of choice for most surgeons and is often recommended in contemporary literature as the optimal approach for primary unilateral inguinal hernia, which is a hernia occurring for the first time on one side of the groin, without any prior repair.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9160137/

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

3 weeks ago I lifted something heavy and then later noticed a hernia on one side of my groin. 

I visited a private hospital who said hernia laparoscopic surgery is the gold standard. It uses the mesh. Package price advertised 200k baht. Hospital later called me to say the dr 'estimated' the price to be just shy of 300k. 

I am an ex govt teacher and paying the 400 thb a month giving me entitlement to the local public hospital. I havent visited there yet. Wondering if they use the mesh method or not and is it the old open surgery where I will have a big scar to look at down there for the rest of my life?

I once had a colonoscopy done at a public hospital. Complete nightmare. They made me stay for 2 days. As soon as I arrived they put a drip in my arm. I was thinking what am I in for here. But it was cheap but 3rd world experience....  In private hospital is a standard day procedure. 

I have had herniaoperation on BOTH sides. It is being said that if you goty it on one side sooner rather than later you will also have a hernia on the other side. So for me, I did my hernia-operation on Saint Mary Hospital in Khorat (privat hospital). I did also thr second one 2 years after on the very same hospital....

The cost of 200-300K is something that was VERY surpricing for me.... My operation did cost 80K in both cases and this was back in 2016 and 2018.... When it comes to a scar, then I can inform you that it is completely impossible to even see any scar or where they went in... 

I am not sure if I have misunderstood your post, you are talking about "mesh method"... For me they used a net that was placed on top of the intestines to keep them in place, is this the same as you are talking about????

About 7 years ago, had hernia surgery at Chiangmai Ram hospital (private), they used open surgery (doc told me it was just as easy to do it that way in my case), and the total cost was 58,497 baht.   In by about 9AM, home by 5PM.  A mesh was installed and they used glue to close the incision (since after about a year later, I can't visually even see where they did the deal). Simple procedure, painless, and OP's fear of some "big scar" is simply silly (and incorrect) in my opinion.  The quoted price of about 300k baht seems way out of line to me.

I have had two hernia operations. One in private and one in a public hospital. The public hospital was Queen Sirikit in Sattahip. They used mesh and left no discernable scar.

This was in 2014 and cost 19,000 baht. At the same time I was quoted 120,000 baht for a private hospital. The public hospital was very professional and the only difference, there are not as many spare nurses running around. 

The only reason I went to a public hospital was because my health insurance expired as I was waiting for them to okay the cost in a private hospital. One hour after it expired, they contacted me and said no.

I would have no qualms using public again.

Good luck.

Re the various private hospital costs various posters have described:

Health care costs have risen enormously in past few years

For laparoscopic hernia repair nowadays rate is around 200k. M8ght be a bit less upcountry and in non-profit hospitals.

But I have not seen it reach 300k, that is unusual. 

Open procedure about 50k less than lsparoscopuc (in private hospital). 

• Thanks 1

My father in-law, a GP in the UK, told me always to go to the busiest hopital, not only are they more experienced, they see complications more often and are more capable of dealing with them.  That backs up my own experience.

I had 2 minor operations in a private hospital in Chiang Rai, both for a skin cancer, second time was a recurrence of the first.  Both times I developed sepsis and spent most of the ensuing week laid up in a hospital bed there with antibiotic IV drip.  My friend died in the same hospital from Sepsis.  Another friend was in there for 3 weeks with Sepsis following a procedure. I wrote to the hospital director saying they had a problem, I didn't even get a reply.

The second time, they didn't get all the cancer, I went back and saw a young doctor, who was literally shaking and left the room for 10 minutes to see a senior for advice, came back and said freezing wouldn't work and recommended more surgery, I told him it would have to be a cold day in hell before I let them anywhere near me with anything sharp again.

I had follow up surgery at the government hospital.  It was like chalk and cheese, 7 or 8 nurses plus one plastic surgeon in an incredibly well equipped OR compared with the same Dr. & one nurse both times in the private hospital in a dirty treatment room with marks all over the walls and one tray of instruments which I suspect either weren't clean or came from a broken autoclave.

On another occasion, I had pain so bad I was throwing up and my friends took me to the other private hospital in Chiang Rai, suspected Kidney Stone at 8pm, they told me to go home and come back in the morning when the ultrasound operator would be in.  Ultimately, it was removed under a General Anesthetic at the Government Hospital.  I have had 2 colonoscopies, one at the hospital that causes Sepsis and one at the Government Hospital, both went well.

I did similar about 5 years ago and have an egg sized lump on my left groin area, it has never been a problem so unless it troubles you painfull etc, just leave it be, there is a name for these non problem hernia's which i can't remember now, maybe Sheryl cann help! 

I had hernia surgery at Buriram Govt Hospital 4 months ago and it was the conventional non laparoscopic procedure. I am very pleased with the outcome and I am still on the mend. The first 3 months after the operation you are cautioned to be very careful and only walking is strongly recommended. They didn't offer laparoscopic.

Previously I had a nightmare with a private hospital and the surgeon there even said that although they offered laparospic he didn't recommend it because he said in some cases the body rejects the mesh and you have to go in and have another surgery to take out the mesh. That was, quite frankly, the only good thing I had with this private hospital.

Without going into great detail, this private hospital's staff was very  unpleasant and I had to do 95% of the work to finally get approval from my insurance for the operation at this private hospital. I finally got the surgery approved for a certain amount and on the day I was to be admitted to this private hospital for the surgery the games began.

To make a  long story short besides the fact that they were obviously trying to run up the bill even more then the approved amount, at the last second they said I had to be admitted to intensive care which, had I been, the final bill would have been far in excess of what my insurance had approved for the operation. When I questioned the hospital billing reps they tried to fluff it off and said I would have to pay whatever amount exceeded the agreed to amount and I would have to pay and chase. I would have to go through the time and aggravation, knowing full well that this private hospital staff would have done the least amount of work to assist me, and I would have had to do most of the work just like I did initially to get approved.

I hit the ceiling, demanded all my test results that I had paid for since they were considered out patient and I would have to submit them for reimbursement with my insurance. I had them give me my bill and I went to the cashier and paid what I had owed for all the tests. I was very mad and basically called them a bunch of crooks and stormed out.

In any event, I went to Buriram Gov't Hospital and they were very pleasant and polite. I was very impressed with their professional demeanor and they were very thorough during the whole process to finally get a date for the surgery and the resultant surgery. Myself and my wife stayed in a very nice private room at the hospital setting for the several days leading up to my operation and I had the operation. The nurses were all great and the care and treatment I received was better then any care I ever received back in the U.S.

In summation, had I had the operation at the private hospital I can only say that it would have exceeded 200,000 thb. This was for a non laparospic operation. Way back when I was quoted a price in excess of 200,000 thb for a laparospic surgery. The total cost of my hernia operation at Buriram Gov't Hospital was 41,000 thb and that also included 5 nights admittance at one of their very impressive private rooms where I also received 3 meals each day while there. I had some health issues which the attending surgeon thought best that I be admitted several days before the operation just as a precautionary measure. I was never put in ICU and their was never any need to be put in ICU unless an unscrupulous hospital saw an opportunity to run up a sizeable bill.

In closing, as stated previously, I am still on the mend but very pleased with the outcome of the surgery. I gave all the attending nurses a nice tip plus the lady who cleaned our room each day. All in all a great outcome after some angst and turmoil initially.

Edited by watgate

I am having a full knee replacement soon. Shopped around and the private hospitals are 350,000 and up. Going to use a good public hospital. Found a very good surgeon who works at the same private hospitals, and two days a week at the public hospital. He will do the procedure. 150 to 170k with initial rehab and extras. 

Had my hernia operation done at Si Samrong public hospital (Sukhothai province) 16 months ago. In hospital for five nights due to getting my blood pressure down for the operation. The bill was a grand total of 18900 baht. I could not fault the care ( but I have been used to care in a Greek hospital) and I would not have a problem going there again.

Not sure if the operation is comparable with what you need but my hernia was very close to the belly button. I have been told that at a private hospital it would have been closer to 100,000 baht. 

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

I did similar about 5 years ago and have an egg sized lump on my left groin area, it has never been a problem so unless it troubles you painfull etc, just leave it be, there is a name for these non problem hernia's which i can't remember now, maybe Sheryl cann help! 

Im interested in your comment. Actually Ive had the hernia for several weeks now and no issues. I wonder if I can just leave it for a while similar to the way I deal with other health issues.