Sidewalks on Huay Kaew Road from Ram to Maya

sqwakvfr

On 6/16/2023 at 5:02 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Grab or a Tuk Tuk for a 1 Kim ride 6 days as week?  

Bolt is about 45 baht short ride. I walked to Maya. It looks like most footpaths in Thailand ie crumbling mess.

45 baht times 12 is 540 baht. US$15

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Bolt is about 45 baht short ride. I walked to Maya. It looks like most footpaths in Thailand ie crumbling mess.

45 baht times 12 is 540 baht. US$15

It would actually be 24 times a month so $30.  Depending on the ride I normally give Grab drivers a 20 baht tip.  

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

It would actually be 24 times a month so $30.

Earlier you said 6 round trips a week which would be 12 trips a week or about 48 trips a month.  Wouldn’t it?

or do you do a round trip in one ride?

It would actually be 24 times a month so $30.  Depending on the ride I normally give Grab drivers a 20 baht tip.  

If you give tips you cannot be complaining about costs then.

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Earlier you said 6 round trips a week which would be 12 trips a week or about 48 trips a month.  Wouldn’t it?

or do you do a round trip in one ride?

Ok 6x2= 12 12x4 = 48  per month. Anyway I am not going to hail a ride for a 2KM round trip even with the sidewalks in it's present condition. 

1 hour ago, bignok said:

If you give tips you cannot be complaining about costs then.

When did I complain about the cost? I stated I generally do not hail rides for such short distances even with the current condition of the sidewalks.  Of course if there was a monsoon then I might reconsider? If this mean that I am complaining about the cost then I would not disagree with you because this is your interpretation of what I had said.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

Back to the topic somewhat, they are (slowly to the max) installing the new sidewalks which likely will be pretty nice when finished (this year?).  They are using rather small tiles and different colored tiles as shown in the attached photo.  They are filling in the two gaps you see with mortar but leaving about a 3/4" depth and I presume the final deal will be another thinner tile of some color.

SidewalkRepair01.jpg

Edited by CMBob

Ok 6x2= 12 12x4 = 48  per month. Anyway I am not going to hail a ride for a 2KM round trip even with the sidewalks in it's present condition. 

So why start the topic? Always been bad sidewalks.

57 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Back to the topic somewhat, they are (slowly to the max) installing the new sidewalks which likely will be pretty nice when finished (this year?).  They are using rather small tiles and different colored tiles as shown in the attached photo.  They are filling in the two gaps you see with mortar but leaving about a 3/4" depth and I presume the final deal will be another thinner tile of some color.

SidewalkRepair01.jpg

Thanks for for the photo.  Slowly and i means very slowly I see some progress.  Maybe around September or October is when I see the project being completed?  

1 minute ago, bignok said:

So why start the topic? Always been bad sidewalks.

Always? Yes.  But my main point was why tear up both sidewalks at the same time?  At least give pedestrians one sidewalk that is not torn up.  Logically speaking(I know that is in rare supply here) complete one side first and then work on the other side.  I know.  Stop using Logic.  

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

SidewalkRepair01.jpg

They are not small tiles , its just concrete with a lines through them 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Always? Yes.  But my main point was why tear up both sidewalks at the same time?  At least give pedestrians one sidewalk that is not torn up.  Logically speaking(I know that is in rare supply here) complete one side first and then work on the other side.  I know.  Stop using Logic.  

2nd world country. Walking is a health hazzard. Thais don't like to walk much so low priority.

• Sad 1

On 6/20/2023 at 6:28 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

They are not small tiles , its just concrete with a lines through them 

Not sure what you're talking about but apparently you have not watched them lay the individual tiles.  For the

most part, they are doing an excellent job lining up the tiles.  After laying a concrete base, they then mortar in

the larger yellow tiles.  Then they mortar in the smaller sorta pink tiles with the redder tiles on the edges.  As to

the gaps on either side of the larger yellow tiles, I have no clue what's going in there as they haven't done that

anywhere as yet that I've seen.

SidewalkTiles000.jpg

SidewalkTiles001.jpg

SidewalkTiles003.jpg

On 6/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, Bassosa said:

They're trying to beautify the city, also with putting wires underground around the moat. It's slowgoing yes, but let's give 'm credit that there's at least some awareness.

Lots of improvements with the current governor. Tidying up the hanging cables, the immense work going on along canal road north of Phu Come, sidewalks, the gates around the moat, road repairs. Some people are always fast to judge using western standards, but they forget that in this country  budgets are small and governors are short-lived, they have to try the best they can even if it means a disruption on both sides of the road. And yes, you will hardly ever see a Thai walk along Huay Kaew, it is done for the foreigners, let's be thankful.

• 5 months later...
On 6/22/2023 at 1:01 PM, CMBob said:

Not sure what you're talking about but apparently you have not watched them lay the individual tiles.  For the

most part, they are doing an excellent job lining up the tiles.  After laying a concrete base, they then mortar in

the larger yellow tiles.  Then they mortar in the smaller sorta pink tiles with the redder tiles on the edges.  As to

the gaps on either side of the larger yellow tiles, I have no clue what's going in there as they haven't done that

anywhere as yet that I've seen.

SidewalkTiles000.jpg

SidewalkTiles001.jpg

SidewalkTiles003.jpg

Looks like some amazing quality material, so renewals needed within 5-7 years again.

On 6/20/2023 at 5:21 PM, CMBob said:

SidewalkRepair01.jpg

These colored tiles are not just decorations. Those yellow squares with lines on them are to make the sidewalks more easily navigated by people who are visually challenged, using a white cane to follow the direction. At the corners, these lines should change to a series of dots to alert the walker to that fact.  When completed, it will make Chiang Mai much more user-friendly to the visually impaired.

4 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Does anyone know if the sidewalk work on Huay Kaew Road between Maya Mall and CM Ram has been completed or if there is still ongoing work?

Yes, it is still going on. And I'm quite upset that the municipal government did NOT stick to MY personal timetable for finishing these repairs. How dare they!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1