UK married couple to retire in Thailand

Talking with a guy whose  UK parents are retiring to Thailand to be close to him. He is positive that they only need one retirement visa and the other can be a dependent on that visa, so only one bank account with 800,000. I thought that married foreigners were treated as individuals, except they could have joint accounts with 1.6 million instead of two bank accounts with 800,000 baht.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dogbarker said:

One should be aware of difficulties if the partner holding the visa dies. There have been incidents  of problems with immigration. a few years ago that I know genuinely happened  that the dependents visa became void and the spouse had to leave the country and return on a tourist visa waiver immediately.  ( It was in chiang Mai ) 

The OP must remember that it needs to be a SOLE account if he only intends to hold 800,000 in it.  He must set up a Thai will as soon as he opens the account to make sure the wife can get it.

Do not let her try and depend on illegally using the ATM to withdraw after hubby dies.  I would also not trust any promises by the branch bank manager who says that he will make sure he will allow the wife access to the funds on the partner's death.

Having ATM or internet access on the retirement fund bank account is a bad security risk anyway.  Always have one account (fixed) no internet or ATM access, only passport and in person.  Separate a/c for daily expenses etc!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did it for 11 years until my wife sadly passed away. One thing you will need not mentioned is a confirmation that your British marriage licence is genuine, the British embassy used to do it issuing a letter confirming it so but I believe they no longer do it. I have no idea where you would get that done now.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

He can get 12 month extensions based on retirement with 800,000 Baht in the bank. His Wife can get the same extension as his dependant with zero money in the bank.

Entering with Non Imm O Visas will make it easier.

In fact, for a few years, My English wife was the "money in the bank" person with a retirement extension showing the word "retirement" in her passport and in my passport "dependent". Don't know if that still applies.

3 hours ago, poppysdad said:

I did it for 11 years until my wife sadly passed away. One thing you will need not mentioned is a confirmation that your British marriage licence is genuine, the British embassy used to do it issuing a letter confirming it so but I believe they no longer do it. I have no idea where you would get that done now.  

Simply out of curiosity, I wonder what the UK embassy actually does do for the average UK citizen nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Simply out of curiosity, I wonder what the UK embassy actually does do for the average UK citizen nowadays.

Some of the key services include:

Consular Assistance: The embassy offers consular assistance to UK citizens in cases of emergencies, such as accidents, hospitalizations, or arrests. They can provide guidance and support, including contact with family members, arranging for legal representation, or liaising with local authorities.

Passport Services: The embassy can provide emergency travel documents if a passport is lost or stolen.

Notarial and Documentary Services: The embassy offers some notarial services, including administering oaths, and witnessing signatures. They can also provide various documentary services, such as issuing certificates of no impediment to marriage.

Registration of Births and Deaths: UK citizens living in Thailand can register the birth or death of a British national with the embassy. This ensures that the event is properly recorded and can facilitate future document issuance, such as passports.

Travel Advice and Information: The embassy provides up-to-date travel advice and information for UK citizens living in Thailand. This includes safety and security guidance, information on local laws and customs, and any travel-related updates or advisories.

Voting and Registration: The embassy can assist UK citizens in registering to vote while living in Thailand. They provide information on the voting process, registration deadlines, and can facilitate the submission of postal votes during elections.

Assistance in Emergencies: In case of major emergencies, such as natural disasters or civil unrest, the embassy can provide assistance and information to UK citizens. They may help in coordinating evacuation plans, providing updates on the situation, and offering guidance on appropriate actions to take.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dogbarker said:

One should be aware of difficulties if the partner holding the visa dies ... the dependents visa became void

Obviously it would, why would anyone ever assume that a deceased person's visa/extension would not be invalidated by their death?

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

As far as us expat retirees are concerned, Bill, it has become clear to me that the Embassy regard their key role these days as acting as a go-between in developing a joint UK/Thailand inter-governmental strategy aimed at making our lives here in LOS just as humanly difficult and miserable as they

can be. The imposition of cumbersome bureaucracy on us over the past 10 years or so in the areas of passport renewal, proving that we are still in the land of the living for State Pension purposes and legalisation of UK documents as alluded to above is, I think, clear evidence of the UK government's gleeful enthusiasm for the development of such a strategy.

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

I believe the current procedure is to have the British marriage license notarised by the Thai embassy in London, and subsequently have the notarisation validated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand. Naturally, it is best to ensure you have the notarisation by the Thai embassy done before departing the UK.

In Phuket (my wife has a dependent visa) they are satisfied with a copy of marriage certificate in english language or with a translation to thai certified by your consulate / embassy.

But each immigration office seems to have its own rules.......

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, federicoP said:

In Phuket (my wife has a dependent visa) they are satisfied with a copy of marriage certificate in english language or with a translation to thai certified by your consulate / embassy.

But each immigration office seems to have its own rules.......

The OP is talking of a UK marriage certificate. Based on this, the following from 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copies-of-UK-birth appears relevant

Certified copies of UK birth, death, marriage or degree/educational certificates

Thai authorities require documents issued outside of Thailand to be authenticated. The only authority permitted to provide this service is the Legalisation Office of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office in the UK.

Before arriving in Thailand you are advised to get your UK certificates legalised before you travel. If you are already in Thailand you will need to follow the 3-step legalisation process as described in Legalising a signature or seal.

I have heard of notarization by the Thai embassy in the UK also being accepted but, as you say, there may be differences between provinces. However, I know for a fact that the British Embassy in Bangkok will refuse to certify.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

The OP is talking of a UK marriage certificate. Based on this, the following from 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copies-of-UK-birth appears relevant

I have heard of notarization by the Thai embassy in the UK also being accepted but, as you say, there may be differences between provinces. However, I know for a fact that the British Embassy in Bangkok will refuse to certify.

The Link is correct.  Getting a UK Marriage certificate legalised and then certified for use in Thailand, requires the document being sent to the UK Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes.  They can then forward it to the Thai Embassy in London for certification (as long as you include a postage-paid envelope).  It took me about 14 days, and it helps if you are physically in the UK.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:02 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Some of the key services include:

Consular Assistance: The embassy offers consular assistance to UK citizens in cases of emergencies, such as accidents, hospitalizations, or arrests. They can provide guidance and support, including contact with family members, arranging for legal representation, or liaising with local authorities.

Passport Services: The embassy can provide emergency travel documents if a passport is lost or stolen.

Notarial and Documentary Services: The embassy offers some notarial services, including administering oaths, and witnessing signatures. They can also provide various documentary services, such as issuing certificates of no impediment to marriage.

Registration of Births and Deaths: UK citizens living in Thailand can register the birth or death of a British national with the embassy. This ensures that the event is properly recorded and can facilitate future document issuance, such as passports.

Travel Advice and Information: The embassy provides up-to-date travel advice and information for UK citizens living in Thailand. This includes safety and security guidance, information on local laws and customs, and any travel-related updates or advisories.

Voting and Registration: The embassy can assist UK citizens in registering to vote while living in Thailand. They provide information on the voting process, registration deadlines, and can facilitate the submission of postal votes during elections.

Assistance in Emergencies: In case of major emergencies, such as natural disasters or civil unrest, the embassy can provide assistance and information to UK citizens. They may help in coordinating evacuation plans, providing updates on the situation, and offering guidance on appropriate actions to take.

Mostly of little relevance to the routine needs of local expat retirees, I think. They have completely thrown in the towel on (e.g.) providing an income confirmation service and witnessing State Pension life certificates - in other words genuinely useful services to the local expat retiree community.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Their response during the Covid pandemic was not impressive. Compiling a list of their compatriots in need of vaccination was left to the British Chamber of Commerce, to whom I am extremely grateful. 

And what I found particularly galling was that, in common with their counterparts worldwide, they were more than happy to sit idly by while ol' Boris was, gleefully and with much fanfare, cheerfully giving away vaccine doses deemed surplus to UK requirements, to find their way into the arms of any Tom, Dick and Harry across this great planet of ours who wasn't a British citizen!

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2023 at 3:18 PM, scottiejohn said:

The OP must remember that it needs to be a SOLE account if he only intends to hold 800,000 in it.  He must set up a Thai will as soon as he opens the account to make sure the wife can get it.

Do not let her try and depend on illegally using the ATM to withdraw after hubby dies.  I would also not trust any promises by the branch bank manager who says that he will make sure he will allow the wife access to the funds on the partner's death.

Having ATM or internet access on the retirement fund bank account is a bad security risk anyway.  Always have one account (fixed) no internet or ATM access, only passport and in person.  Separate a/c for daily expenses etc!

Hello sorry for the delay in replying . I thought the op wife was not Thai  ? . My wife was Malaysian but got a British passport 45 years and did her NHS service. To get a visa without complications we opted for baht 800000 each  yep baht 1.6 m . However now we don't bother and spend less time in Thailand and due the visa waiver .. .. 

Good choice after many years ...