Taking cash (Thai Baht) out Thailand into Laos - limits & declarations

If taking cash (Thai Baht) out of Thailand and bringing it into Laos, I believe the limit is 450k baht before you have to declare it when leaving Thailand, if taking it to any neighbouring country, is this correct? Is this only for cash or if you also take gold with a combined value over this, you then need to declare this when leaving Thailand?

When arriving in Laos, either by airport or land border crossing (Eg. Nong Khai), I believe that anything over US$2k in cash and/or gold needs to be declared. Considering how corrupt everything is in Laos, is it safe declaring all of this when flying into Vientiane airport or crossing via land at Nong Khai?

43 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If taking cash (Thai Baht) out of Thailand and bringing it into Laos, I believe the limit is 450k baht before you have to declare it when leaving Thailand, if taking it to any neighbouring country, is this correct?

The fact you have mentioned USD would imply you are mixing up different regulations, which is generally 20,000 USD.

The Thai baht is subject to currency control which negates any other general rule on the movement of cash.

You’re only able to take up to THB 50,000 if you’re leaving the country with Thai currency. To give an idea, that’s around about USD 1500.

The rules are slightly relaxed if you’re only going into one of the bordering countries - Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia, as well as Vietnam, or the Yunnan province of China. In this case, you can take up to THB 2,000,000 - but you must make a declaration to Thai Customs Authorities, if you’re planning on taking more than THB 450,000 to these countries.

https://wise.com/gb/blog/taking-cash-in-or-out-of-thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The fact you have mentioned USD would imply you are mixing up different regulations, which is generally 20,000 USD.

The Thai baht is subject to currency control which negates any other general rule on the movement of cash.

You’re only able to take up to THB 50,000 if you’re leaving the country with Thai currency. To give an idea, that’s around about USD 1500.

The rules are slightly relaxed if you’re only going into one of the bordering countries - Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia, as well as Vietnam, or the Yunnan province of China. In this case, you can take up to THB 2,000,000 - but you must make a declaration to Thai Customs Authorities, if you’re planning on taking more than THB 450,000 to these countries.

https://wise.com/gb/blog/taking-cash-in-or-out-of-thailand

Yes, that's also the source I read and got the info from the Wise website. But if leaving via the airport, would they question you if you took under the 450k baht limit but your flight ticket was to Vientiane? Because the usual limit is 50k baht but legally flying over the border you're allowed up to 450k baht.

10 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Who cares just bring it land border, worst case go multiple times. Sky is limit.

Won't you have still declare it at Nong Khai when exiting Thailand and when entering Laos via land? Same rules apply.

Apparently anything over US$2k needs to be declared when entering Laos from any mode of transport.

Edited by bbi1

47 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Won't you have still declare it at Nong Khai when exiting Thailand and when entering Laos via land? Same rules apply.

Apparently anything over US$2k needs to be declared when entering Laos from any mode of transport.

Who would even notice, 1 baht gold is already like near 1K USD and tiny, can easily hide dozens in your luggage etc.

To bring a lot of cash more tricky if you do a quick ''please open your bags'' at the border, which i never had before but is always a chance to happen. Gold can put everywhere, in pockets of clothes, toilet bag, daypack, wearing a chain on top etc etc.

Pretty sure you could even find locals that cross the border daily for you with the max of 2K, for a tiny fee, lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Breaking news Laos has ATMs and Thai banks, ANZ also

Do they have ATMs in small villages? Do the ATMs give you Thai Baht? Do the ATMs let you withdraw 500k baht in one transaction? Do the ATMs let you withdraw for free with no fees? I'm guessing it's a big fat "no" for all of these questions.

I’m sure they have atm’s and you can set your take out limit very high daily. I’m sure they do charge a small fee for this and it won’t be in Thai Baht, but it can be done. Where there’s a will, there is a way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Doesn't help me, I need Thai baht only. Don't need any Lao Kip.

Why if your in Lao. Whether you spend Dollars or Baht, the price is in Kip and the vendor will set Their Ex-rate, and your change will be in Kip. are you trying to Launder money?

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Why if your in Lao. Whether you spend Dollars or Baht, the price is in Kip and the vendor will set Their Ex-rate, and your change will be in Kip. are you trying to Launder money?

Quite a lot of transactions in Laos like land purchases or hotel stays may be priced and paid for in dollars or baht. 

7 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Do they have ATMs in small villages? Do the ATMs give you Thai Baht? Do the ATMs let you withdraw 500k baht in one transaction? Do the ATMs let you withdraw for free with no fees? I'm guessing it's a big fat "no" for all of these questions.

That is a lot of silly questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Quite a lot of transactions in Laos like land purchases or hotel stays may be priced and paid for in dollars or baht. 

Doesn't matter about hotels Kip is their currency, and will be accepted,  and now you are talking about buying land in a communist state, good luck with that one, you can  only lease that If you are lucky,  Have you even been there before?

16 hours ago, Bill97 said:

That is a lot of silly questions.

Exactly my questions were silly. Because I got a very silly response below:

On 6/17/2023 at 8:27 PM, brianthainess said:

Breaking news Laos has ATMs and Thai banks, ANZ also

My original questions were what needed to be declared when taking Thai baht and is it safe declaring it in Laos at the airport & at the land border crossing. Will they try and extract some of that from you if you declare it to them.

Edited by bbi1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 2:59 PM, brianthainess said:

Doesn't matter about hotels Kip is their currency, and will be accepted,  and now you are talking about buying land in a communist state, good luck with that one, you can  only lease that If you are lucky,  Have you even been there before?

I paid a hotel in dollars for a price quoted in dollars a few weeks ago. And a Lao national I know just paid Thai baht for land in the capital that had a price quoted in baht. Do you think Lao state owns all the land there? Talk to Lao nationals and see if they've never heard of land prices quoted in baht. 

• 4 weeks later...