Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I recall decades ago when I worked for the State Rail Authority (10 years) anyone who worked for the State Rail Authority or State buses received a free travel pass to and from work.

I also recall the stress the bus drivers had to endure with bus inspectors at basically every point noting their times of arrivals and putting the boot in if they were late, (traffic) wasn't an excuse.

Personally, I wouldn't do that job for quids.

If anyone returns at 65, I would suggest a low level stressed job, enough to make to cover your expenses, depending on your lifestyle, without compromising on your comforts, for me, I would need at least $60,400 per annum, half would go to rent after tax, the balance food as travel would be about $2.50 a day with the Seniors Card which everyone can obtain at age 60.

The above figure could include O/T as it wouldn't really bother me, as it would fill in the time, if needed.

I know Mount Druitt/Blacktown areas in Sydney are advertising urgently for weekend night drivers , I'm sure they are not ageist when it comes to choosing the night shift in those areas , wonder why they have trouble finding drivers?????

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would need at least $60,400 per annum, half would go to rent after tax, the balance food as travel would be about $2.50 a day with the Seniors Card which everyone can obtain at age 60

If you work more than 20 hours per week you don’t qualify for Seniors Card. 

Edited by Nemises

Just looked at the Sydney bus driver vacancies and there is no age limit as long as you have a Bus licence and the Mount Druitt areas have weekend night shifts for anyone wanting just 2 night shift a week 

And one of the benefits reads in the advert that you will meet " some very interesting people" ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Don't like the thought of being on my feet all day, back issues.

https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Salary/Bunnings-Warehouse-Senior-Team-Member-Salaries-E140287_D_KO19,37.htm

There is no reason why you can't drive a Bus on a Saturday night in Mount Druitt, benefits are free training for your licence and the ability to " meet interesting people"

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

There is no reason why you can't drive a Bus on a Saturday night in Mount Druitt, benefits are free training for your licence and the ability to " meet interesting people"

I’d prefer to drive the Sydney northern beaches “B Line” bus. Ultra modern buses between Mona Vale and the city. Spectacular harbour and beach views every trip, not to mention the “views” of glamorous office girls. I catch this service often, there’s dedicated bus lanes through any heavy traffic and happy-looking drivers sometimes playing their own music in the driver’s cab. ???? 

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/ways-to-get-around/bus/b-line-bus-service

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

I’d prefer to drive the Sydney northern beaches “B Line” bus. Ultra modern buses between Mona Vale and the city. Spectacular harbour and beach views every trip, not to mention the “views” of glamorous office girls. I catch this service often, there’s dedicated bus lanes through any heavy traffic and happy-looking drivers sometimes playing their own music in the driver’s cab. ???? 

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/ways-to-get-around/bus/b-line-bus-service

Agree, the Sydney northern beaches “B Line” b bus is very comfortable, reliable and yes great views. 

• Like 1

The best job ever for those 2 years!

$100k a year salary

$6k sign on bonus

Free city travel 24/7

Drive a bus just 700 metres each trip!

Just one stop!

Rarely have a passenger!

Today’s Sydney’s Tele

ON BOARD SYDNEY’S SHORTEST BUS ROUTE
THREE MINUTES 700 METRES ONE STOP
Jessica McSweeney

It sounds like the dream bus journey – just one cancellation all year and there’s always plenty of seats up for grabs. 

The catch? It’s Sydney’s shortest bus service, running just three minutes start to finish and covering just 700m. 

The 342 bus from Kingsford to Daceyville was designed in the late 1990s to accommodate the elderly residents of the aged care home on Gwea Ave to get to the shops and transport links at Kingsford. 

The bus runs just twice a day in each direction and at times is completely empty. 

When The Saturday Telegraph boarded the bus this week with just one other passenger, the bus driver – who wished to remain anonymous – said he rarely saw anyone on the afternoon services. 

Joining us on the ride was one elderly local who had plenty to say on the valued, if rarely patronised, service. 

She declined to give her name for fear of pushback in her community but told us anonymously that she was often the only passenger and at times only rode the bus to “keep it alive”. 

“I don’t know why the buses keep running, but I try to catch them frequently,” she said. “Next to nobody uses it – well, except me, I’m not nobody.”

The Daceyville local said she remembers the route being busier 10 years ago but in recent years has become especially quiet.

In another bus journey where we were the sole passengers, the bus driver even stopped us to make sure we had the right route – plenty of people have boarded by mistake. 

Transport Minister Jo Haylen said even though the route is only for a small handful of elderly residents, the government plans to keep funding the 342. 

“Public transport is a public service, and this little route is a prime example of what serving the community can look like,” she said. “When buses aren’t being used for peak, helping older residents in Randwick get to the shops may seem like a small job, but it’s a big deal for residents.”

The service runs twice a day in each direction outside of peak hours and is often driven by bus drivers working split shifts – meaning they work in the morning, take time off during the day, and then start their second half of their shift by driving the 2.20pm 342.

A spokesman for Transport for NSW said there are no plans to cancel the service. 

“Trips on route 342 are timetabled to fit into existing rosters and are typically outside of peak periods where buses are already available,” he said. 

Only one 342 bus service has been cancelled this year, far from the usual Sydney bus experience. The government’s Bus Industry Taskforce has been examining ways to improve Sydney’s ailing bus network, finding bus driver shortages are to blame. 

IMG_7833.jpeg

Edited by Nemises
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 7:38 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Did I mention I drove taxi's back in the day when doing my degree's, no thanks, don't want to deal with "interesting people" driving a taxi teaches you a lot.

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Did I mention I drove taxi's back in the day when doing my degree's, no thanks, don't want to deal with "interesting people" driving a taxi teaches you a lot.

I tried taxis 45 years ago. Few blokes told me good money to be made. Pushed on for a couple of months working it all out making very ordinary money. Finally cracked a few days cab full all day and result still under basic wage. Apart from that I hate driving

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I tried taxis 45 years ago. Few blokes told me good money to be made. Pushed on for a couple of months working it all out making very ordinary money. Finally cracked a few days cab full all day and result still under basic wage. Apart from that I hate driving

Yeh, in the 90's I was making $20 an hour cash in hand on a Friday and Saturday night doing the Eastern suburbs runs, short burst to the City and then back, and as the morning driver wouldn't rock up till 6am, I got to keep the taxi from 3pm to 5.30am and was taking home about $300 a night, so two nights work was considered good money (tax free) for me, but wouldn't recommend those hours to anyone.

I love driving, so if I could find a job driving out of Sydney, deliveries, I'd be happy with that, as long as the salary was good.

On 9/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I know Mount Druitt/Blacktown areas in Sydney are advertising urgently for weekend night drivers , I'm sure they are not ageist when it comes to choosing the night shift in those areas , wonder why they have trouble finding drivers?????

Google the crime map of Australia.

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Some posts about driving a taxi.  It's all Uber, or similar now.  You'll need an appropriate car, and have to do long hours.  

As for finding employment in Australia, when over 60 years of age, good luck.  Chances are next to zero.  

Yes your right

Maybe if you have a trade plumber or electrical but then the physical demands would be hard . class moving ladders ,carrying heavy equipment 

Professional Nurses will get jobs of course 

Aged care workers definitely but physical again washing people maybe your age and hard work low pay 

Disability support worker jobs I guess if you can work in that field with intellectual disability and have patience , dealing with that 

Doctors ,lawyers are ok will find work 

Bunnings ? Not sure of their policy 

Security guards 

Need a licence , casual work ,front desk in office , a lot take mature aged application especially the office front desk 

Bar work

Work in pubs and clubs , need to know how to pour drinks 

Of course definitely pick up night club pub security but do you want to deal with drunks in your 60's ?

I know the mount Druitt hotel is looking for staff on Friday nights 

Truck drivers , have a licence ,maybe forklift too , Bus drivers prefer mature age 

Edited by georgegeorgia

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes your right

Maybe if you have a trade plumber or electrical but then the physical demands would be hard .

Nurses will get jobs 

Aged care workers but physical again and hard work low pay

Disability support worker jobs I guess if you can work in that field with intellectual disability and have patience ,

Doctors ,lawyers are ok will find work 

Bunnings ? Not sure of their policy 

How many of the above jobs fit the employment profile of Aussie expats that have been living in Thailand for some years? 

7 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

How many of the above jobs fit the employment profile of Aussie expats that have been living in Thailand for some years? 

Yes they would have to do some training, and it will be jobs they won't like ,

nursing homes are desperate for staff but do you really want to change Mr Smith's colostomy bag first thing in the morning ?

I know some pubs are desperate for Security staff on weekends and by Law must have , so I imagine even at 65 you would get at least one pub somewhere employing on a Friday night you just to abide by the law , whether you want to stand in a door or in event security up to you.... but.....I see it ....I see old guys working event security at football matches etc 

Edited by georgegeorgia

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

but do you really want to change Mr Smith's colostomy bag first thing in the morning ?

Most expats can't even go to the fridge to get themselves another beer.  You know the guys I am talking about.   The, "I get the missus to do it" for everything, and I mean everything.   Even paying an electricity bill.   They have lost all independence, mostly out of laziness.. 

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I know some pubs are despygir Security staff on weekends and by Law must have , so I imagine even at 65 you would get at least 

Need a security license for that, thus a course to do, and it's not cheap.  Not to mention, no criminal history etc etc., and it takes months.  Then, what pub is going to employ a 60 year old over a 35 year old doing it as a second job?  Maybe an RSL, if lucky, but those jobs would be tied up already. 

Those going back to Australia for their 2 year qualification period are going to have some tough times, unless they have some cash behind them, but in my opinion, as far as employment goes, they can just about near forget it. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, Kenny202 said:

Yeah just talking to my son back in Oz about some of the realities of living there. Even in Woolongong where they are rent for a small unit $500-$600. Then talking about vehicle registration and insurance  ???? It sounds horrific to be honest. I doubt Jobseeker would cover 30% of your living expenses unless you were out in the bush in a tent eating tinned food

I did the 2 yrs return to gain the OAP and portability. Returned to LOS 2+ years ago.

Even in the period I was there the cost of living was beyond belief. I was lucky, through my Vietnam war service I was able to rent a 1 bed apartment in an RSL Lifecare village at a rental rate about half of commercial rates. If I had to pay commercial rates I would not have had enough incoming funds to pay the rent. I could not have survived. Electricity cost is another killer.

One item worth sharing, 2 other folks in the War Vets village took me to the local Coles and Woolworths giant supermarkets and pointed out the quite large selection of their own brand products.

Best example was Coles own brand laundry detergent $2.00 for standard big size flagon. Other flashy brands / flashy bottles $14.00 to $17.00 a bottle. The Coles branded detergent was in fact a mainstream flashy brand and it was good quality.

Dozens of other own brand items the same. Worth a look. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Even in the period I was there the cost of living was beyond belief. I was lucky, through my Vietnam war service I was able to rent a 1 bed apartment in an RSL Lifecare village at a rental rate about half of commercial rates. If I had to pay commercial rates I would not have had enough incoming funds to pay the rent. I could not have survived. Electricity cost is another killer.

The more I look at returning and doing the numbers, the more it isn't worth it for most, i.e. unless they are in a position to buy a cheap unit, say for $400k + stamp duty and legals, say $20k on top of that, yes, yes I know most guys don't have that kind of spondoolies to splash around, that said, if they did, that would say them around $30k on dead rent, e.g. one would need at least $500 per week for anything half decent, i.e. $26,000pa x 2 =$52,000, take away outgoings and what rental subsidy you would have received, and you would have saved $30k on your outlay, then you sell it after the 2 years at a break even point of say $430,000.

In all of this time you would be receiving the full pension and life would be ok, that said, you got to have the bacon to cook it and eat it, apart from that, the only other options are to rent a room, a caravan (waiting lists) or sleep in a car.

The only way feasible for me is the above, otherwise, going nowhere as it would take a minimum of 4-5 years to recoup the money outlaid to get the aged pension, so you go from 67 to 71/72 before you actually start getting your aged pension in the hand, so how many more years have you got in you after that.

Depressing I know, but that is the reality of leaving Australia, they stick it to you and turn it a few times to make sure you won't come back, i.e. unless you have some capital.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 6:43 AM, KhunHeineken said:

but in my opinion, as far as employment goes, they can just about near forget it. 

One of the most ridiculous things in Australia are 65 year old’s being forced to apply for jobs in order to get the dole. From memory you must show evidence of about 12 applications per month even though you will rarely ever - correction: never! - get a single response from any application. In addition to the 12 applications I was also required to report in person to my local Centrelink office every 2 weeks :))

Something to look forward to (if wanting the dole) when you return for those 2 years…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

One of the most ridiculous things in Australia are 65 year old’s being forced to apply for jobs in order to get the dole. From memory you must show evidence of about 12 applications per month even though you will rarely ever - correction: never! - get a single response from any application. In addition to the 12 applications I was also required to report in person to my local Centrelink office every 2 weeks :))

Something to look forward to (if wanting the dole) when you return for those 2 years…

M8 of mine is 63 and been on the dole for years, he said all he does is goes online (not sure how often) and fills in a questionnaire and lodges it, and that's it, questions are like, have you sort employment etc etc.

I wouldn't dream of going on JobSeeker for 2 years, better off going back at 67 and getting the age pension, more in it and more subsidies from what I have read, biggest problem is finding affordable accommodation, because as I said above, it could take up to 4-5 years to recoup your outlay, just being there for those 2 years getting the aged pension, in other words, whatever you earn is down the drain on rent.

Living expenses are a normal day to day event anywhere, here the rents are super cheap, but in Oz, well you'll be going backwards unless you can rent a room, caravan etc etc, that is unless your math is better than mine (recouping) the outlay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

M8 of mine is 63 and been on the dole for years, he said all he does is goes online

Here’s a screenshot showing the dates that I needed to report in person to my local Centrelink office. Strange that your mate doesn’t need to physically report and others do. I had just arrived back from living in Thailand for 6 years, so maybe that’s why… 

IMG_2237.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Strange that your mate doesn’t need to physically report and others do. I had just arrived back from living in Thailand for 6 years, so maybe that’s why… 

Yeh, probably why, they most likely wanted to punish you with finding you a job.

My M8 does live in the north, past Newcastle, could be that his nearest Centrelink office is far away, e.g. an hour or so, but not sure if that has anything to do with it, he did also send me a screen shot of the questionnaire which seemed pretty straight forward to answer.

7 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Here’s a screenshot showing the dates that I needed to report in person to my local Centrelink office. Strange that your mate doesn’t need to physically report and others do. I had just arrived back from living in Thailand for 6 years, so maybe that’s why… 

IMG_2237.jpeg

Could be wrong but my understanding is that those dates are the reporting dates Centrelink recipients who are working part time and they have to report their income regularly and that generates adjustment to their OAP. As said just my understanding, could be wrong.

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Could be wrong but my understanding is that those dates are the reporting dates Centrelink recipients who are working part time and they have to report their income regularly and that generates adjustment to their OAP. As said just my understanding, could be wrong.

You are wrong 100 %. Because as mentioned already, those screenshot reporting dates are nothing to do with “income reporting”, they are dates to report in person to your local Centrelink office in order to maintain your dole payments. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

M8 of mine is 63 and been on the dole for years, he said all he does is goes online (not sure how often) and fills in a questionnaire and lodges it, and that's it, questions are like, have you sort employment etc etc.

I wouldn't dream of going on JobSeeker for 2 years, better off going back at 67 and getting the age pension, more in it and more subsidies from what I have read, biggest problem is finding affordable accommodation, because as I said above, it could take up to 4-5 years to recoup your outlay, just being there for those 2 years getting the aged pension, in other words, whatever you earn is down the drain on rent.

Living expenses are a normal day to day event anywhere, here the rents are super cheap, but in Oz, well you'll be going backwards unless you can rent a room, caravan etc etc, that is unless your math is better than mine (recouping) the outlay.

Yep, I agree, 67 and the OAP is the way to go.

I'm still summing up whether to go back.

On the positive, I will be able to live rent free.

On the negative, due to my current income, I will probably only get about 50% of the pension.

So about $600 PF.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Yep, I agree, 67

I was also seriously thinking about going back to Aus at 67 to start my 2 years, but was worried about my "performance level" with the Thai girls when returning at aged... 69 :crying:

So for me, it was go back at 65, exercise regularly like never before and hopefully still be fully functionable (without enhancers) when returning at age 67...which I am! Phew!! :partytime2:

Edited by Nemises
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

I was also seriously thinking about going back to Aus at 67 to start my 2 years, but was worried about my "performance level" with the Thai girls when returning at aged... 69 :crying:

So for me, it was go back 65 and hopefully still be fully functionable (without enhancers) when returning at age 67...which I am! Phew!! :partytime2:

Don't think I would qualify for the Dole, so it would have to be the OAP for me.

You'll be fine mate.

Nothing wrong with enhancers anyway:smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I did the 2 yrs return to gain the OAP and portability. Returned to LOS 2+ years ago.

One item worth sharing, 2 other folks in the War Vets village took me to the local Coles and Woolworths giant supermarkets and pointed out the quite large selection of their own brand products.

Best example was Coles own brand laundry detergent $2.00 for standard big size flagon. Other flashy brands / flashy bottles $14.00 to $17.00 a bottle. The Coles branded detergent was in fact a mainstream flashy brand and it was good quality.

Dozens of other own brand items the same. Worth a look. 

I remember you said you were in a Sydney richer area ,the supermarket prices would be more expensive there than say the poorest areas of Mount Druitt 

• Sad 1