Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well it depends on someone's financial position.

If they are coming back at 65 and no own residence they will have to pay rent and either live off savings or unemployment benefits.

So they will pay rent to live probably in a regional area for cheaper prices 

Would be lonely experience if you are not financially well off 

Of course it depends on the person’s  individual circumstances!

That’s why the post you’re quoting already said:

So, for some anyway…,”

????????‍♂️

Edited by Nemises

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I see everyone quoting 50k thb month. Last time I checked was just over 40k, single person...and pretty sure the ex rate was better at the time. You lose a few add ons when you are out of the country. 

I've got 2 mates here who are on it.

Both get $998.00 P/F which equates currently to about 46 000 Baht.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I've got 2 mates here who are on it.

Both get $998.00 P/F which equates currently to about 46 000 Baht.

I wonder how if paid direct into the bank how they exchange? I guess CL would transfer AUS$ currency and then exchanged at the banks TT rate (not the advertised rate). You could knock another 2000 baht off the 46k

I guess 

So say you go back for the two years home detention....given that when you can't go back you can't check or ask questions re portability... lest you give the game away and admit you are only back 2 years so you can move back to Thailand with your pension. How can you guarantee after the two years that you will qualify for portability. Unless you got a job and even maybe then, the cost of living in Australia for 2 years and supporting a family here , not to mention the waste of time....would be an enormous loss for nothing. 

Any stories of people getting pipped at the post? Or providing you keep your nose clean, play all by the rules and everything should be ok?

11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I see everyone quoting 50k thb month. Last time I checked was just over 40k, single person...and pretty sure the ex rate was better at the time. You lose a few add ons when you are out of the country. 

You only lose any rental assistance and the Energy allowance, the annual Supplement of $707.20 remains. As of two days ago it was $998.70 paid into a mates Australian Bank account who resides here in Thailand.

It is going up on the 20th this month, as it goes up every March and September, you can work out the conversion rate, suffice to say if you used today's wise rate @ 

You send exactly
AUD

• 0 AUD
    PayID fee
  • 7.47 AUDOur fee
  • 7.47 AUDTotal fees
  • =
    991.23 AUDTotal amount we’ll convert
    22.9694Guaranteed rate (33h)
Recipient gets
THB

You could save up to 18.94 AUD

Should arrive in seconds

x that x 2 and you have 45,535.92 THB

Edited by 4MyEgo

6 hours ago, Nemises said:

the 2 years as imprisonment.

I believe the jail term for most would be expressed in the COST factor to remain there for that period.

I agree with your post in every aspect, that said, I will fly in my family in March of both years for 8 weeks during school holidays in Thailand and I will return to Thailand for 2 weeks in October.

The change will be pleasant as long as I keep busy, go for my beach walks, weekend trips around the harbour and foreshore areas, catching up with mates etc.

Working to survive there won't bother me as I was a mule once upon a time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I wonder how if paid direct into the bank how they exchange? I guess CL would transfer AUS$ currency and then exchanged at the banks TT rate (not the advertised rate). You could knock another 2000 baht off the 46k

I guess 

I am advised by friends to get it paid into an Aussie account and transfer it when required or when the rate is up, that way you control things and Wise is the cheapest by far and offers a good rate.

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Any stories of people getting pipped at the post? Or providing you keep your nose clean, play all by the rules and everything should be ok?

All you have to do is the 2 years then you qualify providing you meet the assets and income test.

Olan before hand with your story, e.g. if married, I came back to Australia 2 years ago after I separated with my wife, that's why I transferred from the Marriage extension to the Retirement extension as you can't remain on the marriage extension or you will be making a false declaration and be deported. I am on still good terms with my separated partner as we have kids, I provided her the opportunity to return to Oz for the kids, but she wouldn't have it, so I left, but will see my kids when I go over for a holiday, that said, I have worked for the past 2 years because I need to survive and also provide for my kids yiatta yiatta yiatta, and if they ask why don't you divorce, well, it costs $1,000 and that money can be used on the kids.

If your not married, don't mention it, if you are, you will have an issue, so best to say your separated.

It just occured to me, I been separated and out of contact with my Australian wife for 10 years. I might even have a separation cert dating back to then when we did property settlement, but neither of us officially divorced. A quick check of my immigration movements would show I been out of the country 10 years and she wasn't. Will thus effect Centrelink / pension payments in anyway if we are not divorced? I know some guys married to Thai women here and even thought the woman is penniless and doesn't work, they are on a married pension with a significant reduction

7 hours ago, Nemises said:

Maybe get a job as a Sydney bus driver!?  $100k a year, hundreds of vacancies...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12503693/Sydney-bus-drivers-job-no-one-wants.html

Yes I heard plenty of vacancies for night shift bus drivers on weekend nights , 

Ironically you mentioned bus driver ,I had a friend a few years ago Ron was his name came back to Australia at 64 and worked a bus driver out at Blacktown /Mount Druitt weekend nights ,ended up getting the sack the second week of working after a group of kids threw rocks at the bus.

He decided to stop the bus with passengers on board and chase the kids !

,now your 2 years should go fast working every Friday & Saturday nights as a bus driver with all the intereresting people you will meet .????

Edited by georgegeorgia

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The change will be pleasant as long as I keep busy, go for my beach walks, weekend trips around the harbour and foreshore areas,

Keeping busy & enjoying beach, coastal and harbour foreshore walks?  -  exactly what I’m doing in my spare time…and loving it!
I even grabbed a book on it (200 pages, 37 fantastic walks) - though I’m sure it’s all freely available on the net. 

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7462.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, Nemises said:

Keeping busy & enjoying beach, coastal and harbour foreshore walks?  -  exactly what I’m doing in my spare time…and loving it!
I even grabbed a book on it (200 pages, 37 fantastic walks) - though I’m sure it’s all freely available on the net. 

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7462.jpeg

I live 10 minutes walk away in a apartment near Sydney Harbour and haven't been for a walk in that area for about 3 or 4 years 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

It just occured to me, I been separated and out of contact with my Australian wife for 10 years. I might even have a separation cert dating back to then when we did property settlement, but neither of us officially divorced. A quick check of my immigration movements would show I been out of the country 10 years and she wasn't. Will thus effect Centrelink / pension payments in anyway if we are not divorced?

In short no, however the onus is on you to prove to them that you are separated, a statutory declaration can be proof as its a true declaration ????

22 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I know some guys married to Thai women here and even thought the woman is penniless and doesn't work, they are on a married pension with a significant reduction

Yep, they would currently get $802 per fortnight in Oz currently, all up vs $971.50 currently, all up, pension as you would be aware goes up on 20th September and then in March of every year, so declaring your single and don't have a partner is key to get the single rate.

13 minutes ago, Nemises said:

No Redfern for me! I’m presently living here - see . Albo’s joint is next door (Kirribilli House). Any messages for him about the OAP 2 year exile rule? ????

IMG_7499.jpeg

Your a squatter bludging on a dodgy carers pension, would be my message to Anthony. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Your a squatter bludging on a dodgy carers pension, would be my message to Anthony. 

Haha good one ???? 

But absolutely nothing “dodgy” about it. Was caring for the person just yesterday! - as easily proven by the travel history on my Opal Card. Oh, & BTW, total travel cost yesterday which included multiple bus rides, multiple train rides and an amazingly beautiful harbour ferry home from near the Opera House to Neutral Bay?  A whopping $2.50 ???? Thank you taxpayers ???? 

And thanks Albo for this week’s $1,200 (soon to be about $1,240 I think) carer’s payment! I’ll be banking of ALL of it ???? because a fridge full of fresh food & a nice bottle of ???? was kindly left for me. ????

IMG_7500.jpeg

• Love It 1

On 9/13/2023 at 6:39 PM, Adumbration said:

Interesting.  I do not qualify for the OAP because of my assets.  But if I did have to go back I already had the same thought as you.  However my plan is to buy a recumbent bike with a sun shade over the top and a small trailer in tow.

If you have a FB there is a group called "Bikepacking Australia", plenty of interesting info there. Another option which seems to get popular now is doing it with ebike. Someone just posted about his journey from Perth to Adelaide on ebike. I'm a fan of the muscle power, plus it is far easier to fly with the bike.

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

You're in Australia though aren't you?

Yes, I am I came back just to claim my pension but after a while I loved it and I stayed. I get rent and electricity help and many other things, still go to Thailand ones or twice a year. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I am I came back just to claim my pension but after a while I loved it and I stayed. I get rent and electricity help and many other things, still go to Thailand ones or twice a year. 

You need to go back to Thailand permanently, can't have you liking Australia 

• Haha 2

On 9/14/2023 at 9:09 AM, Kenny202 said:

I guess 

Well wonder & guess no more. Scroll down in the bottom link to see how it actually happens.......

Overseas account

If your payment goes into an overseas account, we’ll pay you in the local currency or US dollars. This depends on the country you’re in.

The Reserve Bank of Australia organises the payment conversion using the exchange rate at the time of payment. Usually the money will reach your account in 2 to 6 days.

Note:- Actual payment dates can be seen in the yearly payment calendar below

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/payment-schedule-and-rates-for-people-outside-australia?context=22476#a1

You must pay any fees or bank charges to use your funds while you’re outside Australia.

Use our international bank account forms to tell us your overseas account.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/payments-while-outside-australia?context=22526#:~:text=Payments while overseas,Australian or overseas bank account.

Edited by Yeah rightio
Clarification
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:36 PM, scorecard said:

(but trips in and out of Oz are allowed and the overall establishment of the 2 year period is not interupted by the time out (building the 2 years continues on uninterupted).

How long are you allowed for a 'Holiday' each year, is it up to 3 months?

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How long are you allowed for a 'Holiday' each year, is it up to 3 months?

From my understanding of reading the legislation, it is not cut and dry, however states that short trip overseas are allowed and the pension could be stopped while absent, and the time away doesn't stop the clock on the 2 years.

The above said, I would say 4 weeks, similar to annual leave should be ok. I intend to do it once a year at the moment and have the family come over once a year (6 months intervals) because getting them here with the kids means they can spend say 8 weeks during the long school holidays (March) vs me only allowed to go over for short breaks (work & Centrelink), so I would go over in October when they have the smaller school holiday break of I believe it's 10 days.

But always clear it with Centrelink before going so as to clear up any potential problems as they can put it in their system, e.g. Brian called and advised going overseas for a holiday on such and such a date and will be returning on such and such a date.

Payment may be suspended for short overseas absences during the 2-year period and does not have to be reclaimed on return to Australia. A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period).

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

What's all your views on this Law ?

Some of you say it's a jail sy.

Is it good or bad in your opinion 

I know the UK don't have such a Law.

What about NZ ..I'm hearing they can't get the pension overseas ?

Slight of subject; In the UK years ago, if you were on the dole, you could 'go on holiday for 2 weeks but must be contactable if a job came up lol before mobile phones, if you timed it right with signing on say at Xmas that would give you 4 weeks. When asked where I was staying, I said various camp sights in Wales, and off to Morocco I'd go for a month. of course I'd never do that now :giggle:

• Haha 1