Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Loving your posts, very informative. Curious to know your plan regarding accommodation for those 2 years please?

Thanks and likewise.

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and work, earning a minimum of $30 per hour 40 hours a week to give me a grand in the hand to go towards rent, say half that and the balance to survive on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

If thats $1096 a fortnight and say $2200 a month ,what is that in thai baht ?

From Scorecards link in the above post that would come to as I was saying 50,000 baht per month.

1,096.00 Australian Dollars =

25,030.013 Thai Baht

1 AUD = 22.8376 THB

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I'm guessing you mean 4 weekly (2 fortnights), there is no calendar month payment. 

But of course if anybody prefers to look at it by calendar month it's an easy calculation:

- 13 X 4 weekly payments for one year = dddddd

- Divide the dddddd by 12 gives a monthly amount.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

1. OAP recipients who have 'qualified' for portability and requested to be paid by international funds transfer every 4 weeks to a nominated bank account abroad and receive their entitlements through this method.

I'm in this group same as many other aussies, I've been receiving my full OAP and the full supplement into my K bank account every 4 weeks for several years. Never ever had any correspondence asking about returning to OZ or mentioning that my entitlement could be reduced. Never.

I found it, you are correct, you are entitled to a supplement of around $707.20 per year.

In this link there is a lot of good reading, scroll down to Pension rates while outside Australia

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/payment-schedule-and-rates-for-people-outside-australia?context=22321

We learn something everyday, I even learned that the Deeming rate will still apply to me when I return to Thailand, currently non taxable. When the time comes I will be entitled to earn $5,304 while overseas before they start to cut my pension down, but it will be like $1,361 per year from what I have worked out, previously not knowing about the supplement that is payable, that $707.20 will pretty much sort it to about $600 per year.

I might even reduce what I have even further so as to make it a break even event by the time I claim the pension.

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 9/7/2023 at 8:01 AM, Will27 said:

"The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from travelling to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas."

Absolute bull<deleted> IMO.

If you're entitled to it, you're entitled to it and should be able to get it anywhere.

Centerlink have an agreement with some countries, it should be all countries.

I wonder if this would hold up in Court.

I remember a case years and years ago.

A guy had been living in the Philippines for years with his wife and family.

He flew back to Australia to claim and told them he was returning to the Philippines once it had been granted.

Pension was refused.

Appealed and lost and took it to Court.

His defence was he had lived worked and paid taxes in Oz for a vast majority of time.

His main argument was that he couldn't afford to live in Australia and shouldn't have to leave his family behind.

He won the case and pension was granted.

Yes the 2 years rule is a stupid one and shouldn't be there. Also the other complicated rules like deeming, assets tests and so on.

The OAP should be retrofitted to resemble the US social security payments - get OAP proportionally to the taxes you paid during your working life. Worked ony 2 months in your whole life? No problem here is $20 for the month, now <deleted> off!  "Paid taxes all my life!"...hmm let's see how much you have paid, that'll be $800 a month.

Unlikely this to happen in the land of the quasi-communism, way too many voting freeloaders there.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 7:58 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Looks like I will have to bit the bullet and work, earning a minimum of $30 per hour 40 hours a week to give me a grand in the hand to go towards rent, say half that and the balance to survive on.

Nice. 

Expecting any problems finding work at the age of 65?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nemises said:

Nice. 

Who knows, things change so much. But I do know 3 or 4 blokes recently went back and got jobs in mines...not manual stuff....procurement, health and safety. If you are ok to work in a remote area seems to be available

• Like 1

It seems every time a new govt gets in they either borrow money against or cut something usually to do with pensioners to fund the latest feck up or to give to the "less fortunate". I was reading some legislation link the other day someone posted here and it is written over and over again pension is for people in need, not a right. i can remember when it was considered a right by the govt and the population. Moved the goal posts somewhere along the line. I don't like the way last 10 years they refer to peoples superannuation like it is the governments to manipulate either

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

it is written over and over again pension is for people in need, not a right.

Nope....whomever wrote that needs educating.........it's your entitlement after you clear all the application hurdles.

https://www.australiansuper.com/retirement/retirement-articles/2022/02/age-pension-eligibility-and-retirement-age

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

Nice. 

I don't believe so as I have 2 degrees and the industry I was in was always on the look out for people with my experience, e.g. I was constantly head hunted.

The above said, I wouldn't want, let me rephrase that, I won't be going back into it as I will be looking for a stress free job, afternoon or graveyard shift would suit me, although mornings don't bother me as I am a early riser.

Who knows, packing shelves for Woolworth's or Coles might be the go, or even a driver of some kind, not taxi's, been there, done that while I was doing my degrees.

Naturally I will secure something before I return.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Just wasting time , 2 years wasted unfortunately

65yo  to 67yo you serve a 2 year jail sentence

Then 10-15 years left of life 

Hopefully Labor government change this 

This won't change unfortunately because the savings to the government is a lot.

If they do change anything, it might be portability, so careful what you wish for, hopefully not before our time.

It is, what it is and those of us with families will suffer equally, perhaps even more than the single lads here.

At the end of the day, yes it sucks, but it is what it is, so we take it on the chin, plan it out well and get it over and done with.

The way I look at it is, it's on the table vs it's not, so let's do this, time flies anyways and I will have the family come over once a year during school holidays for 8 weeks and I will come to Thailand for 2-4 weeks (annual leave, working it out to be 6 months apart at each point for those 2 years, if work permits it and it's within my budget, I could also come back after 3 months for a week or two.

Just got to get over the line, that said, I am better off than most, but that 50k baht a month is something of a sweetener to be had.

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Nope....whomever wrote that needs educating.........it's your entitlement after you clear all the application hurdles.

It was originally for the less fortunate, the ones who ended up with pretty much nothing, then they brought in super to take the burden off the government, but it is still welfare, and if you qualify under the assets and income test, then as you say, complete those applications, and are approved, your all and good.

I have a mate who is spewing that his 82 year old dad isn't getting it. I said, his principal place of residence i.e. exempt (worth about 2 mil), his investment property is over the single pensioners asset threshold of about $308,000 as it's worth around $800,000 and his income is about $800 per week which is over the income threshold of $204 per fortnight, so he misses out.

He could sell his house and move into his investment property I said, i.e. if he is struggling to survive on say $500 from his investment property after say $300 in deductions, (being overly generous).

In this scenario I would say the government got it right, there has to be thresholds on assets and income, and if your smart enough and play the game right, you can qualify, which to me suggests he wasn't smart enough to unload his property (worth 2 mil) to his kids with a caveat equal to that value and move into his investment property, or the other way around, meaning he doesn't own an investment, the kids collect the rent for him, and if the kids tried to sell it, he would get his money paid to him via the caveat.

Just saying.

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 9/11/2023 at 5:01 PM, 4MyEgo said:

From Scorecards link in the above post that would come to as I was saying 50,000 baht per month.

1,096.00 Australian Dollars =

25,030.013 Thai Baht

1 AUD = 22.8376 THB

Why are you using today's exchange rate to do your calculation.

During your two years imprisonment in Australia the AUD is going to collapse to 40c on the USD.

Your fortnightly OAP will then get you circa 15K THB (if you are lucky).

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/why-the-australian-dollar-will-hit-a-record-low-in-the-next-five-years/news-story/2dec137f147d8ac624d93489e60dd353

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/08/australian-dollar-40-cents-in-2024/

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/08/australian-dollar-40-cents-on-track/

Edited by Adumbration
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

During your two years in Australia the AUD is going to collapse to 40c on the USD.

That would be 40c more than I would have had.

You worry to much, no one can predict things that far in advance, so why worry, the aim is to get to the finish line, and what comes in, comes in.

A top investment strategist has predicted the Australian dollar will drop to a record-low of US 40 cents in as soon as five years, as the world begins to enter a global recession.

Crystal Ball GIFs | Tenor

Edited by 4MyEgo

10 hours ago, gearbox said:

I don't have to go back for 2 years to claim any govt money, but if I had to, I would buy good quality bicycle and panniers, and would cycle around Oz for 2 years.

Interesting.  I do not qualify for the OAP because of my assets.  But if I did have to go back I already had the same thought as you.  However my plan is to buy a recumbent bike with a sun shade over the top and a small trailer in tow.

Edited by Adumbration

12 hours ago, gearbox said:

I don't have to go back for 2 years to claim any govt money, but if I had to, I would buy good quality bicycle and panniers, and would cycle around Oz for 2 years.

I also don't have to go back, but the thought of 50k baht a month from the government vs out of my pocket for the next 10 years, i.e. say 6,000,000 baht or $270,000 sounds better to me, besides that will be more money for the family when I depart.

I don't mind returning to work for 2 years to qualify for the pension, I would look at it as a working holiday, besides been sitting on my rear for 8 years here living off of my investments and looking for opportunities at the same time, all tax free of course.

Weekends would do things that I never could before because I was working 6/7th's of my life, sometimes 7 days a week.

To not work for those 2 years would not be feasible as it would take at least 4 years to re-coupe the outlay, but the bike with panniers sounds great.

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

https://www.australiansuper.com/retirement/retirement-articles/2022/02/age-pension-eligibility-and-retirement-age

Whatever when quoted is 100% true, the hurdles are there so it doesn't become outright entitlement. I'll never qualify for OAP unless some global turmoil of big magnitude happens. This "right" is denied to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't believe so as I have 2 degrees and the industry I was in was always on the look out for people with my experience, e.g. I was constantly head hunted.

The above said, I wouldn't want, let me rephrase that, I won't be going back into it as I will be looking for a stress free job, afternoon or graveyard shift would suit me, although mornings don't bother me as I am a early riser.

Who knows, packing shelves for Woolworth's or Coles might be the go, or even a driver of some kind, not taxi's, been there, done that while I was doing my degrees.

A friend of mine went back for an year and got a job as Uber driver, he rented the car from Uber, around $300 per week, and the earnings were enough.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I also don't have to go back, but the thought of 50k baht a month from the government vs out of my pocket for the next 10 years, i.e. say 6,000,000 baht or $270,000 sounds better to me, besides that will be more money for the family when I depart.

I don't mind returning to work for 2 years to qualify for the pension, I would look at it as a working holiday, besides been sitting on my rear for 8 years here living off of my investments and looking for opportunities at the same time, all tax free of course.

Weekends would do things that I never could before because I was working 6/7th's of my life, sometimes 7 days a week.

To not work for those 2 years would not be feasible as it would take at least 4 years to re-coupe the outlay, but the bike with panniers sounds great.

Each to their own...I wouldn't trade 2 years for 270k. After 60 life is carpe diem.  Money is worthless if I get sick and watch all day in the backyard how the bamboo grows.

• Thanks 1

I also see everyone quoting the 2 years as imprisonment. Last time I checked Australia was a first world country with the cleanest air in the world (Tasmania), more snow than Switzerland, the largest eco-system in the world (Barrier Reef) and over 60 separate wine countries. It’s rainforests, beaches, scenic coastlines, skylines, harbours and cities are amongst the best in world. The climate (especially if returning to the southern states) offers a welcome change from the high heat and humidity of Thailand.
A lot have families and friends waiting for them in Australia whilst others fly-in their Thai-based loved ones to join them for exciting Australian holidays. 
So, for some anyway, doing those 2 years to qualify for the OAP for the rest of your life can be an enjoyable experience! 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Night shift security guard even if a couple nights a week factory or gatehouse would be ok 

I would stay away from Uber Taxi picking up drunks weekends 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

I also see everyone quoting the 2 years as imprisonment. Last time I checked Australia was a first world country with the cleanest air in the world (Tasmania), more snow than Switzerland, the largest eco-system in the world (Barrier Reef) and over 60 separate wine countries. It’s rainforests, beaches, scenic coastlines, skylines, harbours and cities are amongst the best in world. The climate (especially if returning to the southern states) offers a welcome change from the high heat and humidity of Thailand.
A lot have families and friends waiting for them in Australia whilst others fly-in their Thai-based loved ones to join them for exciting Australian holidays. 
So, for some anyway, doing those 2 years to qualify for the OAP for the rest of your life can be an enjoyable experience! 

Well it depends on someone's financial position.

If they are coming back at 65 and no own residence they will have to pay rent and either live off savings or unemployment benefits.

So they will pay rent to live probably in a regional area for cheaper prices 

Would be lonely experience if you are not financially well off 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I see everyone quoting 50k thb month. Last time I checked was just over 40k, single person...and pretty sure the ex rate was better at the time. You lose a few add ons when you are out of the country. 

I thought this too but others are saying it works out to be 50k a month once exchanged

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Maybe get a job as a Sydney bus driver!?  $100k a year, hundreds of vacancies...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12503693/Sydney-bus-drivers-job-no-one-wants.html

• Haha 1