Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What's all your views on this Law ?

Some of you say it's a jail sy.

Is it good or bad in your opinion 

I know the UK don't have such a Law.

What about NZ ..I'm hearing they can't get the pension overseas ?

Trying to compare the various systems existing in othe countries is like comparing an apple with a crocodile. There's no 'like' or very similar aspects involved.

In any case why should OZ copy the attitudes / laws / regulations etc., of any other country.

I did the 2 years, I enjoyed myself, Ihad no real objections, I returned to my family in LOS unscathed. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gearbox said:

If you have a FB there is a group called "Bikepacking Australia", plenty of interesting info there. Another option which seems to get popular now is doing it with ebike. Someone just posted about his journey from Perth to Adelaide on ebike. I'm a fan of the muscle power, plus it is far easier to fly with the bike.

I dont use social media.  But thanks very much for that link.  Low tech is always best. However who knows where my health will be in the future.  I am skating on thin ice in that regard already.  Something that I have done in the past and would consider doing again is not just riding around but doing so to raise money for a charity.  I did that in a former life to raise money to buy equipment for a children's hospital.  

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:30 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I believe the jail term for most would be expressed in the COST factor to remain there for that period.

I agree with your post in every aspect, that said, I will fly in my family in March of both years for 8 weeks during school holidays in Thailand and I will return to Thailand for 2 weeks in October.

The change will be pleasant as long as I keep busy, go for my beach walks, weekend trips around the harbour and foreshore areas, catching up with mates etc.

Working to survive there won't bother me as I was a mule once upon a time.

Why don't you go back AFTER you have already reached the age to qualify.  Then you would be staying in prison for two years on the taxpayer's dime and not yours?

Also you should stop doing your exchange rate calculations based on today's rates.  As China collapses and takes the AUD with it you will be getting nothing like the rate available today.  In fact over the next five years the AUD is going to hit it all time historical lows.  And well deserved due to the retarded decisions by successive governments to keep the housing ponzi afloat.  Yes they will maintain million dollars prices for houses, but the AUD will be worthless.

Edited by Adumbration

19 hours ago, Nemises said:

I’m presently at this location in SYD killing 1 of my 730 days “pension detention”. I guess many reading this had heaps of fun here back in the day. 
The TGF arrives in SYD in a couple of weeks and she appears excited about coming to LP:

IMG_7603.jpeg

When I was there last year with family on holiday, you had to book online, I was going to book the Halloween night for them, but after I read the revues, a lot of people weren't happy, so I said we will do it in the day, then I read the fine print, and it said if it's raining, no rain check, not refundable, so we gave it a wide birth.

Luna Park is very expensive in my opinion and so are the other sites like Sydney Tower, and Darling Harbour Aquarium, but hey, there is a sucker born every minute I guess.

If my TGF was coming over, I would consider take her to Luna Park as it would be a once in a lifetime thing and you would be entertaining her while she is there. I opted to take the kids on the train and bus to Bondi Beach, had lunch on the grass surface in a hut looking out to the beach, then caught a bus to Watson's Bay, then a ferry to Circular Quay, then another to Manly, big day, but loads of fun/ The Zoo on another day was a better choice value wise than Luna Park, considering the fine prints, and after 3 hours the kids wanted to call it a day, too much walking for them....lol. To me the Zoo is a worthwhile exercise, and educational with the best view over Sydney.

Note: The day I was going to book Luna Park, it was raining, so that money would have gone down the drain.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Why don't you go back AFTER you have already reached the age to qualify.  Then you would be staying in prison for two years on the taxpayer's dime and not yours?

Being there beforehand looks better in my opinion when applying for the pension, vs going back when you have reached pension age, and for what it's worth, they could change the rules down the track, so why not get in early.

I have never been one to sit on my rear until I retired here some 8 years ago, but keep myself busy doing what I want, when I like and for how long I want.

The way I see it returning at 65 and working will keep me busy till the family arrives each year at 6 monthly intervals and me returning once after 6 months, then 4 months after receiving the pension.

Never sponged off the taxpayer, but at pension age, I am entitled to as I qualify, regardless of how many hundreds of thousands of $'s I have paid in my 40 years of working in Oz, and getting the pension over here will be a bonus or top up if you like. I don't worry what the Oz $ will be worth in the future, a bird in the hand is better than in the bush as the saying goes. 

23 hours ago, brianthainess said:

How long are you allowed for a 'Holiday' each year, is it up to 3 months?

This is the guide to use if questioned regarding residency during the two year period, to make winnable arguments at AAT level if required; provided you fit within the parameters.

Multiple self funded short trips are acceptable...... follow the 183 day rule!!

"When looking at the pattern and duration of time spent outside Australia, if a person regularly spends more than 6 months a year outside Australia, then their residence in Australia is questionable."

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/3/1/1/10

27 minutes ago, Yeah rightio said:

This is the guide to use if questioned regarding residency during the two year period, to make winnable arguments at AAT level if required; provided you fit within the parameters.

Multiple self funded short trips are acceptable...... follow the 183 day rule!!

"When looking at the pattern and duration of time spent outside Australia, if a person regularly spends more than 6 months a year outside Australia, then their residence in Australia is questionable."

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/3/1/1/10

Link to parental leave? 

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

When I was there last year with family on holiday, you had to book online, I was going to book the Halloween night for them, but after I read the revues, a lot of people weren't happy, so I said we will do it in the day, then I read the fine print, and it said if it's raining, no rain check, not refundable, so we gave it a wide birth.

Luna Park is very expensive in my opinion and so are the other sites like Sydney Tower, and Darling Harbour Aquarium, but hey, there is a sucker born every minute I guess.

If my TGF was coming over, I would consider take her to Luna Park as it would be a once in a lifetime thing and you would be entertaining her while she is there. I opted to take the kids on the train and bus to Bondi Beach, had lunch on the grass surface in a hut looking out to the beach, then caught a bus to Watson's Bay, then a ferry to Circular Quay, then another to Manly, big day, but loads of fun/ The Zoo on another day was a better choice value wise than Luna Park, considering the fine prints, and after 3 hours the kids wanted to call it a day, too much walking for them....lol. To me the Zoo is a worthwhile exercise, and educational with the best view over Sydney.

Note: The day I was going to book Luna Park, it was raining, so that money would have gone down the drain.

Having worked in Elizabeth Street I can honestly say Sydney is way overated.  It takes a day, maybe two at the most to visit the cool and historic sights.  And then you are just in a pretentious, overpriced, self important sh*t hole filled with zombies with glazed expressions.  As for cultural or other such events, there is no way the OP would be able to afford to pay for all of his family to attend.

IMHO he would be much better off to set up camp in a North Queensland farming town such as Ayre.  Good climate, cheap rent and lots of seasonal work.

He also needs to rethink the strategy to fly his family over on multiple occassions.  That is a very poor use of his capital.  If there are two trips with let's say, a total cost of 15K AUD each time (tickets, sight seeing etc) that is 700K THB that he could use to buy a red chanote block of land in Isaan and put it in his kid's or wife's name.  In the future they will appreciate that far greater than the memory of eating a 12 dollar icecreams while looking at the harbour bridge.

Also @4MyEgo I note you are now referring to your Thai parnter as your TGF whereas previously you referred to her as your wife.  Amusing that you are now window dressing your back story in the wake of me raising the issue of fraud.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

then another to Manly, big day, but loads of fun/ The Zoo on another day was a better choice value wise than Luna Park

This may interest if you’re ever over the north side near Luna Park. I literally walked into it yesterday whilst walking home from Luna Park to Neutral Bay. It’s the former Navy submarine base, presently being turned into a museum. Opens later this year according to the signage. 

IMG_7619.jpeg

IMG_7618.jpeg

IMG_7617.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Luna Park is very expensive in my opinion

No, not expensive at all! You have 2 years to kill so why not buy an annual pass for $150. Ride all day, every day for less than 50 cents a day! ???????????? ….and includes free chilled water at the refill stations! ????
That’s one year sorted, just one to go! ????

Oh, and just imagine all the hot female staff you’d get to potentially know, maybe intimately! - just like Tom Hanks did in The Terminal and Bill Murray in Groundhog Day ????????????

The cost to get there (LP) and home from anywhere in Sydney is capped at $2.50 and hot ‘roasts of the day’ (shown in the photo) at the bowling club are less than $10.00 ????️

❤️ Sydney !

IMG_7657.jpeg

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Also @4MyEgo I note you are now referring to your Thai parnter as your TGF whereas previously you referred to her as your wife.  Amusing that you are now window dressing your back story in the wake of me raising the issue of fraud.

When I said, if my TGF was coming over, that was a hypothetical.

How can one be making a fraudulent claim if they say they are separated ?

Perhaps it would please you that I divorce, spend the $1,000 and make my application online. That to me would be a total waste of money.

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

He also needs to rethink the strategy to fly his family over on multiple occassions.  That is a very poor use of his capital.  If there are two trips with let's say, a total cost of 15K AUD each time (tickets, sight seeing etc) that is 700K THB that he could use to buy a red chanote block of land in Isaan and put it in his kid's or wife's name.  In the future they will appreciate that far greater than the memory of eating a 12 dollar icecreams while looking at the harbour bridge.

While I agree with most of your post, bringing the family over twice in two years is something I have factored into my working for 2 years. You see, I would only be paying for two additional tickets (3 travellers) as opposed to me travelling back on each occasion for a short period of time (working) vs kids long school holiday period during March-May each year. 

Being a close knit family, and being away from each other for such long periods, i.e. (6 months) will be hard, that said, when they come, they will have accommodation paid for, as for ice-creams, we always buy a container of ice-cream from Woollies plus the cones, works out a lot cheaper than buying 4 individual ice-creams at an ice-cream shop as you say, $12 each, although the taste/quality might not be as nice, it's like buying a 40 baht cup at Wendy's vs a 199 baht ice-cream in a glass cup at Swenson's, we don't waste money, same applies to coffee, take my own vs paying $5 for one, add another $5 and I can buy enough coffee for 100 cups, besides I take it black. I could go on and say we take cut lunches at times, while we eat out at other times, like at the Zoo, it's ok to spoil ones self every now and again, within reason, but $47 for a rib-eye in an RSL club is a joke vs a $17 chicken Schnitzel. 

Sightseeing as previously mentioned is the way to go vs the outrages prices they charge to see over rated stuff, e.g. The Tower, at least $100 + vs a free walk over the Coat Hanger and then a nice walk around the Quay to The Botanical Gardens.

41 minutes ago, Nemises said:

No, not expensive at all! You have 2 years to kill so why not buy an annual pass for $150. Ride all day, every day for less than 50 cents a day! ???????????? ….and includes free chilled water at the refill stations! ????

X that by 4 = $600

41 minutes ago, Nemises said:

and hot ‘roasts of the day’ (shown in the photo) at the bowling club are less than $10.00 ????️

Ok for those who don't mind the cheaper meals, but I'm spoilt having such a great cook of a wife who has taught me how to also cook, not at her level yet though, but for $10 I could wipe up a lot more than that to fill my somewhat largish stomach. Alternatively I imagine I could still buy a whole cooked chicken at Woolies for about $13.00 which would also be used for chicken sandwiches for lunch the next day ????

Appreciate the feedback though, not forgetting how expensive Sydney is apart from the $2.50 Seniors Card Fare.

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

That’s one year sorted, just one to go! ????

Oh, and just imagine all the hot female staff you’d get to potentially know, maybe intimately! - just like Tom Hanks did in The Terminal and Bill Murray in Groundhog Day ????????????

The cost to get there (LP) and home from anywhere in Sydney is capped at $2.50 and hot ‘roasts of the day’ (shown in the photo) at the bowling club are less than $10.00 ????️

❤️ Sydney !

IMG_7657.jpeg

Kirribilli bowling club ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

the memory of eating a 12 dollar icecreams while looking at the harbour bridge.

This ice cream for the TGF whilst looking at the harbour bridge and Opera House (!) from the magnificent views of the Botanical Gardens 3 months ago, cost just five dollars ($5.00) …no where near “12 dollars”!

IMG_7665.jpeg

44 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Kirribilli bowling club ????

No mate. Just a few kms away on your free Opal Card!! (Free assuming you’ve already max’d out the daily $2.50)

Roast of the Day price is $10.50 - cheaper for members. Next to nothing to join Sydney clubs these days. I’ve joined 5 clubs so far already during my first 10 months of detention. Recovered membership joining outlays after just 2 meals and a drink. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

I have a friend retired judge in Sydney free travel on public transport card , unbelievable he can afford it but it's all free as part of his perks !

Travelled by train last  week out to western suburbs of Sydney with him and he is boasting  " look at that free travel for me and you peasants still have to pay ! ????

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have a friend retired judge in Sydney free travel on public transport card , unbelievable he can afford it but it's all free as part of his perks !

Travelled by train last  week out to western suburbs of Sydney with him and he is boasting  " look at that free travel for me and you peasants still have to pay ! ????

Sydney bus drivers are now being offered free travel across the network, just like your learned judge mate!

Also being offered is a $6,000 sign-on bonus!!! ????

Possible job opportunity perhaps for AN members needing to find work for their 2 year AU exile? ???? 

We’re giving bus drivers a ticket to ride, with a staff Opal card so they can travel for free on the public transport network.”

“We are doing everything we can to attract new bus drivers and support our current workforce in NSW.”

“This is a no-brainer. We are taking action to address a key recommendation out of the Bus Industry Taskforce’s interim Report and support our hard-working frontline staff.”

Staff will be able to use these cards to travel across the Opal-enabled public transport network, including to and from work, and to access other facilities like train station bathrooms while they’re out on the road.”

“We want drivers to be able to comfortably take breaks between shifts, before getting back on the road and fulfilling their vital roles connecting the community.”

https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/free-public-transport-for-bus-drivers

• Confused 1

On 9/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, Nemises said:

Sydney bus drivers are now being offered free travel across the network, just like your learned judge mate!

Possible job opportunity perhaps for AN members needing to find work for their 2 year AU exile? ???? 

We’re giving bus drivers a ticket to ride, with a staff Opal card so they can travel for free on the public transport network.”

“We are doing everything we can to attract new bus drivers and support our current workforce in NSW.”

“This is a no-brainer. We are taking action to address a key recommendation out of the Bus Industry Taskforce’s interim Report and support our hard-working frontline staff.”

Staff will be able to use these cards to travel across the Opal-enabled public transport network, including to and from work, and to access other facilities like train station bathrooms while they’re out on the road.”

“We want drivers to be able to comfortably take breaks between shifts, before getting back on the road and fulfilling their vital roles connecting the community.”

https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/free-public-transport-for-bus-drivers

Confusing.

If someone went back to Oz to start the 'process' of re-establishing residence, and soon after return applied for the OAP and received approval and payments started, how could that person work as a bus driver.

The bus driver salary would take the person way over the limit a person receiving the OAP can legally earn.

Or am I confused?

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Confusing.

If someone went back to Oz to start the 'process' of re-establishing residence, and soon after return applied for the OAP and received approval and payments started, how could that person work as a bus driver.

The bus driver salary would take the person way over the limit a person receiving the OAP can legally earn.

Or am I confused?

I think whether you are on the old age pension or not a moot point. The point is you have to be a resident of Australia for 2 years before receiving  portability, not on the pension for 2 years. So say your qualifying age is 67yo. You go back at 65 and get a job as a bus driver. The day you turn 67yo you can apply for the OAP then should get automatic portability and back to Thailand the next week (I think). Or alternatively you could return at 67yo....go straight on the OAP or not....instead get a job....either way you still need o stay in Australia for the 2 years before you can come back to Thailand with your OAP

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I think whether you are on the old age pension or not a moot point. The point is you have to be a resident of Australia for 2 years before receiving  portability, not on the pension for 2 years. So say your qualifying age is 67yo. You go back at 65 and get a job as a bus driver. The day you turn 67yo you can apply for the OAP then should get automatic portability and back to Thailand the next week (I think). Or alternatively you could return at 67yo....go straight on the OAP or not....instead get a job....either way you still need o stay in Australia for the 2 years before you can come back to Thailand with your OAP

Agreed,

I wasn't considering a case where the person went back and worked for about 2 ears and then applied for the OAP.

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 5:28 PM, Nemises said:

I recall decades ago when I worked for the State Rail Authority (10 years) anyone who worked for the State Rail Authority or State buses received a free travel pass to and from work.

I also recall the stress the bus drivers had to endure with bus inspectors at basically every point noting their times of arrivals and putting the boot in if they were late, (traffic) wasn't an excuse.

Personally, I wouldn't do that job for quids.

If anyone returns at 65, I would suggest a low level stressed job, enough to make to cover your expenses, depending on your lifestyle, without compromising on your comforts, for me, I would need at least $60,400 per annum, half would go to rent after tax, the balance food as travel would be about $2.50 a day with the Seniors Card which everyone can obtain at age 60.

The above figure could include O/T as it wouldn't really bother me, as it would fill in the time, if needed.

I always thought Bunnings would be a cruisy gig if you weren't after big bucks. I remember it was the retirees go to, particularly a lot of the older guys who lost their retirement plan on the stock market with various recessions. Does it pay a livable single wage? Do they still recruit seniors? 

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I always thought Bunnings would be a cruisy gig if you weren't after big bucks. I remember it was the retirees go to, particularly a lot of the older guys who lost their retirement plan on the stock market with various recessions. Does it pay a livable single wage? Do they still recruit seniors? 

Don't like the thought of being on my feet all day, back issues.

https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Salary/Bunnings-Warehouse-Senior-Team-Member-Salaries-E140287_D_KO19,37.htm

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

travel would be about $2.50 a day with the Seniors Card which everyone can obtain at age 60.

Incorrect, not everyone!

To be eligible for a NSW Seniors Card, you must be a NSW permanent resident aged 60 or over, doing no more than an average of 20 hours of paid work a week, across a 12 month period.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

Incorrect, not everyone!

To be eligible for a NSW Seniors Card, you must be a NSW permanent resident aged 60 or over, doing no more than an average of 20 hours of paid work a week, across a 12 month period.

I applied for mine online from over here and used it for the 10 days I was there last year, using the Seniors Opal Card.

How are they going to know if your a resident or not, come on, sometimes you got to break the rules.

Gomer Pyle Meme Generator - Imgflip