Bringing daughter to the US

fredwiggy

I'm asking around, here and with Visa companies, who of course want my business, what I'll need to bring my daughter to the USA for a visit this November. She is 6, was born here, has a US passport and of course has US citizenship by birth to a US citizen. Asking others who are in the same boat, US citizens,  who have brought their children, born here, to the US specifically, and what they had to do. I have joint custody but from what I hear from others, I really don't need a letter from her mom for permission to travel, as her signing the passport gives my daughter permission to travel already. I'm sure she would give me the letter anyway, as it's just for a visit this year. I'm more asking about if she needs a visa to travel  to a country which  actually shes a citizen of.

• Confused 1

Get the letter to be sure. She will exit on her Thai passport and then enter the US on her US passport. My kids did it alone at 12 years old. 

I have never heard of signing the passport. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm more asking about if she needs a visa to travel  to a country which  actually shes a citizen of.

Oh goodness.  Very complex issue best get a lawyer.  

But you do need a letter from her mother.

• Sad 1

I have only the US passport which is still valid. Does she need a visa, did your kids? She's only 6 so is going with me. Her mom has her Thai passport and I'm sure she will give it to me.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

She has only the US passport which is still valid. Does she need a visa, did your kids? She's only 6 so is going with me.

She needs no visa at all, as a citizen she walks right in. But she does need a Thai passport to come back home on. Thai passports are easy if you and the mom can go with her. Here in BKK it takes just an hour or so to file all the papers. Then it is sent by EMS to your chosen address. Took 4 days for my daughters latest one. 

The beauty of being a dual citizen and carrying two passports is there is no need for a visa in either country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marin said:

She needs no visa at all, as a citizen she walks right in. But she does need a Thai passport to come back home on. Thai passports are easy if you and the mom can go with her. Here in BKK it takes just an hour or so to file all the papers. Then it is sent by EMS to your chosen address. Took 4 days for my daughters latest one. 

The beauty of being a dual citizen and carrying two passports is there is no need for a visa in either country.

I edited my comment, saying she does have a Thai passport, her mom has it with her. We are divorced and I have joint custody.

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I edited my comment, saying she does have a Thai passport, her mom has it with her. We are divorced and I have joint custody.

Have a great time. Just be sure out of here on Thai Passport, enter the US on US Passport, exit US on US Passport and enter Thailand on Thai. You can go with her to the Thai desks at BKK immigration. I took my twins alone at 9 and it was a gas. Just be prepared for washing and combing her hair among other things. 555

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, marin said:

Have a great time. Just be sure out of here on Thai Passport, enter the US on US Passport, exit US on US Passport and enter Thailand on Thai. You can go with her to the Thai desks at BKK immigration. I took my twins alone at 9 and it was a gas. Just be prepared for washing and combing her hair among other things. 555

Thanks. I take better care of her than her mom, who gave her other two daughters to her ex's and their families at ages 8 and 10. Doesn't really want the job, it's mainly for show and cuteness. Age takes away the cuteness and the child becomes a burden to a lot of moms here, so they're often given to grandparents. I will move back home eventually with her, and her mom knows it would be a better choice for living here, but she isn't ready to do that yet, because of the mentioned ideations.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Under law a US citizen must use their US passport to enter and leave the United States no matter what other citizenship they hold. The US Dept of State cannot issue a visa to a US citizen, only an alien.  Of course they cannot put any limitation on the stay of a US citizen in the US or deny entry. Holding a valid US passport is prima facie  evidence of US citizenship and can be validated at any official port of entry

I think you are confusing visas with child custody or airline boarding/identification issues and I fortunately know nothing about that.????

Edited by Captain Monday

58 minutes ago, marin said:

Get the letter to be sure. She will exit on her Thai passport and then enter the US on her US passport. My kids did it alone at 12 years old. 

I have never heard of signing the passport. 

I agree. My son, US citizen travels with me regularly from Thailand to the US. I've always utilized an (English Language) notarized consent to travel document. However, our last departure in April, immigration told me that I would be required to provide a document in Thai and procured from the Ampur. Why, not sure. 

As many have stated, have both passports for your travels. Also, ensure the mother knows the travel plans, day and time of departure in the event immigration decides to call her. They always call my son's mother to verify.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Oh goodness.  Very complex issue best get a lawyer.  

But you do need a letter from her mother.

Yes on the letter, no on the lawyer. The kid is a US citizen. She gets automatic entry.

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Thanks. I take better care of her than her mom, who gave her other two daughters to her ex's and their families at ages 8 and 10. Doesn't really want the job, it's mainly for show and cuteness. Age takes away the cuteness and the child becomes a burden to a lot of moms here, so they're often given to grandparents. I will move back home eventually with her, and her mom knows it would be a better choice for living here, but she isn't ready to do that yet, because of the mentioned ideations.

If that is the case and your gut feeling mentioned above is correct not this time but the sooner you do it the better for her to be raised in the U. S. 

PM me I have a friend lawyer in BKK,  across from the Embassy based on your story your needs some reassurance and confirmation. 

I believe she is in Thailand I can provide you with personal cell and email. Can mention I'm a friend in the past if nothing but advice clarification no charge. 

Up to you as they say good luck. 

This is really a no brainer.

US passport at checkin Thai passport at immigration, US passport at port of entry in US

Thai passport back in to Thailand

I guess the only fly in the ointment here is the assumption that your ex will give up his Thai passport.

You also need to get her to go to the amphur and get the consent for him to leave the country. No, that's not always requested, but you don't want to be dealing with an stroppy immigration guy on the day.

I've travelled alone with my son many times.

He even went alone when he was 14 or 15 to spend the summer with his Grandparents in California.

Me and Mrs G took him to BKK, got him all checked in, then the airline took care of him through immigration and the transfer in NRT. 

Grandma picked him up in LAX, no problems, but get passports and that letter from the amphur

Edited by GinBoy2