EC Endorses All MPs Elect

snoop1130

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like a meeting between Pheu Thai and MFP has also been successful in hammering out the speaker allocations.  Lets see what tomorrow brings and then wait while we hold out breaths to see what occurs with the PM validation.

Like this is going to make a difference to us as foreigners or to the Thai population in general.

2 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

500 members of parliament!?! :w00t:

Is this new, or have there always been 500 people? Sounds an awful lot even considering the size of Thailand, but also considering that most people in there are not wealthy. That's a lot of salaries and pensions to pay for them...

And think that Thailand has 77 states with every state has the bureaucratic pyramid...That might made sense 50 years ago, when it needed days to reach some far away state over bad roads. But since we have internet it could be reduced to something between 0 and 10. (might make sense to give some areas like the Muslim areas, some Northern areas some independent local bureaucracies....but not 77) 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Like this is going to make a difference to us as foreigners or to the Thai population in general.

Well from 2002 to now it got far worse for us foreigner. At that time visas were no problem at all. Much of the bad came from the Thaksin party. So politic has influence.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Excellent news for the country. Parliament can now convene and the first order of the day is to elect the House speakers and the deputies within 15 days. Followed by another meeting to select the prime minister. The elected Prime Minister will form the cabinet and be royally endorsed. We should have a civilian government in early August. ????

might be a bit longer as there will be some fight over the juicy positions in the coalition.....But that should be finished mid August.

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think he will become the new General Prem and take up permanent residence in the house he currently resides in.  There will then be the annual trip to visit him by the new PM and a kissing of the ring for a blessing of good fortune for the New Year.  Just mu view.

Prayuth is not the quality of Prem......

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Excellent news for the country. Parliament can now convene and the first order of the day is to elect the House speakers and the deputies within 15 days. Followed by another meeting to select the prime minister. The elected Prime Minister will form the cabinet and be royally endorsed. We should have a civilian government in early August. ????

Don't get too excited right yet. The biggest hurdle has yet  to be crossed..

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Don't get too excited right yet. The biggest hurdle has yet  to be crossed..

Indeed.

Many are still confused as to the rules of order and how things truly work here.

• Like 1

It's good to remember history...it repeats itself quite often here.

January 6 - Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party wins in general election

January 18 - Constitutional Court agrees to put Thaksin, who is set to become prime minister, on trial for allegedly concealing assets when he was in government in 1997. The move comes a month after his indictment by the National Countercorruption Commission, an independent body. Thaksin denied any wrongdoing in the case.

February 9 - King Bhumibol Adulyadej appoints Thaksin prime minister. He would become the country's first prime minister to serve a full-term in office.

August 3 -- In an 8-7 decision, the Constitutional Court acquits Thaksin of concealing assets, citing insufficient evidence. He avoids a ban from politics.

It took ~ six months for the court to come to a decision.

Thaksin had a HUGE electoral mandate ~ 248 MPs from 500, and no senators. MFP has 151 from 500 with 250 patrician senators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, h90 said:

.But yes with Prayut it got much worse

Yes, i guesss that's what i meant. As I've been here for just over 10 yars, so i can only speak from what i've seen in that time. I wasn't actually aware that it was even mroe relaxed before Thaksin's goverment. But do you not think that it will thghten even further with the Move Forward party? I'm curious to see what other people think of this too..  

Edited by Kaopad999

5 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

It's good to remember history...it repeats itself quite often here.

January 6 - Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party wins in general election

January 18 - Constitutional Court agrees to put Thaksin, who is set to become prime minister, on trial for allegedly concealing assets when he was in government in 1997. The move comes a month after his indictment by the National Countercorruption Commission, an independent body. Thaksin denied any wrongdoing in the case.

February 9 - King Bhumibol Adulyadej appoints Thaksin prime minister. He would become the country's first prime minister to serve a full-term in office.

August 3 -- In an 8-7 decision, the Constitutional Court acquits Thaksin of concealing assets, citing insufficient evidence. He avoids a ban from politics.

It took ~ six months for the court to come to a decision.

Thaksin had a HUGE electoral mandate ~ 248 MPs from 500, and no senators. MFP has 151 from 500 with 250 patrician senators.

Yes and it is well know that he made huge illegal profit by the 1997 crises, so did many others, as they know from the collapse of the Thai Baht in advance. I doubt that he was the first prime minister that served a full term. When you look the list you see several with 9, 8, 5 years in office.

12 hours ago, bannork said:

According to Thai Enquirer

20230619_200925.jpg

As a new FY 2024 budget MUST be inplace before September 1, 2023 the appointment and royal endorsement of the new government ( PM & Cabinet ) cannot be delayed practically any later after July to allow full presentation and approval by the House and Senate.

Considering the new government's budget proposal will likely include hereto historically new progressive spending and cuts, there is pressure on the "old guard" not to grandstand rigid resistance or otherwise defame the nation and its security! "What goes around comes around." 

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yes, i guesss that's what i meant. As I've been here for just over 10 yars, so i can only speak from what i've seen in that time. I wasn't actually aware that it was even mroe relaxed before Thaksin's goverment. But do you not think that it will thghten even further with the Move Forward party? I'm curious to see what other people think of this too..  

before you gave a few hundred Bahts and got a new stamp either in Bangkok or later the Passport made a border run...(without you). Retired people stayed for decades like that in Thailand...you could do it infinity. That was very big drama when people who were old already and since decades in Thailand were out of Visa suddenly....
(Edit: I think it was under Thaksin....I might be wrong, but for sure it was before Prayut)

Edited by h90
small add
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

As a new FY 2024 budget MUST be inplace before September 1, 2023 the appointment and royal endorsement of the new government ( PM & Cabinet ) cannot be delayed practically any later after July to allow full presentation and approval by the House and Senate.

Considering the new government's budget proposal will likely include hereto historically new progressive spending and cuts, there is pressure on the "old guard" not to grandstand rigid resistance or otherwise defame the nation and its security! "What goes around comes around." 

MFP has include a zero-based budgeting approach in their policies. The traditional budgeting approach uses the previous year's budget as a base. The MFP zero-based budgeting approach startes from zero base and requires every government agency to justify all its expenses for the next fiscal year and prioritise their most urgent. Got to like the progressive approach shaking up the old ways which has little accountability and responsibility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

requires every government agency to justify all its expenses for the next fiscal year

Yeah the RTA won't be happy. I wonder who will be the Defense Minister?

And that sub may have go with sails instead of an engine.

4 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

500 members of parliament!?! :w00t:

Is this new, or have there always been 500 people? Sounds an awful lot even considering the size of Thailand, but also considering that most people in there are not wealthy. That's a lot of salaries and pensions to pay for them...

"The House of Representatives has 500 members, of which 400 are elected through single member constituency elections, while the other 100 are chosen through party lists parallel voting." (From Wikipedia)

Edited by sambum

9 hours ago, pegman said:

I really do not think Prayut has the trust that Prem had. The election results couldn't be much worse for the Privy Council's aims. There will be interesting times ahead. Two very powerful forces are about to collide 

"Two very powerful forces are about to collide"

....and the winner will be the one with the tanks as usual.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Tend to agree with you, Nothing much ever changes for the general population as a result of these events despite the rhetoric. Any improvement for foreigners is highly unlikely and  would be a totally  unintended consequence. 

All these naive posters gushing their support for this new kid on the block,  expecting Thailand to evolve into some sort of left wing utopia are living in a fantasy world  and are, inevitably, going to be very disappointed.

The saying "things can only get better" is far from true, things can indeed get a whole lot worse and probably will  

" Better the devil you know"  in my opinion

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Tend to agree with you, Nothing much ever changes for the general population as a result of these events despite the rhetoric. Any improvement for foreigners is highly unlikely and  would be a totally  unintended consequence. 

All these naive posters gushing their support for this new kid on the block,  expecting Thailand to evolve into some sort of left wing utopia are living in a fantasy world  and are, inevitably, going to be very disappointed.

The saying "things can only get better" is far from true, things can indeed get a whole lot worse and probably will  

" Better the devil you know"  in my opinion

Most people commenting here are thinking about Thailand rather than any effects on foreigners.

And a party of youthful, hopeful, intelligent, forward looking individuals is a whole lot better than stern faced retirees in charge with nothing to offer the young 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

The tightening on visa rules came from Prayut 's Mob

Visa rules have been getting progressively tighter over the last 30 years the only exception being the covid extensions that were handed out last year, which was purely due to the exceptional circumstances, No government has made any positive improvements for us , Why would they ?   The downwards trend will continue as normal. 

If Pita becomes PM he may well enjoy a "honeymoon" period , but it won't last forever, and once his popularity fades due to him failing to fulfill his promises, he will show his true colours and revert to type, meaning we can expect a healthy dose of nationalism as he fights to maintain his position. 

This will have only negative consequences for foreigners here,  

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Visa rules have been getting progressively tighter over the last 30 years the only exception being the covid extensions that were handed out last year, which was purely due to the exceptional circumstances, No government has made any positive improvements for us , Why would they ?   The downwards trend will continue as normal. 

If Pita becomes PM he may well enjoy a "honeymoon" period , but it won't last forever, and once his popularity fades due to him failing to fulfill his promises, he will show his true colours and revert to type, meaning we can expect a healthy dose of nationalism as he fights to maintain his position. 

This will have only negative consequences for foreigners here,  

I can't help but wonder why there is a tendency to make things unnecessarily challenging for foreigners, considering the significant interest in living and contributing financially to this place. It seems evident that embracing foreign residents can only bring about positive outcomes.. I don't know, maybe i'm missing something? 

Edited by Kaopad999

1 minute ago, bannork said:

Most people commenting here are thinking about Thailand rather than any effects on foreigners.

And a party of youthful, hopeful, intelligent, forward looking individuals is a whole lot better than stern faced retirees in charge with nothing to offer the young 

I understand your optimism, but, I don't share it. so  don't hold your breath.  I genuinely doubt that much , if anything will improve, except perhaps for the new noses in the trough.  We will just have to wait and see what happens. I may be pleasantly surprised but I seriously doubt it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, h90 said:

And think that Thailand has 77 states with every state has the bureaucratic pyramid...That might made sense 50 years ago, when it needed days to reach some far away state over bad roads. But since we have internet it could be reduced to something between 0 and 10. (might make sense to give some areas like the Muslim areas, some Northern areas some independent local bureaucracies....but not 77) 

But that would mean that thousands upon thousands of bureaucrats would be out of a job. And those that remained would be terribly overworked ...

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

MFP has include a zero-based budgeting approach in their policies. The traditional budgeting approach uses the previous year's budget as a base. The MFP zero-based budgeting approach startes from zero base and requires every government agency to justify all its expenses for the next fiscal year and prioritise their most urgent. Got to like the progressive approach shaking up the old ways which has little accountability and responsibility. 

Yes but it'll take a lot of time to achieve that - digging, considering, answering dinosaur wails, deciding ...