On this day in history, June 19, 1865, the end of slavery is proclaimed in Texas

Juneteenth originated in Galveston, Texas, when enslaved people were told of their emancipation on this day in history, June 19, 1865.

Texas was the first state to make it an official celebration

The Emancipation Proclamation was issued in 1863, yet slavery's end was not implemented in certain places that were still under Confederate control until later, according to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.  

• Like 2

Not just confederate controlled states, 4 Union states were slave states and the emancipation declaration, 20 months into the war only applied to CSA states. The 13th amendment to the constitution making slavery illegal was not passed until Dec 1865, 8 months after the 'great emancipator' was shot. Worth noting before the war 12 United states Presidents had been slave owners at some point. 

44 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Many were reluctant to end slavery then and their decendents have mourned its passing ever since.

Are you including the black slave owners and the native American slave owners?

Just now, proton said:

If you don't know I suggest you do some research, far more than you probably imagine

I want you to tell me. You put up this little canard as a deflection. We both know that the insignificant numbers of non whites who were prepared to profit by immorality doesn't change anything.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I want you to tell me. You put up this little canard as a deflection. We both know that the insignificant numbers of non whites who were prepared to profit by immorality doesn't change anything.

According to the 1830 census there were approx 319,599 free black slaves about 14% of the black population. A significant number of these free blacks were the owners of slaves, the census lists 3,775 free blacks who owned 12,760 slaves. Of course almost all the slaves transported to the new world were bought off black slave owners in Africa. Native Americans also owned thousands of slaves. Slavery was world wide and the Islamic African slave trade far larger, but it's only thought of as a transatlantic crime. I recommend you read some Thomas Sowell works.

11 minutes ago, proton said:

According to the 1830 census there were approx 319,599 free black slaves about 14% of the black population. A significant number of these free blacks were the owners of slaves, the census lists 3,775 free blacks who owned 12,760 slaves. Of course almost all the slaves transported to the new world were bought off black slave owners in Africa. Native Americans also owned thousands of slaves. Slavery was world wide and the Islamic African slave trade far larger, but it's only thought of as a transatlantic crime. I recommend you read some Thomas Sowell works.

Out of 4 million slaves, you are straw clutching.

Edited by ozimoron

Yesterdays slaves:

To buy a slave was a hefty investment. To keep a slave healthy was in the interest of the "owner". Underperforming slaves were sold off, not whipped to death (mythology!) Slaves paid no rent, therefore could not be evicted. As of "retirement": They just stayed on the farm until death.

Arab traders bought the slaves from African Chieftains mainly and brought the "merchandise" to African ports, where Europeans bought and shipped the "merchandise" to the New World.

Todays slaves:

Low income earners have to work 2 to 3 jobs and/or have to live in their cars. No health insurance. No retirement benefits.

Who was/is better off, I ask.

3 minutes ago, swissie said:

Yesterdays slaves:

To buy a slave was a hefty investment. To keep a slave healthy was in the interest of the "owner". Underperforming slaves were sold off, not whipped to death (mythology!) Slaves paid no rent, therefore could not be evicted. As of "retirement": They just stayed on the farm until death.

Arab traders bought the slaves from African Chieftains mainly and brought the "merchandise" to African ports, where Europeans bought and shipped the "merchandise" to the New World.

Todays slaves:

Low income earners have to work 2 to 3 jobs and/or have to live in their cars. No health insurance. No retirement benefits.

Who was/is better off, I ask.

The answer is an easy one. Today's slaves aren't slaves and are better off as a result. This just another slave apology post.

Unsanitary conditions, inadequate nutrition and unrelenting hard labor made slaves highly susceptible to disease. Illnesses were generally not treated adequately, and slaves were often forced to work even when sick. The rice plantations were the most deadly.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2956.html

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Quote: "Unsanitary conditions, inadequate nutrition and unrelenting hard labor made slaves highly susceptible to disease. Illnesses were generally not treated adequately, and slaves were often forced to work even when sick".

This is the description of the situation of "todays slaves".