Thailand by land up to only twice per calendar

year?

That's what I'm curious to know about.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Saigon

1 hour ago, Saigon said:

year?

Yes two visa exempt entries per calendar year via land borders. 

Nothing to do with where you are living. 

Obviously different for some nationalities.

Edited by DrJack54

23 hours ago, Saigon said:

Supposing that you're based in one of the

neighbouring countries such as Cambodia

or Laos, would you still be allowed to enter

year?

Yes, that limit is strictly applied.

Depending on your residency/visa status in the neighboring country, you might be able to get a METV from a Thai embassy or consulate in that country, which would allow you to enter Thailand by land as often as you want to. Expats living in Vientiane have reported success obtaining one for shopping/weekend trips to Thailand, for example.

There was a credible report, just after the two by land per calendar year rule was introduced, that someone living in Myanmar near Mae Sot was allowed many visa exempt entries for just a few hours to buy groceries. On the other hand, those crossing from Laos were told that twice per calendar year was a firm rule that could not be waived. (The Thai embassy in Vientiane stepped in to help by granting multiple entry tourist visas to foreigners who were long term residents of Laos.) In spite of the Myanmar exception I mentioned above, I believe the limit of two will be strictly enforced under almost all circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks very much for all your comments/reports!

On 6/20/2023 at 3:04 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Rules for visa exempt are related to your nationality not where you are based

I heard that Russian Passport Holders are allowed

many visa-exempt entries even by land, though.

Do you know what nationalities are eligible for them?

Edited by Saigon

32 minutes ago, Saigon said:

Thanks very much for all your comments/reports!

Yes. Russia has bi lateral agreement with Thailand and the 2 visa exempt by land per calendar year does not apply to them.

Why not state your pp country and cut to the chase. 

2 hours ago, Saigon said:

This is a difficult question to answer fully. I have done a little research, and this is a partial guide.

Some countries allow visa exemptions under bilateral agreement. For example, here is the agreement for Russia: https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/DKAezaV6MH/migrate_directory/news-20170322-222931-954008.pdf. It implies that Russians are, indeed, usually entitled to unlimited entries. They can be denied entry for the regular reasons that apply to all arrivals. (This would be those specified in Section 12 of the Immigration Act.) They can also be denied for reasons of "national security, public order or public health". Otherwise, they can enter as often as they like by either air or land.

All bilateral agreements are individually negotiated, and will tend to differ somewhat from each other.

Citizens of most countries eligible for visa exempt entry are under a standard tourist visa exemption scheme. Under that scheme, you are limited to two visa exempt entries by land or sea in any one calendar year (exception: this limit does not apply to nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia). The number of entries by air has no specific limits. However, immigration officials are empowered (indeed obliged) to screen users of standard tourist visa exemptions to judge whether they are being used in a manner consistent with regular tourism. You can be denied entry if, in the view of the official, they are not.

The lack of certainty when entering by air is a source of frustration for many. Actually, I think the authorities would like to have clear rules for visa exempt entries, but they are extremely difficult to draft in a way that does not have undesirable side effects. Some attempts have been rapidly abandoned. It has been reluctantly concluded that leaving visa exempt entries by air at the discretion of the officials is a necessary evil.

Thanks for your info!

Does that mean that citizens of countries under

bilateral agreement are entitled to unlimited

visa-exempt entries like Brasil or Peru as well

as Russia?

It depends on what the bilateral agreement specifies. Some agreements, I believe, explicitly exclude back-to-back entries.

Thanks for your info!

Does that mean that citizens of countries under

bilateral agreement are entitled to unlimited

visa-exempt entries like Brasil or Peru as well

as Russia?

Only unlimited visa exempt entries I am aware of is Malaysian pp holders.

The countries that you mention receive 90 days.

Seems your pp nationality is a required secret.

I'm Oz. 

For Malaysians entering by land border, there is no limitation in issuing the 30-day visa exemption stamp.

Travelers from Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, and Chile will receive permission to stay in Thailand for up to 90 days under Visa Exemption. This applies to both airport and land border entries.

Edited by DrJack54