Can anyone recommend an over the counter sleeping pill?

Kenny202

If your wife is unable to sleep because of a “ particular medication “ then you might find it difficult getting any medication that would help her to get off to sleep.

What is likely to happen is that whatever medication she does eventually take to help her sleep will likely to have a knock on effect the next day i.e she may want to sleep all morning.

Some drugs potentiate the action of another, so it will depend on her “ particular medication “ and what time of the day she takes it?

Lorazepam is a benzo that is not known to be addictive. In touristy areas you can get it over the counter.  I used it in long distance flights. It’s generally excreted ( out your system) quickly.

I tried Cannabis oil ; melatonin ; antihistamines; alcohol; found them all useless.  But everyone is different, so it may work for some, as mentioned in some of the replies.

Hope you do find something. I worked in Healthcare for 50 years, including mental health and there are some medications which helps one condition but causes problems in getting off to sleep. I really haven’t seen an easy solution. Often In Patients end up with a cocktail of benzodiazepines; phenothiazines ; and hypnotics ( sleeping tablets), but usually during an acute phase of an illness. 
I understand it may be different in your wife’s case but you have choices given to you. Even the Valium prescribed may be helpful as a short term basis. As you are aware of it’s addictive properties then you have to weigh up the pros and cons. Good luck and I would be interested to know if and what you find to be helpful in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah I know, I'd like something stronger but the Doc is a bit shy.

You are only taking a low dose. The ones you can still get in Thailand are 1mg, take 2 of the ones you have for the full effect.

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like that might solve the prostate problem guys who get up several times a night

Yea , you maybe sleep Well but the bed maybe Wet in the morning, 

Adult Diapers will fix that. ????

28 minutes ago, jimn said:

You are only taking a low dose. The ones you can still get in Thailand are 1mg, take 2 of the ones you have for the full effect.

Yeah I asked for stronger ones but the doc said no.

She did how ever double my script to 60tabs a month.... so I take 2 when needed.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting, people haven't specified before if they didn't get up they'd wet the bed, gave the impression it just woke them up to go to the toilet

For me its just a body early indication I should pee, like then in dreams or nightmares I need to pee too so end up rather than fighting dragons and saving the world just finding a place to pee endlessly in the dream till it gets so annoying I wake myself up and go for a pee. I don't actually physically pee in bed, so smoking a bit dumbs down that sensation a bit and we skip the early indication part, the really need to pee element is still there.

On 6/20/2023 at 5:35 PM, KannikaP said:

Just started CBD Oil. Sleep like a baby.

I tried expensive CBD Oil.  Didn't works worth a hill of beans.
Two hits of local hashish and then tune it a US talk show.  Well - I probably don't need the hashish.

As far a OTC drugs go.  Antihistamines do work from me.  Specifically Hydroxyzine, sold under the brand names Atarax in Thailand.  You'll dose between 25 to 100 mg.  Start low and work up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Thats Xanax that you are taking then.

And you are asking to get hooked on short-half-life benzodiazapines.  Trust me as someone who helped a significant other wean off of doctor prescribed Xanax - don't go there. 

"But my doctor prescribed it!" 
I don't understand people's stupid trust in "experts."  The vast majority of those capable of prescribing a highly addictive drug to you have absolutely no idea how to taper you off of those drugs.  Nor would they want to  -  You're an addict now -  Legal ฿฿฿Cha-Ching฿฿฿

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

And you are asking to get hooked on short-half-life benzodiazapines.  Trust me as someone who helped a significant other wean off of doctor prescribed Xanax - don't go there. 

"But my doctor prescribed it!" 
I don't understand people's stupid trust in "experts."  The vast majority of those capable of prescribing a highly addictive drug to you have absolutely no idea how to taper you off of those drugs.  Nor would they want to  -  You're an addict now -  Legal ฿฿฿Cha-Ching฿฿฿

I concur. Absolute hell. Benzos are extremely dangerous.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tazmo said:

Even the Valium prescribed may be helpful as a short term basis. As you are aware of it’s addictive properties then you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

I am actually surprised that your wife got Valium that easy. A lot of Thai doctors are quite fickle about prescribing it.

As we do not know what is the illness your wife is sufefring from: I had boughts of severe depression, and sometimes it was just enough to break the cycle of sleep deprivation to kick the body back in its normal rhythm, so I only had to take it very infrequently. For this reason I would not exclude Valium out of hand, especially if it would actually make her sleep.

I would still research side effects with her other medicines though.

• Love It 1

An off topic post asking about an illegal drug has been removed

A lengthy diatribe has been reported and removed....Pink Mist

Edited by Pink Mist
Added additional comment

• 8 months later...
On 6/20/2023 at 7:40 PM, asf6 said:

The ones I have and have known some Thais to take are Chlorphen. For me, half a tablet is usually enough. I only take them from time to time. Not regularly.  

They are cheap. If I recall correctly, they only cost 20 baht for 100 tablets. 

Chlorophen.jpg

Congratulations! You are the first to offer a real drug name.

I'm copying the pix to send to  my pharmacists. I have a long air trip in April to USA and I need something.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Gaba100 is effective and inexpensive, widely available OTC without prescription..

This is a serious medication with significant pitential adverse effects. Not recommended to use just as a sleep aid. 

OP Sominar works for many peoplw but try it out before you travel as it makes some people groggy afterwards.