Pita voices support for ASEAN-led peace efforts for Myanmar

webfact

28 minutes ago, stoner said:

money over morals i guess. 

for me yes.....I rather have money than teaching other countries what they should do....

And for some poor Thai higher prices will change what they are able to feed their children...(and not to mention that the poor people in Myanmar suffers as well not the military)

You seem to have no problem with that....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stoner said:

the problem was doing business with them in the first place. you seem to have no problem with that. 

No I have no problem doing business with anyone.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Just treat all military Juntas like pariah, start by shutting off their money supply, especially those who practice genocide.

myanmar received hundreds of millions in cash just before the coup. 

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Till now it is just empty talk...Empty talk is cheap. And I doubt the most genius person could come up with a working peace deal in Myanmar, as neither side there will cave in....so it is just wasted time.

A positive approach would be more appropriate. Neighboring counries should put a lot of pressure on Myanmar, lead by Thailand.

Seems to me for Khun Pita this would bring strong gains; push Myanmar to understand it must change, and to educate many Thai folks what a balanced civil society looks like and behaves like.

53 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A positive approach would be more appropriate. Neighboring counries should put a lot of pressure on Myanmar, lead by Thailand.

Seems to me for Khun Pita this would bring strong gains; push Myanmar to understand it must change, and to educate many Thai folks what a balanced civil society looks like and behaves like.

No it is their internal affairs....Would you accept if China put pressure on Thailand to implement their style of civil society? That are military families battling for power...one more close to China, one more democratic but close to USA. Thailand should keep their fingers out of it. Not taking any side in the greater China/USA conflict. And in case of how the treat minorities they are both bad

6 hours ago, h90 said:

Till now it is just empty talk...Empty talk is cheap. And I doubt the most genius person could come up with a working peace deal in Myanmar, as neither side there will cave in....so it is just wasted time.

Even empty talk is preferred to the kind of weak, cowardly, pathetic complicity the Thai army has shown towards Burma. 

6 hours ago, h90 said:

So just ignore the severe ruthless death and violence committed every day against many women and children. 

5 hours ago, h90 said:

nothing to loose? Thailand is doing a lot trade with Myanmar and also buys their gas there. So having a good relationship is important.

A lot to loose....Just to show the twitter world that we can do tough talking. In reality no one care.

PTTEP are the biggest oil and gas producer in Myanmar and operate the largest gas field.

Total and other Western operators have exited due to human rights concerns.

41 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So just ignore the severe ruthless death and violence committed every day against many women and children. 

You could ask Thai people if they want to pay in 500 Baht every month with the target that Myanmar people get 500 Baht less every month.

But it will make the Myanmar military upset and you are on the moral high ground.

For me that is complete pointless.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, h90 said:

You could ask Thai people if they want to pay in 500 Baht every month with the target that Myanmar people get 500 Baht less every month.

But it will make the Myanmar military upset and you are on the moral high ground.

For me that is complete pointless.

What is the 500 Baht reference about?

34 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

PTTEP are the biggest oil and gas producer in Myanmar and operate the largest gas field.

Total and other Western operators have exited due to human rights concerns.

I am sure Chinese and Russian companies are there as well making money that the West is loosing.

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What is the 500 Baht reference about?

Lost money....if you take out cheap pipeline gas, maybe oil....gas get more expensive, transportation of goods get more expensive, electric get more expensive, fertilizer get more expensive. On the other hand Thailand is exporting things to Myanmar which is cost. Everyone looses money....pick a number...Many years ago it was a big amount of gas that Thailand bought for electric generation. I don't know if that is still the case or if that has changed. Last time (longer ago) I was in Ranong, there were lots of tourists from Myanmar as they begin to have more money they also become tourists. That money would be lost.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, h90 said:

I am sure Chinese and Russian companies are there as well making money that the West is loosing.

You are correct. 

However, countries and companies with morals and ethical behaviour will not deal with murderous, despotic regimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2023 at 3:35 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

You are correct. 

However, countries and companies with morals and ethical behaviour will not deal with murderous, despotic regimes. 

And doing so can cost them dearly as they are declared sanction busters and penalties come into play.