Marshall Stockwell 2 Bluetooth speaker

My local coffee shop has one of these and they're great, Marshall Stockwell 2 portable bluetooth speaker with 20hrs playtime.

So I thought I'd buy one .......... $220 US on Amazon, 2,200bht ($67) on Lazada.

It arrived today, sounds great, looks real.

Surely it must be a fake at that price?

IMG_20230621_155946.jpg

Considering they are 10k on Powerbuy and 10k on Banana IT, and upto 12k on some resellers, it's almost certainly a complete fake,  not even a gray channel import or refurb, just cheap nasty rubbish, but you seem to have already known that going into the deal? As a fake it's probably worth ~400baht if that, or what a comparable no brand speaker costs, the specs listed won't be real so it would be difficult to compare.. 

Edited by farang9392
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. Does the volume go up to 11?

I'll bet Jim Marshall will be turning in his grave.

If it sounds good.  Link up where you bought it.  I may want one too.

4 minutes ago, connda said:

It was BritMan who bought it. Look on Lazada, real ones around Bht 10k, copies Bht 3000.

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It was BritMan who bought it. Look on Lazada, real ones around Bht 10k, copies Bht 3000.

But I want to know what knock-off he bought so I can buy it too. 

Looks like a copy if you compare yours to images from the Marshall homepage or Amazon. The material of the inside of the handle seems completely different. It also seems that the knobs should should have a circle texture to them which in your picture it doesn't look like it has although the image is kinda blurry so not 100% sure.

Bluetooth 4 on my Huawei Y9 2019 gave me 4 BT dropouts in an hour of playing.

Bluetooth 5 on my Huawei Matepad 10 played perfectly for the hour.

The second LED on the battery charge indicator is a bit dimmer than the rest.

2hrs of playing (from a 1hr charge) hasn't lowered the charge indicator, still at 50%.

Weight/build/label/box all look real, grill is metal, rubber corners as advertised.

Only difference between Amazon I can see is the inside of the handle is silver/brown not dark red.

But the silver/brown is the same as the pictures on the Banana IT site (9,900bht).

(my mistake, red handle is on the Black, silver/brown is on the Black&Brass I have)

Amazing 360 degree sound field, sounds the same no matter where I am in the room.

@eisfeldBrass circles are there on the knobs ............ if it's a fake, they've done a really good job!

IMG_20230621_201016.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

In your second pic the knobs actually do look like the original. Interesting. It could be a B-Ware item that failed some smaller QA checks or refurbished. E.g. that dim second battery indicator strip and the differently looking handle but main functionality working. Would fit the sellers name which includes "outlet".

• Like 1

Play something lossless from Tidal.... and you should be able to recognise the difference.

IF you can't recognise the difference, does it even matter ?

Sound quality is a lot like 'wine, coffee etc'....    If you are happy with fruit wine or 3 in 1 coffee then why bother with better stuff.... 

Its the same with this...  It's obviously a fake at that price, but as you can't tell the difference it doesn't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, eisfeld said:

In your second pic the knobs actually do look like the original. Interesting. It could be a B-Ware item that failed some smaller QA checks or refurbished. E.g. that dim second battery indicator strip and the differently looking handle but main functionality working. Would fit the sellers name which includes "outlet".

Thats what people hope... and thats what they are being suckered into buying... 

Fake stuff and people believe they maybe getting something which didn't quite pass the QC because of a scratch !

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fake stuff and people believe they maybe getting something which didn't quite pass the QC because of a scratch !

Mine works perfectly apart from one of the LEDs looking a bit dim.

Only bought mine after hearing one in my local coffee shop, I'm betting they didn't pay 10kbht for theirs either.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Refurbished or B-Ware is a real thing. A lot of brands sell the stuff that fails QA or is left over from production for whatever reason to asian countries. But there are even more fake ones. With the price difference being so extreme in this case it would also suggest a fake being likely. Sometimes even the factory that produces the original does a run and sells it directly without giving a cut to the brand who ordered the production. Sometimes a fake is not close to the original and sometimes a fake is nearly on par with the original. There are many possible scenarios.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mine works perfectly apart from one of the LEDs looking a bit dim.

Only bought mine after hearing one in my local coffee shop, I'm betting they didn't pay 10kbht for theirs either.

…if fake,. It may ‘make noise’… & even sound decent enough to pass ‘your’ muster…  but it won’t be ‘perfect’…   

As others have mentioned, It could also be real & just didn’t pass cosmetic QC…. 

Not really easy to tell unless listening to a lossless track in a genuine item & yours alongside each other… 

If you’re happy with the sound vs what you paid then fair enough. 

On 6/21/2023 at 5:41 PM, connda said:

You'll see Marshall and JBL knock-off's at most electronics kiosks at almost any BIG-C or Lotus's shopping center.  Noticed a few yesterday at the Sukhumvit Rd Lotus's in Pattaya.  Thing is, you can probably find even better sounding speakers at an even lower price at the same kiosk.  If you have music on your phone, just test any speaker they have with your Bluetooth.

Edited by dddave

If anybody is interested the Fender Newport and Monterey are on special at an amazing price at Banana and other places right now. Banana wanted 17,000 for the Fender Monterey until I showed them the deal on their website for 7590. The Newport is going for 4890.

First pic is Newport, 1.9 Kg. Second is Monterey, 6.8 Kg, both sound excellent. The Monterey is mains only but the Newport has a battery.

1688107952043.jpg

20230701_122051.jpg

20230701_122109.jpg

Edited by ozimoron