Pattaya Residents Fed Up With Pushy Migrant Beggars

webfact

On 6/22/2023 at 5:43 AM, Mickeymaus said:

Many of these people who give money are unaware that they make the situation worse. In addition the children are often borrowed to sit next to the beggar or they have to sell things like flowers. And according to their own statement the beggars earn up to 1000 baht a day:

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/06/10/crackdown-on-cambodian-beggars-in-pattaya-continues/

Make a 1,000 a day?.........Wow I am headed for the beach with my bowl in hand........Donations will be accepted...

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, Guderian said:

Reminds me of London way back in the 70's or 80's, when grubby Gypsy women used to force a tiny sprig of 'lucky' heather on you, and then attack you or make a huge scene if you didn't give them some silly amount of money for it.

Been going on for years both in Pattaya and Bangkok. Often carrying small, usually cute children. They try it with those who obviously have a lady with them. Obviously there is someone above them in the food chain, bringing them in, providing minimal crowded  accomodation and food, providing the roses and ferrying them to and from the tourist spots and no doubt taking most of their take. Never found it a problem to say no thank you. They always move on. Is it any more annoying than the beach vendors patrolling the deck chairs there every 15 minutes or so....or has that been stopped?

With fewer tourists in the low season they may be more aggressive due to "motivation" by their handlers.

On 6/22/2023 at 7:32 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, that's not what was reported, try reading the title and the article;  this is about Pattaya residents complaining, not "scammers and prostitutes" complaining.

But Pattaya only have prostitutes and scammers. That is all of Pattaya, and of course the sex buyers. Nothing more, nothing else...

I spotted them first time in 2014-15 so this is not something new.  They looked Vietnamese or Chinese to me . 

Some of them carrying flowers, others with babies. And others tried to get my sympathy by pretending they were deaf , had printed a card with a message on they put on every table, then came back trying to collect money.  I spotted them later talking to each other, clearly not deaf.