Required strength CBD oil for a good night sleep

I saw some comments in another post about CBD oil and information was a bit unclear on what strength (milligrams?) you need to order for a good night sleep. I have heard people say you put one drop on your tongue before bed. There were also comments that it was available on Lazada. Can anyone point me in the right direction and maybe some more info on a good brand / strength? There is a little weed shop / kiosk near home I was wondering if those sort of shops sell it

39 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

I am a consultant/scientist, here in Thailand working with CBD dominant genetics as well as extraction. We produce a 10% CBD and MCT sublingual product. I can use the opportunity to shamelessly pitch you on my company’s product but would like you to consider a few things first. I wrote about the role and efficacy of CBD in this post and would advise you to read it:

What can you tell us about cannabis CBN? 

cbn2.png.eea9daf7c13a6265904049934b6a24c1.png

41 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Cannabinol (CBN) likely has more effect as a sleep aid (getting and staying to sleep) than CBD. I say likely, because there is even less medical/science studies on CBN, and the rest of the minor cannabinoids, than the two primary ones (THC and it’s isomers and CBD).

CBN is unique because: it’s mildly psychoactive AND it binds to both the CB1 and the CB2 receptors in the body. CBD binds to neither. It is a known agonist (switches “on” known receptor responses). This, in and of itself, shows excellent potential.

CBN is also very unique in that it is not part of the plant synthase - it is not derived from an acid form synthesis (THCa, CBDa, THCVa, CBGa). It is a result of the oxidation or the degradation of cannabis flower/bud. OLD POT.  In 2018, we used it as a test of post harvest degradation, as how long has the harvest been sitting around for. Elevated CBN percentages correlates to older flower. Oversupply.

With the “ink” barely dry on CBD, the market sector is off running with the lesser known cannabinoids. The lesser cannabinoids are so speculative, with limited studies and even legality issues to make any kind of claims but with that said, I believe more in CBN than CBD as a sleep aid.

Thank you for mentioning it. ????

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wuvu2 said:

cbn2.png.eea9daf7c13a6265904049934b6a24c1.png

As a quick postscript, I wanted to follow up by stating, the product Wuvu posted, has a 1:1 ratio with THC. 

This is how and when cannabis becomes ‘medicine’ and its efficacy shines. It is because of national and international restrictions, biases and stigma, that the true efficacy of cannabis is hindered by lack of medical research. It is changing and all for the good. There are more studies and research each year than the previous.

We scientifically know that CBD mitigates many medical issues when a ratio of THC is present. The GW Pharmaceuticals drug, Sativex, is a cannabis derived botanical of 1:1 THC to CBD. Legal in 15 countries by prescription for a small bandwidth of medical issues. There’s a lot to unpack there!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SamuiGrower said:

Cannabinol (CBN) likely has more effect as a sleep aid (getting and staying to sleep) than CBD. I say likely, because there is even less medical/science studies on CBN, and the rest of the minor cannabinoids, than the two primary ones (THC and it’s isomers and CBD).

CBN is unique because: it’s mildly psychoactive AND it binds to both the CB1 and the CB2 receptors in the body. CBD binds to neither. It is a known agonist (switches “on” known receptor responses). This, in and of itself, shows excellent potential.

CBN is also very unique in that it is not part of the plant synthase - it is not derived from an acid form synthesis (THCa, CBDa, THCVa, CBGa). It is a result of the oxidation or the degradation of cannabis flower/bud. OLD POT.  In 2018, we used it as a test of post harvest degradation, as how long has the harvest been sitting around for. Elevated CBN percentages correlates to older flower. Oversupply.

With the “ink” barely dry on CBD, the market sector is off running with the lesser known cannabinoids. The lesser cannabinoids are so speculative, with limited studies and even legality issues to make any kind of claims but with that said, I believe more in CBN than CBD as a sleep aid.

Thank you for mentioning it. ????

Great explanation. Got samples?

2 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Get yourself some good THC gummies as a sleep aid.  CBD oil isn't going to do it.

I actually got some gummies while I was out. Not sure if good or not brand called Trollies. 10mg. Doesn't say anything about THC. Is one enough to give you a decent sleep? Under the sticker someone in Thailand has put, it says THC 600mg. I assume for the whole pack of 12 x 10mg = 50mg THC per gummy. That sounds like a lot?

Do they just make you feel sleepy or off your chops lol?

I do note they are in a pack looks exactly the same as a packet of gummy bears for kids. No way would they ever be allowed in any other country. If a small child (or even an adult?) took the whole lot in one go thinking they were Candy probably lethal?

Edited by Kenny202
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

No way would they ever be allowed in any other country.

I think these are illegally imported from the United States or Canada. And they would be considered illegal here. Unless they are some kind of deep fakes, then who knows what you might be getting.

That's 600 mg of 98.99% pure THC, so I would be very, very careful with the dosage. Maybe weigh one unit, calculate the total mg of THC and then slice off pieces at low mg dosage.

There are reviews on-line.

10 hours ago, SamuiGrower said:

It is a result of the oxidation or the degradation of cannabis flower/bud. OLD POT.

this process is very noticeable in concentrates. mainly bho in my experience. do terps break down the same way ? 

As an aid for sleep this topic interests me and I did a little research at my local dispensaries, I'm in Alberta, Canada where all this is legal and tightly controlled

The first pic is of a gummy I tried last night and it worked like a charm, best sleep I've had in years and no after affects in the morning

It was advised that this is for relaxation

That one has a combination of THC 5mg, CBN of 2.5mg, very nice elderberry taste and 30 min after taking I was out. Gummy with bic lighter for scale. 

The second one I bought today after yesterdays good results.

This one is sold as a sleep aid. CBN of 5mg, CBG of 5mg and CBD of 20mg 

Trying it tonight.

Agree with @Kenney 202, these things look and taste just like kids candy, so if you've got little ones about put them in a safe place

20230623_155448_resized.jpg

20230623_155601_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:
  1. Well, I tried the gummies last night. Had half each. Didn't feel a thing and I am only a casual smoker. Slept ok but pretty much same as normal and up at 4am again ????

Can you post a picture of the packaging for these gummies? Front and back?

How much did you pay for each package?

There are a lot of imported gummies here, I assumed they were legit. But maybe some are and some aren't?

The Trolli "brand" are sold here, and get good reviews from some sellers.

2 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

The first pic is of a gummy I tried last night and it worked like a charm, best sleep I've had in years and no after affects in the morning

These 2:1 THC:CBN Wyld brand get good reviews. And very reasonably priced, in the U.S. $25 all in for 10 pieces. "Directions" say that a serving size is one-half of a gummy. Some cool flavors too.

That packaging also mentions "Indica", although I have no idea if that means anything in gummies, and some outlets say...

Wyld's Elderberry THC:CBN gummies have been designed specifically with sleep in mind. The sedating effects of CBN in combination with THC alongside terpenes found in Indica strains may provide greater sedation than THC alone. This combination may be particularly useful when preparing for sleep. It's a little like watching sheep count you.

I haven't seen these (Wyld) here, but I don't really pay attention to the gummies. About 25% of the ~ 50-ish shops/distributors I follow sell edibles, and about half (of those) have gummies, all imported from the U.S.

Edited by bamnutsak

9 hours ago, stoner said:

this process is very noticeable in concentrates. mainly bho in my experience. do terps break down the same way ? 

Terpene degradation begins the moment they are produced by the plant. When the plant is growing, they are continually renewed. The majority volatilize (evaporate) at 15.5 centigrade - room temperature - post harvest. 

Oxidation of terpenes happens through exposure to air, light, heat, and humidity. They are doomed from the start.

Terpenes and concentrates are a delicate balancing act. If you use Hydrocarbon extraction (butane/propane), a non-polar solvent, it leaves behind the chlorophyll and strips cannabinoids and terpenes. Most of the terpenes are lost in prior or post decarboxylation or winterization and certainly in post solvent purging, even using deep vacuum. 

Terpenes are a bit elusive and certainly fleeting. What’s not lost during drying and curing, through evaporation is certainly lost by thermal degradation. The best preservation of terpenes to my knowledge is “Live Rosin”: Whole flower pressing under pressure and a bit of heat. It is dabbed or vaped and imho, the best representation of terpenes in flower.

Because of this known volatility and degradation of terpenes, most terpenes are added back post extraction of concentrates and distillates. Since the quantity of terpenes produced naturally are so small (<3%), and not economical for fractional distillation to reclaim, ‘lab grade’ terpenes are added back. These are produced from petroleum products. Since the science of inhaling hydrocarbons and terpenes have not been studied enough, it would be considered a bad thing to vape ‘added back’ terps.

For those further interested in terpenes, I wrote this post on the forum awhile ago:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1293903-the-truth-about-terpenes/

4 hours ago, SamuiGrower said:

The best preservation of terpenes to my knowledge is “Live Rosin”: Whole flower pressing under pressure and a bit of heat. It is dabbed or vaped and imho, the best representation of terpenes in flower.

this one is debatable. after harvest the curing process helps processes in the plant in regards to terpene content etc right ? as compared to some of the terps that are captured with live rosin. i can't find where i read about this but there is some science to it all in regards to the different terps that are maintained with the 2 different methods of extraction. mono vs sesqui maybe part of it ? i really don't know all the science. 

what about this as well ?

https://hightimes.com/grow/grow-gear/rosin-tech-what-do-the-labs-have-to-say/

ps.....can't thank you enough for your posts. absolute gold for everyone here. 

Edited by stoner

On 6/23/2023 at 10:58 AM, SamuiGrower said:

Using CBD as a sleep aid is a “movement” magnified on social media. Because it has anti-anxiety effects it has been co-opted as a sleep aid and this is the furthest thing from the truth. It has more placebo inducing sleep effect than the CBD itself. It is NOT a sleep aid.

CBD isolate works pretty well for me but I often (not always) smoke a little bit of THC at the same time as taking the drops, which def does seem to help with the getting to sleep bit.

Moreover, most people I have met say that THC gets you to sleep, CBD increases the quality when you are asleep, which seems to be the case for me.

I googled CBD and sleep - there was nothing saying that CBD didn't help with sleep, there was just plenty out there saying it just hasn't been properly tested.

Do you have any links to properly done studies that show CBD only has a placebo effect on sleep? Would be very interested to read that research.

Also, I get my male cancer markers tested every 6 months or so and they have been going down since I started taking CBD daily, without changing much else in life other than a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil per day. Still drink far too much and don't move enough, sadly.

2 hours ago, stoner said:

this one is debatable. after harvest the curing process helps processes in the plant in regards to terpene content etc right ?

I thought that terpenes kept evolving during the curing process (when properly done) with peak terpene being around 3 months from the end of drying?

I'll see if I can find the video on the testing that was done, it was pretty robust testing and very interesting.

4 minutes ago, tomster said:

I thought that terpenes kept evolving during the curing process (when properly done) with peak terpene being around 3 months from the end of drying?

I'll see if I can find the video on the testing that was done, it was pretty robust testing and very interesting.

Here it is:

Their testing said that total terpene content was higher at 16 weeks than it was when the plant was harvested. Must try that sometime...

1 hour ago, tomster said:

Do you have any links to properly done studies that show CBD only has a placebo effect on sleep? Would be very interested to read that research.

The journals and papers I read about cannabis science, all say the data does not support the CBD/Sleep claim. The body of claims about CBD are pitched by companies and social media movements. Hard stop. I do not traffic in speculative science. A recent CBD study in relation to pain showed the placebo group reported better results than those receiving doses. Jerusalem University I believe is coming out with some CBD sleep data from what I hear. 

If it works for you or anyone, hey, more power to you. After all, as humans, we want and need it to work, be it science or faith. I am just pointing out the hard science.

And, speaking of science, we just do not know enough about cannabinoids, the endocannabinoid system and the mechanism of how they work or interact with the human body. We will eventually get there but until then any claim should be viewed with skepticism.

56 minutes ago, tomster said:

3 hours ago, stoner said:

after harvest the curing process helps processes in the plant in regards to terpene content etc right ?

This is incorrect information on many levels. Terpenes are not static but they do NOT increase after harvest, they decrease. Whatever terpenes are present at chop is what you begin your drying and curing with. What you end up with, net, is far less due to oxidation and thermal degradation. There are other enzymatic processes that do occur with chlorophyll and polyphenols/flavaonids, that affect taste and flavor but not with terpenes.

Terpene synthesis is directly related to photosynthesis, which ceases at harvest. You can not create more. The only ‘changes’ in terpenes are there evaporation and oxidative rates.

The YouTube video I would take with a grain of salt. Example: Let’s say max terpene content of flower tested was 3% (considered high). 16 weeks later it was what? 10% higher? OK. 10% higher would be 0.003 percent total higher. How about +/- accuracy of the testing? Get my drift. Trust me, if there was a way to increase terpenes on a measurable and consistent basis, large scale growers and consultants would be pitching. You do know who pitches that, don’t you? Lighting companies, nutrition companies, seed banks, etc…. YouTube, gotta love it!

Many bro-science practitioners do a 24-72 hours dark period before harvest. The claim is that it increases terpenes. This is incorrect. There is no science to support that claim. The last week of flowering is the most critical in terpene development and reaches it peak through controlled stress: drought, EC, temp, humidity. Terpene synthase pathways are driven by photons not dark periods. Every day before harvest that the plant is deprived of its 12 hours of light, will result in less terpenes. Reports of trichome/terpene increase is purely anecdotal.

I know my contrarian prose rub a few the wrong way but remember, I’m a member of the choir:doper, smoker, dabber, hash mongering and a scientist. The hard data is what I go by and report on. Just keeping it real and 100%

@Stoner. That High Times articles is insightful but 7 years old. Extraction science has improved by leaps and bounds, as the equipment and SOPs as well. I think what I meant to say, was the freshness of the terpenes and taste of the flower through live rosin pressing was/is as close to “whole plant” that I’ve ever tasted. I agree, that solvents will extract a higher percentage for sure but then it gets degraded. Good article. ????

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

I know my contrarian prose rub a few the wrong way but remember, I’m a member of the choir:doper, smoker, dabber, hash mongering and a scientist. The hard data is what I go by and report on. Just keeping it real and 100%

Agreed - hard science is what we need and in the case of CBD not helping sleep there is no hard science that says it doesn't - again unless you link to studies that show that it has been tested?

Saying that you read studies and you are a scientist, does not a scientist make.

As for terpenes:

23 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

Terpene synthesis is directly related to photosynthesis, which ceases at harvest. You can not create more. The only ‘changes’ in terpenes are there evaporation and oxidative rates.

https://www.ganjapreneur.com/researchers-reveal-how-curing-cannabis-affects-terpene-levels

https://youtu.be/y1n4OJTW0Lw

Both of these links very clearly show that cannabis flower is biologically active months and capable of increasing terpene levels after harvest. Some terpenes go down, some go up. To say you cannot create more is totally wrong - it happens.

I welcome feedback and debate but you are simply stating facts that are in some cases not backed up by any kind of research, or in the case of terpene synthesis you are simply wrong. 

A more useful and helpful approach would be to quote from well researched studies that clearly support your statements of fact.

This is my last comment on the matter, over and out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m happy, in so many ways, that it’s your last comment but it’s not mine.

You’re right, I could call myself anything I want on this forum (Princess? Buffy?)  and it doesn’t make it real, only in my real life. I don’t need to flaunt pedigree degrees to mouth breathers to influence their thoughts, I have clients that pay me for what I say on this forum for free.

FYI, my first choice was to call myself an astronaut or a rocket scientist but that would be lying? BTW, you think I make up this stuff? A wow!

The article that “clearly” showed your point, was done on proprietary company equipment by the company’s researcher. They are selling IP, you didn’t catch that, huh?

And, you clearly didn’t get the YouTube video either. Brought to you by the “leading cannabis research company” with 27K followers. Never read that study. Never heard of the stoned fella on the video either. Seems hardly credible. 

Funny thing, you require “well researched studies” from me but show me drivel to make YOUR point? 

The science I quote is by Drs. Bruce Bugbee, Westmoreland, D. Fernandez, Langenfeld, et al and the group of post grad researchers at USU, crop physiology lab. I’m sure you never heard of them, why would you? Do you want me to provide their academic pedigree too?

What I stated about terpenes is real and factual. 

Here’s my last comment: two pain studies with CBD. NIH and JAMA. The placebo won out over the CBD in both. Yes, not a sleep study but meaningful. And, since the evidence is soooo necessary, here tis’ (well researched studies….????)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34223660/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2799017

There is  your “hard science that says it doesn’t work” 

I realize, people can get their butt hurt when they hear something that tears down their belief system. 

I don’t need to prove anything to anyone here. It’s a forum. Need proof? YOU do the research, but just don’t stop on the first unvetted Google search that parrots what you heard on the net in the first place - one that’s brought to you by the highest pay per click SEO. Just keep it real. And please, can we kiss and make up? ????

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Love It 1

Just had an epiphany folks……

Yes, terpene content does go up if you measure it against water weight loss. If you control terpene loss through controlled environment drying and curing, the less volatile terpenes remain while water is evaporated.

Percent terpenes to weight can go up as water weight goes down but amount of terpenes remains the same or less. 

I just realized it when reading the aforementioned “clearly makes the point” article in Ganjapreneur. The pretty graphics were boasting 100% increase in a terpene and a 35% increase in this terpene and 50% increase in that terpene- they never mentioned anything quantitative, I.e. Mg/g. Their magic research was in support of their IP they were selling -  controlled drying/terpene preservation.

I stand with the science: no terpenes are synthesized after harvest.

Ps. The plant does not continue to live after harvest (more bro-science). Nothing is synthesized. It is dead, Cells are not being fed, PS I and PS II ceases to function, no photosynthesis. No energy to drive the machine. The plant is undergoing enzymatic degradation of chlorophyll, and other products that affect taste. It is dead.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, SamuiGrower said:

Yes, terpene content does go up if you measure it against water weight loss.

It's got nothing to do with evaporation - once you stabilise the water content level in dry cannabis flower it does not change much. In a vacumn sealed bag that is referred to in the youtube video - how could it? 

https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/how-to-increase-terpenes-in-cannabis-plants/

"In the first few weeks, the levels of cannabinoids and terpenes will decrease. After a few weeks, these levels will start to increase. Usually, around week eight, the terpenes are at their lowest during the curing process.

But after the 8th week, they begin to rise again, even above the levels of the freshly cut plant."

This is well know to just about anybody that has ever properly cured a cannabis plant.

You are quoting Dr Bruce Bugbee from Apogee Instruments, I have watched most of his videos and read a few of his papers.

Some are good, some are not.

Primarily though his focus is measuring photons as that what Apogee instruments does and it pays much better than his day job at the university.

I think you are referencing the time he talked about the 48-72 hours darkness before chop as being bro-science. This was then followed up with Chris on the popular Garden Talk podcast where he talked about this and how people started giving their plants 24 hours light a day for a week or so before chopping them to try to increase the terpenes just before harvest.

However, he simply stated that he could not see the mechanism where giving the plant less light at the end of flowering would increase the terpene level, as you correctly say, photosynthesis (including terpene production) is driven by light. There was absolutely no testing or science and his statement was (very) surprising considering the sheer amount of people that did this because they had trailed it on their plants and found benefits. To be fair he did say that he thought that there could be a connection between the lights being off and therefore the room having a lower temperature during this time, which does make sense.

However, he also said that because of a small observational study in Japan that in a blind taste test people preferred weed that had not been flushed over weed that had been flushed just prior to chop. Again, not tested other than a small coca cola vs pepsi challenge type thing that goes against decades of people flushing their plants at the end of the growing cycle to make the smoke smoother - he honestly comes up with some pretty weird stuff at times.

He made absolutely no reference at all in the first video he did, or the follow up on Garden Talk, about the increase in terpenes that happens after about week 8-10 in the curing process (which again has nothing to do with evaporation).

3 hours ago, SamuiGrower said:

Here’s my last comment: two pain studies with CBD. NIH and JAMA. The placebo won out over the CBD in both. Yes, not a sleep study but meaningful. And, since the evidence is soooo necessary, here tis’ (well researched studies….????)

This has absolutely nothing to do with CBD and sleep being placebo affect - they are both to do with pain.

Look - you clearly are into this subject and some of the stuff you post is interesting to read. But please quit making statements of fact unless you can back it up with solid research data.

I would also caution you against calling yourself a scientist, you very may well be a World leading scientist in some field of research but in the field of cannabis cultivation and extraction you are very clearly not.

All the best.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 5:14 AM, kwonitoy said:

Steering back to the topic...

Can you share how long it took for you to feel the effects?

Did you consume one entire gummy?

On 6/24/2023 at 5:14 AM, kwonitoy said:

The second one I bought today after yesterdays good results.

This one is sold as a sleep aid. CBN of 5mg, CBG of 5mg and CBD of 20mg 

Trying it tonight.

Can you comment on this second option? Good? Better (than the first)?

Thanks.