Thais advised not to venture into conflict zones near Mae Hong Son border with Myanmar

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai-Myanmar Border Command Centre, in Thailand’s northernmost Mae Hong Son province, issued a warning today (Friday), advising people not to venture into border areas in the Mae Sariang and Khun Yuam districts for their safety, as fighting between Myanmar government forces and Karenni rebels continues.

It said that Thailand is not involved in the conflict and will not support either side or allow them to use Thai territory for their benefit. It also urged the Thai media to check news reports for accuracy before publication or broadcast, in order not to cause public panic. 

The command centre reported that there are currently 4,085 refugees from Myanmar in two shelters on Thai soil, one in Ban Sao Hin in Mae Sariang district and the other in Mae Ngao sub-district in Khun Yuam district.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thais-advised-not-to-venture-into-conflict-zones-near-mae-hong-son-border-with-myanmar/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 5

28 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I wonder how many tanks were moved from the central region to the border. Seems Thailand buys a lot of weapons but rarely puts then in areas where the border is in danger, preferring to use them for coups. 

There are only two purposes for the military here. 

1] Coups and putting down the subsequent rebellions that occur.

2] Protection, and the image thereof, that we're not allowed to touch upon. 

'Tis wonder that they have ruled the roost for ages.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The terminology is rather biased, government forces and rebels?

Should it not be military and residents?

with respect and for reference, the Burmese Tatmadaw are fighting the Karenni Army (both military).

Photo of the Karenni Army which is the armed wing of the Karenni National Progressive Party (Wikipedia)

No photo description available.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And non Thais can go there?

Evidently yes. I researched the possibilty a few days ago and Air Asia offer Fly-Thru fares from Siem Reap (where I live) to Rangoon and Mandalay, via DMK. Only nationals from these countries can get a tourist visa on entry:

• Australia
  • China
  • Germany
  • India
  • Italy
  • Russia
  • Spain
  • Switzerland

Tourists from all other countries must apply for an E-visa in advance and believe me, there are many requirements!

https://visaguide.world/visa-on-arrival/myanmar/

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

I wonder how many tanks were moved from the central region to the border. Seems Thailand buys a lot of weapons but rarely puts then in areas where the border is in danger, preferring to use them for coups. 

They are very tight with the Burmese military, it's no secret.

You know its bad when the normally meek ASEAN group of nations collectively condemned the toothless dog and pony show in Pattaya last week that was supposed to mediate a way forward in Myanmar. The rest of AESEAN except the China-backed dictatorship in Cambodia distance themselves from the illegal regime.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Countries like the US have already placed Myanmar on a No-Go list, but if you decided to go and something happened they would not bail you out, your on your own.

Being a UK citizen, the British Government advise "essential travel" only.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

They had a lot artillery in the border dispute with Cambodia.

And in the floods 2011 the army made a country wide network of transportation will all the best new 4/6 wheel trucks...I wondered how many they possible could have.
They brought me to the airport with one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

with respect and for reference, the Burmese Tatmadaw are fighting the Karenni Army (both military).

Photo of the Karenni Army which is the armed wing of the Karenni National Progressive Party (Wikipedia)

And well equipped with American weapons.

• Thanks 1

I hear the army defection rates are soaring. And the opposition is making great progress against the genocidal Burmese army. Let us hope so. May the Burmese generals and leaders die a terrible death. They sure deserve that. The problem is:

The military government of Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing has an advantage — not just in arms and trained manpower, but also in geography. Myanmar's main neighbors — Thailand, China and India — have geopolitical and economic interests in Myanmar that leave them satisfied with the status quo, which largely secures its borders from becoming a major supply route for weapons and other supplies for the resistance. And while much of the world maintains sanctions against the generals and their government, they can rely on obtaining arms from Russia and China.

Operating in decentralized "People's Defense Forces," or PDFs, they are proving to be effective warriors, specializing in ambushes and occasionally overrunning isolated army and police posts. They have benefited greatly from supplies and training provided by the some of the country's ethnic minority rebels — Ethnic Armed Organizations, or EAOs — who have been fighting the army for decades for greater autonomy.

"That's not only a very brave thing to do. It's a very difficult thing to do," Richard Horsey, an independent analyst and adviser to the International Crisis Group, told The Associated Press. "It's a very challenging thing to do, to take on, you know, a military that's been fighting counter-insurgency warfare (for) basically its whole existence."

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/01/1153150529/resistance-to-military-rule-in-myanmar-remains-steady-2-years-after-army-seized-

The ongoing resistance movement in Myanmar draws inspiration from the longstanding Burmese insurgent political tradition, aiming to forge a wide and inclusive alliance between anti-junta democratic forces and ethnic armed groups (EAOs). Initially sparked by healthcare professionals who refused to cooperate with the military administration, the civil disobedience movement has gained momentum across various sectors, including banking, transportation, and education. While armed resistance has also been evident—spearheaded by diverse ethnic armed and rebel groups like the People’s Defense Forces (PDFs), Shan State Progress Party (SSPP), the United Wa State Party (UWSP), Karen National Liberation Army (KNLA), Kachin Independence Army (KIA)—the movement lacks a centralization commanded by a “federal army” that could strengthen efforts to restore democracy and freedom.

https://southasianvoices.org/where-does-the-resistance-movement-in-myanmar-stand/

So those in Chiang Mai doing a muti entry visit Thai family Visa run to Myanmar can forget about it? 

I'm not on the list of VOA countries. But that seems to be Air arrivals only, does anyone know what's happening up in Mae Sai/Tachileik this month? 

So it looks like a day flight to anywhere else is a better option. I'd rather spend the money than risk a disappearance, or even a wasted trip.

Only the paranoid survive!

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The terminology is rather biased, government forces and rebels?

Should it not be military and residents?

It is several different military groups....Myanmar has a lot different ethnics. We had a staff from Myanmar....he deeply hated Aung San Suu Kyi.

But he also strongly disliked the regular military, not hated them anymore since they helped against the Rohingya which they were in a civil war against.

And many of these groups have some paramilitary groups......he told he was for month without supply in the jungle training to live there. But from their ethnic defense....

And Aung San Suu Kyi represent another military family...her father was a big one there.
It is way more complicate that we get told in the news. And on top of it, you have religious conflicts there...Nationalist Buddhists, Christians and Muslims....

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

30 minutes ago, h90 said:

It is several different military groups....Myanmar has a lot different ethnics. We had a staff from Myanmar....he deeply hated Aung San Suu Kyi.

But he also strongly disliked the regular military, not hated them anymore since they helped against the Rohingya which they were in a civil war against.

And many of these groups have some paramilitary groups......he told he was for month without supply in the jungle training to live there. But from their ethnic defense....

And Aung San Suu Kyi represent another military family...her father was a big one there.
It is way more complicate that we get told in the news. And on top of it, you have religious conflicts there...Nationalist Buddhists, Christians and Muslims....

A real melting pot.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you BB

4 hours ago, h90 said:

As with historic perspective repeated and promoted by particular circles - nothing appears as it seems to be. 

This is Burma. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

As with historic perspective repeated and promoted by particular circles - nothing appears as it seems to be. 

This is Burma. 

Burma is a true melting pot of Ethnic cultures and groups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Burma is a true melting pot of Ethnic cultures and groups.

Yes indeed. When I visited Hsipaw in Shan State, I was amazed to see a large mosque with many muslims walking the streets along with other Burmese people. Photo - the Mosque in Hsipaw:

Hsipaw Mosque in Burma 4sharedimages.com | Beautiful mosques, Mosque, Hsipaw

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chalawaan said:

So those in Chiang Mai doing a muti entry visit Thai family Visa run to Myanmar can forget about it? 

I'm not on the list of VOA countries. But that seems to be Air arrivals only, does anyone know what's happening up in Mae Sai/Tachileik this month? 

So it looks like a day flight to anywhere else is a better option. I'd rather spend the money than risk a disappearance, or even a wasted trip.

Only the paranoid survive!

When I did a border bounce in Mae Sai 2 weeks ago it was business as usual.