1000 Island Dressing on a Pizza????

sqwakvfr

The pernicious effect of AMERICAs "rock and roll sushi" culture where every kind of maki is garnished with large flourishes of mayonnaise is apparent in Thailand. I forgot recently when I ordered a salmon skin roll from a Chiang Mai restaurant. Totally slathered in what is actually not mayo but sriracha infused low-quality "salad cream". Yuck

I heard of pizza made with thousand island dressing here in the states.  I guess if you like that sort of thing.  It’s fine for the individual. 
 But each country has its own variations of pizza 

1 hour ago, mushroomdave said:

Over the 23 years I lived in Taiwan, you should have seen what they put on theirs at times!!!! ????????????

You may call a dog a cat but this does not make it so.

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

... I have yet to find a decent pizza or for that matter real fish & chips here in Thailand.

If in Chonburi try the Pizzeria "Sicily" at the bottom (I mean lower end) of Lake Maprachan (Darkside). I know from experience that this is a good one.

If in Bangkok I would have a look at Sarita, Thonglor. I did not try this one yet, but the story behind it is very promising (long tradition from Naples).

Edited by moogradod

18 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Does anyone know when and why 1000 Island dressing is sometimes used as sauce on a Pizza.  I made the mistake of ordering a chicken pizza from Pizza Company and to my surprise the sauce was 1000 Island Dressing.  This was my mistake and I did not read the menu properly.  Also, the full list of ingredients on the Grab App is sometimes difficult to read.  

And don't forget to smother it with ketchup too!!!

Anyway Thai's love sweet, that's why.

Edited by rwill

19 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Thanks. I should have stayed with Pepperoni. I actually switched to the Spicy chicken and got the unpleasant surprise.  

Spicy chicken could be considered to be like Buffalo wings which is often served with thousand island dressing. Did the pizza come with celery?  55

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Pizza Company is famous for it's absolutely bizarre ingredients. Many do not consider it pizza, at all. And the quality is very low to boot. Best to avoid the junk they create.

1000 island dressing on a pizza is an abomination against Italy.

Same as pineapple !

• Haha 1

i ordered a hawaiian from somewhere in buriram and i got the dreaded 1,000 island stuff.  i actually ate a piece before i realized.  so it wasn't unedible but i didn't eat another piece.  i've had much better luck in BKK, tomato sauce at all times, no problems.

On 6/25/2023 at 3:54 PM, xylophone said:

occasionally make my own pizzas, and they are varied, and one I do like occasionally is a tandoori chicken pizza, complete with onions, a little sliced banana and some sweet mango chutney – – to die for?

Indeed you should "die for" that abomination! ????

• Haha 1

The Thai’s actually do the sauce thing even on local food. The street vendors want to put a bunch of junk on things, squirt bottle sauces, condiments, the roti is always drowned at the end, egg rolls are never served dry but need the red sauce on it in the bag, etc. They don’t like not putting it on even when you say no.

It’s like it’s not good enough as it is and they feel like they need to “service the food” in some way to make you like it or so you see the effort and don’t complain. Weird.

Edited by JimTripper

22 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

John's Pizza on Bleecker Street? 

Earth Wood Fire was one of them   Touch of Italy was another.......Mama Mia....

not to be confused with Earth WIND and Fire even tho it was a boogie wonderland

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

my daughter and her husband own 4 pizza and kebab joints in England she was here in Phuket a few weeks ago she ordered a couple of pizzas she said they were crap and not cooked, 

Thais have you seen them make toast? warm bread, 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Indeed you should "die for" that abomination! ????

Really no more than Tandoori chicken on a pizza base instead of another carbohydrate (rice).............pure heaven. Mind you I do eat top Italian pizzas in the main and a restaurant here makes great pizzas (with extra anchovies a must)!! Spoilt for choice.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Thais have you seen them make toast? warm bread, 

You just described my Mrs, everytime I go to the toaster it’s dialed down to zero…

She has a pathological fear of “black” food.

Any colored portion of food must be removed.

She cooked Crying Tiger for me one time and overcooked the steak. I went inside to get a drink and saw the pile of trimmings on the chopping board and hoovered them up… yum !  She took the dishes inside later and discovered that the black bits were missing and was frantic ????

I was in trouble again… ????????

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 1