Bargirl is one of the few AI-Proof Professions

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

how did you learn to tie your shoes? someone taught you. 

data in, data out. it's a form of intelligence. 

Your explanation is rudimentary and is true as far as it goes... however the AI bunch is all in on AI also having a "human aspect" to it in it's ability to reason... however even they cannot agree... https://www.britannica.com/science/human-intelligence-psychology

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Your explanation is rudimentary and is true as far as it goes... however the AI bunch is all in on AI also having a "human aspect" to it in it's ability to reason... however even they cannot agree... https://www.britannica.com/science/human-intelligence-psychology

It's debatable whether most human beings are able to "adapt to new situations" or to "handle abstract concepts" to any degree.

what abstract concepts have you grappled with lately? maybe it's a latent capability which few people exercise. 

if you think about what most of us do on a daily basis, they can all be programmed into a machine. 

maybe the main thing that separates us from machines is emotions. but that pertains more to how we handle interpersonal relationships. the rest is programmable. 

so do you want an unpredictable emotional bargirl or a pre-programmed sex doll? at some point people will get bored of their predictable sex dolls and they may start to program some unpredictable bitchiness into them ... a sex doll who talks back at you. 

Edited by save the frogs

9 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Your explanation is rudimentary and is true as far as it goes...

let's say you have a self-driving car vs human driver.

let's say a cat crosses the road. 99 times out of 100 the human driver will panic and swerve to avoid the cat. but you might get yourself killed. emotions come into play, panic, fear, humans are not that good at making split-second decisions. 

the self-driving car will be programmed and may only swerve if it's safe to swerve. it may have to decide to sacrifice the cat instead of the driver. 

On 7/4/2023 at 10:19 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

AI does not exist... it has been coined to explain how computers can interpret data in and their ability to rapidly interpolate it to data out.

I agree, it does not exist NOW, but it's coming, IMO.

People nowadays are confused as what AI is, and think clever computers are AI, which they are not.

IMO, to put it at the most simple, AI is a machine that can make autonomous decisions without needing any input, and it can learn without input from a human.

Actually, to look at what humans are doing I wonder if some of us actually posses anything that could be described as intelligence!

Even at the level of computing that already exists, seems that they are taking over much of what humans used to do, and they could do so much more. I'd like to see courts using computers instead of humans, as humans are always susceptible to emotion. If they got rid of lawyers, that would be a "good thing" IMO.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, save the frogs said:

let's say you have a self-driving car vs human driver.

let's say a cat crosses the road. 99 times out of 100 the human driver will panic and swerve to avoid the cat. but you might get yourself killed. emotions come into play, panic, fear, humans are not that good at making split-second decisions. 

the self-driving car will be programmed and may only swerve if it's safe to swerve. it may have to decide to sacrifice the cat instead of the driver. 

I must be the 1 out of a hundred then as I'd always run over the cat.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, save the frogs said:

It's debatable whether most human beings are able to "adapt to new situations" or to "handle abstract concepts" to any degree.

what abstract concepts have you grappled with lately? maybe it's a latent capability which few people exercise. 

if you think about what most of us do on a daily basis, they can all be programmed into a machine. 

Agree.

Looking at the human race objectively, most never do more than the same thing as everyone else around them.

The number of people that come up with actually new ideas are a tiny minority.

IMO most of the inventions that we use everyday were created by a few individuals, even if they were developed by others.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Looking at the human race objectively, most never do more than the same thing as everyone else around them.

yah, agree with your last couple of posts. 

what i'm wondering is what will happen when these AIs get really powerful ...

we will all start to realize that we're not that smart and not needed for anything productive. and then what? 

human beings may need to develop their empathy or sth ... 

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 10:49 PM, Hummin said:

So those who have nothing, will still have nothing when AI take over! 

Where do you expect average joe will get his money from in future for enjoying life, make family, ?

I believe life will not change much for average joe in future for the better

That's the million $ question.

Will AI be used to make life better for all, or will it be kept for the few behind impregnable walled refuges from the masses left outside with nothing?

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

yah, agree with your last couple of posts. 

what i'm wondering is what will happen when these AIs get really powerful ...

we will all start to realize that we're not that smart and not needed for anything productive. and then what? 

human beings may need to develop their empathy or sth ... 

Humans IMO never do anything till it's too late, and IMO AI will be the end of humanity.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:54 AM, save the frogs said:

all medical professions will be wiped out

Well, won't there always be a need for caregivers for ill people. AI is not going to bring breakfast in bed or help the person to walk... but then again?? maybe they will?? 

I just watched another video about AI and the future of jobs.

Another guy is predicting that all medical professions will be wiped out by AI (but he doesn't give a time frame). 

Even politicians may be replaced by AI. 

Basically, most current professions might be wiped out. 

A lot of people look down on the bargirl profession but, very strangely, it might be one of the few professions that is AI-proof. 

I give you 50 % right and 50 % wrong. 

Regarding A, it´s as artificial as it can be.

Regarding I, it´s none existent. 

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Well, won't there always be a need for caregivers for ill people. AI is not going to bring breakfast in bed or help the person to walk... but then again?? maybe they will?? 

elon musk is working on humanoid robots.

so maybe yes. 

Edited by save the frogs

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Regarding A, it´s as artificial as it can be.

Regarding I, it´s none existent. 

right now, they're still fully programmed?

but what about the robot that plays GO? 

it needs to makes decisions, guess future outcomes etc ... to beat the opponents i think ...

not sure. it's above my pay grade. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

As someone that worked in health care for decades, a robot would be better than some of the people I worked with.

Much of healthcare is just simple activities that could easily be done by robots, and if they "chatted" to the patients they'd be more beneficial than the overworked and burnt out humans that are so often found on hospital wards. During my training I was actually punished for talking to the patients.

• Love It 1

I just watched another video about AI and the future of jobs.

Another guy is predicting that all medical professions will be wiped out by AI (but he doesn't give a time frame). 

Even politicians may be replaced by AI. 

Basically, most current professions might be wiped out. 

A lot of people look down on the bargirl profession but, very strangely, it might be one of the few professions that is AI-proof. 

nope there are already robot sex girls who can do conversation.....And bar conversations are usually not that complex.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As someone that worked in health care for decades, a robot would be better than some of the people I worked with.

Much of healthcare is just simple activities that could easily be done by robots, and if they "chatted" to the patients they'd be more beneficial than the overworked and burnt out humans that are so often found on hospital wards. During my training I was actually punished for talking to the patients.

When my grandmum needed care, they proudly said that they change the old rules.

Old: a main responsible person that knows the person well. And a team of others.

New: everyone is rotated and no one should know any patient too good or have too much contact.

While I see why they do it and the danger if some patient get to attached to a helper. It is plain horrible for an old person who is only in the bed to have not even the helper to speak with.

Yes robot would be better.....But humans could be also better than these soulless bureaucrats that try to make robots out of real humans 

Agreed, I can see on nurse per floor that you ring up in an emergency and a lot of robots dropping off meds and warm jello at dinner time. 

You can't talk about AI without talking about universal basic income -which is currently politically impossible.

Current politics aren't even playing catchup with the new tech reality. It's the industrial revolution part deux (Mighty Ducks reference).

36 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

right now, they're still fully programmed?

but what about the robot that plays GO? 

it needs to makes decisions, guess future outcomes etc ... to beat the opponents i think ...

not sure. it's above my pay grade. 

I chat with some of the AIs about polar bears and penguins....they got it mostly right, beside insisting that arctic and the antarctic is colder than the other....that both can't be colder didn't bother it, even after questions.

In that dialog I ask it to speculate if we take polar bears to the antarctic if they might survive. Every 5 year old would speculate if a polar bear could hunt for penguins or maybe not. Even with push it can not speculate about it....also not declining it for any reason. It is just a large language model with some amazing difficult statistic program. But it can't get an idea that no one has written about. There is no little bit of I in this AI...only a following the rules.

And for the GO....it would not get the idea of moving one of your parts while you go on the toilet, as you won't remember it.....An intelligent move that every 5 year old gets.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Agreed, I can see on nurse per floor that you ring up in an emergency and a lot of robots dropping off meds and warm jello at dinner time. 

You can't talk about AI without talking about universal basic income -which is currently politically impossible.

Current politics aren't even playing catchup with the new tech reality. It's the industrial revolution part deux (Mighty Ducks reference).

But they already thought with the industrial revolution that as we have steam engines the labor won't be needed anymore. So we need communism to just give distribute fair.
I don't know now.....Maybe there will be billions of robots that create millions of jobs for service technicians? Or handmade things get so popular that everyone does pottery as it is a must have?

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I look at the world as it is, not as I wish it would be. How else would I be anything but pessimistic?

Put me on ignore if you don't like reading my posts.

Through your eyes, you see the world as you perceive it... same as the rest of us... 

and your side is colored by the mistakes you made and maybe remain unaware of, but willingly blame on others w/o seeing their side...

13 minutes ago, h90 said:

But they already thought with the industrial revolution that as we have steam engines the labor won't be needed anymore. So we need communism to just give distribute fair.

Agreed. Communism was a political response to new technology. Will the next response be any wiser?

For most poor people, AI-doomed jobs like being an X-ray technician are the route to the lower middle class. What will the political response be when that route severely narrows? 

Currently the political response from those people is Trump. So I only see more friction ahead.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

they'd be more beneficial than the overworked and burnt out humans that are so often found on hospital wards

Yes, that I would believe... I had a nurse come into my room at 1 a.m. and found me sitting on the edge of my bed as I had just returned from the bathroom. She was concerned that I couldn't sleep so she knocked on my door [waking me up] 20 minutes later to see if I was sleeping... she did the same thing again 20 minutes after that.

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

During my training I was actually punished for talking to the patients.

Yes, I would believe that - the patients must have been complaining. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Agreed. Communism was a political response to new technology. Will the next response be any wiser?

For most poor people, AI-doomed jobs like being an X-ray technician are the route to the lower middle class. What will the political response be when that route severely narrows? 

Currently the political response from those people is Trump. So I only see more friction ahead.

Maybe it will be important for us to have someone real to feel safe?

For your X-Ray technician.....Imagine a hospital with almost all robots and AI...it would scare me a lot.....maybe we'll insist on humans....

Or who want to chat with a robot girl?

• Like 1

Self-checkout at the supermarket is a useful parallel. You can still wait (and wait) for a cashier. You can go to a nicer store, pay more and get waited on.

But the high water mark for cashier-hiring has come and gone. If the robot X-ray is cheaper and faster, then that's all she wrote.

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Self-checkout at the supermarket is a useful parallel. You can still wait (and wait) for a cashier. You can go to a nicer store, pay more and get waited on.

But the high water mark for cashier-hiring has come and gone. If the robot X-ray is cheaper and faster, then that's all she wrote.

also the truck driver that drives always from the same warehouse to the same set of supermarkets should be very easy to replace

Yeah, and also the truck driver infra-structure of everything from jiffy-lube to gas stations that make more money from selling little bags of beef jerky then they do from gasoline will be shaky too.

Without selling food and drink, those gas stations cannot cover their costs. Self-drive vehicles are very light on jerky consumption.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Yeah, and also the truck driver infra-structure of everything from jiffy-lube to gas stations that make more money from selling little bags of beef jerky then they do from gasoline will be shaky too.

Without selling food and drink, those gas stations cannot cover their costs. Self-drive vehicles are very light on jerky consumption.

I think in future they won't need gas stations anymore. Either some plug in while loading/unloading. Some battery swap, or maybe you have line on the highway that allows loading the battery while driving....up like for trains or on the side like subway. As the large truck batteries will need too long to load and the self driving does not need a toilet brake.

But for sure it will need a few people (not many) that take care of self driving trucks that have a technical malfunction on the street. But still minus 99% of people.

What I do during my work day an AI could do 95% of it easily.

What we do on the CNC lathe...which is not mass production but single pieces can't be replaced easily.....unless 3D printing maybe get better in future