How to deal with an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people.

bob smith

2 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

so personal appearance takes precedance over basic human decency? 

are people really that shallow here??

I think anywhere in the world that would apply - I don't think anywhere, anyone, would want to sit next to someone who is dirty, disheveled and looks like they might have lice - - I am not saying that you do, but if it happens to you and not others... 

and you do seem to worship Boggs, so, there is a 'creep' vibe that people can give off... and that might not show up in the mirror... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you learned to speak Thai? Do you attempt to communicate with Thais?

I will never be fluent in Thai. Having said that, Thais do love jokes, and plays on words. I have learned quite a few rude slang expressions which they enjoy when it is self-deprecating humor.

If you think Thais are racist ( and they are ) you should try the Chinese and Japanese. Thais are mild by comparison.

Most Thais have never been outside Thailand, their mindset is rooted in a nagging sense of inferiority.

Your mindset needs to change if you want to enjoy life here. How you do that is up to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

t's not that you think that Thais are so bad, but that you  think that you are sooo much better.

dont thais have a simialr attitude toward cambodian/lao/burmese people? 

perhaps their dislike for us is rooted in the fact that they feel inferior to foreigners because they know they are not above us in the world pecking order?

if thats the case then it aint my fault i was born with white skin! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

My last few trips to Bangkok have been following hip surgery. I was walking with a cane and an obvious limp. Every time I went on the crowded AirportLink or Skytrain, some Thai person would get up and offer a seat to me.

thats really great to hear! thanks for your input.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Sure , they are human and are motivated by the same human complexes . if asked,I would give them the same as to the Op.

And there it is!

They don't feel inferior to you , they resent you superiority complex. 

Are you trolling me? to try and get a rise out of me? because you can't be serious oh great white hunter. ????

I struggle to see how sitting quietly at a table drinking a coffee exerts a superiority complex? enough to make the woman move away? 

did you even read my OP?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

No they had it infinitely worse than anything you're experiencing and shouldn't even come into the conversation as a comparison. 

two wrongs dont make a right, do they?

discrimination is discrimination and can happen to anyone regardless of the color of their skin! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

I struggle to see how sitting quietly at a table drinking a coffee exerts a superiority complex? enough to make the woman move away? 

did you even read my OP?

I did not, but I don't think I have to.

I don't know what happened while drinking your coffee , but I am willing to bet that it did not occur in a vacuum and is a part of of a wider interaction complex. Or perhaps you you are right and you are involved with bad people. 

There good and bad in every culture. But you did say, "Thais" which leads me to believe that it is a a problem you have with Thais in general and not with the people at the table . 

So I will go and read the rest of your OP and perhaps I am wrong, in which case I will apologise.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1