Tourist filmed carving his girlfriend’s name into Rome’s Colosseum

webfact

image.jpeg

Italy’s culture minister is calling for a man to be “identified and sanctioned” after he was filmed allegedly carving his and his fiancée’s names into the Colosseum in Rome.

Gennaro Sangiuliano tweeted on Monday: “I consider it very serious, unworthy and a sign of great incivility that a tourist defaces one of the most famous places in the world, a historical heritage (site) such as the Colosseum, to carve the name of his fiancée.”

“I hope that whoever carried out this act will be identified and sanctioned according to our laws,” he continued.

By Amarachi Orie, CNN

File photo source: Wikipedia

Full story: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tourist-inscribes-name-colosseum-rome-intl-scli/index.html

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright CNN 2023-06-27

40 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Funny as I remember reading of Romans carving their names into British monuments a thousand years ago, so it is payback time.

Quite a lot of payback for the offender though. There is plenty of ancient graffiti at the Colosseum but recent addition have proved costly. £15800 costly in one case.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-30182678

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, Purdey said:

Funny as I remember reading of Romans carving their names into British monuments a thousand years ago, so it is payback time.

I don't think there were ancient Romans around in the year 1023, not in Italy let alone in other countries. Or do you mean people born In Rome in general?