See how useless your Thai bank is when you go and try to register for the facial scan rule.

The problem with facial recognition is that most of the banks have put there own interpretation on the instructions from The Bank of Thailand. For the record it was BOT that implemented the facial recognition.

I have written (email) confirmation from BOT clearly stating that foreigners ARE included. Yet we are continually reading on here of the usual variances in practice that occurs on a regular basis in Thailand. e.g. People/foreigners with Bangkok Bank accounts are saying they have successfully had their photo taken with their passports, yet in my neck of the woods BKK bank is telling their foreigner customers that they are not included. My main bank, ttb and not just my branch but also their head office, is justifying this approach by stating they are exempt from the procedure with their foreigner bank accounts. Even after showing the assistant branch manager the email from BOT, and a subsequent phone call by the bank's assistant manager to BOT and being directed by BOT that they MUST also take photos of foreigners that have accounts with them, they still refused on the grounds of being exempt. BOT then telephoned ttb head office to make it clear that foreigners are included, but even their head office took the stance of ttb being exempt. So this just appears to be another example of different people with a little bit of power/authority putting their interpretation on a directive and ignoring the organisation that actually implemented the procedure. I guess we just have to hope that when the occasion arrives that we need to do a transfer of 50k or more with our mobile app that we don't get blocked with a message telling us to go to our bank branch to have a photo taken. Actually in a way I hope that does happen, that way the bank employees will have some serious egg on their faces AND lose face big time.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

How many more threads on this topic do we have to endure?

well, first I heard of it so I like to "endure" it, if you dont like it suk it up and read something else...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

I just did a money transfer yesterday and in order to do it, I had to snap a photo on my phone, which then verified the photo with the one on file at the bank.  The transfer then went through.  

I did a 100k transfer yesterday using IBanking the same as always so that must have been because you set your phone up for photo use.  Reports above say it is not required until next month.  As I do not use/have smart phone or a camera on PC guess will have to pay in smaller amounts if/when becomes a rule.

14 hours ago, marin said:

No they arent. Krung Thai Bank is the government bank. GSB is Government Saving Bank a rather smaller bank. You are the first foreigner I have know to have an account there, 

KTB is not the government bank, it is a state-owned bank, as is GSB.  The government just happens to use KTB for disbursements.

Got messages from Bangkok and Krungsri banks saying go in with passport and bankbook. BB knew why I was there, took a photo and showed me how it works on my mobile. Krungsri said they already had my photo (they take it every time I get a new bankbook) and didn't know why I wanted it on my mobile app??? Said I could do it myself. Checked app and only thing I can see is on introduction page and that won't let me use my camera?

10/10 Bangkok Bank! 0/10 Krungsri! Incidentally tried to do facial recognition on NatWest as they are encouraging it but can't get it to accept my photo.

All very hit and miss!   

14 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Duh, you just contradicted yourself. GSB has the word 'government' in it. Are you saying its not a government bank???????????????????

It is the most solid bank in Thailand. I have heard from multiple sources (Thai people) that mega rich thai families keep huge savings in GSB. Also heard it from an employee of GSB who's a friend. IMHO its the best place to park money and many foreigners have accounts there accordingly. 

And it's the only Thai bank that offers 100% depositor protection.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I know, but I will respond and that's my choice.

It took all of 10 minutes to have my photo taken in my local Krungsri branch.

Did they show you how it works on your app. My branch had no idea what I was talking about and they take a photo for card and bank book renewals anyway 

16 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

practice my mantra 'I have to lower my expectations'.

I stopped having any.

Now it feels like X-mas multiple times every day. Like when I order a Coke, and the waitress actually brings a Coke (instead of a Coke Zero, I know I'm a fat ugly falang but if I wanna drink a Coke I'll friggin' drink a Coke thank you) - BOOM! Xmas!

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I also recently did a money transfer using Wise and discovered that Wise now requires extra steps, including uploading a document with photo ID before the transfer would go through.

When was that? And from what country?

I used Wise on 6 June to transfer $20000 from the US. Nothing had changed in the process since I signed up with Wise years ago.

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"See how useless your Thai bank is when you go and try to register for the facial scan rule".

If your bank does not require that registration then not offering it is not being useless.

Every bank needs to implement it, directive of the Thai Central Bank.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

when the occasion arrives that we need to do a transfer of 50k or more with our mobile app that we don't get blocked with a message telling us to go to our bank branch to have a photo taken. Actually in a way I hope that does happen, that way the bank employees will have some serious egg on their faces AND lose face big time.

Got my picture taken at a BB office 2 months ago, was in and out in no time.

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

Got my picture taken at a BB office 2 months ago, was in and out in no time.

that proves what I posted. Communication within the banks and interpretation from branch to branch is like all other things Thai. There is no uniformity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

When was that? And from what country?

I used Wise on 6 June to transfer $20000 from the US. Nothing had changed in the process since I signed up with Wise years ago.

It was on June 23rd, a transfer of $5,000 from a USA bank to a bank in Thailand.  I first wanted to send it to my Yellow bank account but got a message that the amount was over 50,000 baht and amounts over 50,000 baht could only be sent to Bangkok Bank and one other bank--I can't remember what the other bank was. 

I also have a Bangkok Bank account so I selected that bank.  I then got the message that I needed to upload photo identification before the transaction could be processed.  The choices were:  passport, national ID, drivers license, and there might have been 1 more choice, can't remember.  I used my passport and Wise wanted a downloaded photo that showed both my passport photograph and my signature.  I also had to upload a face photo taken with my cell phone.  I never had to do any of this before with lots of Wise transfers.   I was using my laptop and cell phone but I think a transaction can be done using just your cell phone.  I've cut and pasted below the emailed message I got from Wise:

Follow these steps to verify your identity using your phone

1. Open this email on your mobile device
  2. Tap on the button ‘Verify your ID’ below
  3. Take a clear photo of your ID
  4. Take a photo of yourself — make sure your face is fully visible
  5. Go back to your computer to finish

Verify your ID

If you don’t know why you got this email, please get in touch so we can fix this for you.

So far I haven't been requested to go in to do this ( Bangkok Bank). It would be tricky as I am not in Thailand right now and have no definite date to return.

Can you do this at any branch of BBL or must you go to the branch where the account is held?

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I did a 100k transfer yesterday using IBanking the same as always so that must have been because you set your phone up for photo use.  Reports above say it is not required until next month.  As I do not use/have smart phone or a camera on PC guess will have to pay in smaller amounts if/when becomes a rule.

I don't think I set up my phone to require photo ID--I hardly use it for much and mostly use my laptop.  I did go to Bangkok Bank to do the photo ID/facial scan thing so perhaps at that point photo ID got linked as a requirement when I use the online banking.  Just a guess.

18 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

So far I haven't been requested to go in to do this ( Bangkok Bank). It would be tricky as I am not in Thailand right now and have no definite date to return.

Can you do this at any branch of BBL or must you go to the branch where the account is held?

I have a BKK Bank account, and AFAIK, haven't received any communication from them as yet on the 50K transfers issue and photo identification deal.

They have paper photocopies of my current passport, which has my photo and signature on the main page. And  they may even have past electronic scans of my prior passport. But nothing more than that AFAIK.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:
18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I know, but I will respond and that's my choice.

It took all of 10 minutes to have my photo taken in my local Krungsri branch.

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Did they show you how it works on your app. My branch had no idea what I was talking about and they take a photo for card and bank book renewals anyway 

The (constantly repeating) reminder on the App said I was to go into a branch, with my ID/passport, which I did. After a bit of paperwork and signing (plus counter signing by the manager) my photo was taken by them.

The only thing I did on my phone was play Sudoku whilst waiting my turn.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true...

The current 1 million deposit protection per bank per accountholder provided for under Thai law pertains to Thai commercial banks, and GSB is not considered one of those, though Krung Thai Bank is. (There also are several other Thai government banks like BAAC that also aren't covered by DPA).

https://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/list-of-insured-financial-institutions

Because GSB is not covered by the deposit protection law, the status of the deposits it holds is up to the Thai government, and in the absence of any governing law, who knows how they would respond if GSB were to fail financially.

In the Asian financial crisis (that predated the current DPA law), where several commercial banks failed in Thailand, my understanding is foreign depositors generally did get their funds back eventually... But from what I've heard (the AFC was before my time), it often was a long process.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, newnative said:

It was on June 23rd, a transfer of $5,000 from a USA bank to a bank in Thailand.  I first wanted to send it to my Yellow bank account but got a message that the amount was over 50,000 baht and amounts over 50,000 baht could only be sent to Bangkok Bank and one other bank--I can't remember what the other bank was. 

I also have a Bangkok Bank account so I selected that bank.  I then got the message that I needed to upload photo identification before the transaction could be processed.  The choices were:  passport, national ID, drivers license, and there might have been 1 more choice, can't remember.  I used my passport and Wise wanted a downloaded photo that showed both my passport photograph and my signature.  I also had to upload a face photo taken with my cell phone.  I never had to do any of this before with lots of Wise transfers.   I was using my laptop and cell phone but I think a transaction can be done using just your cell phone.  I've cut and pasted below the emailed message I got from Wise:

Follow these steps to verify your identity using your phone

1. Open this email on your mobile device
  2. Tap on the button ‘Verify your ID’ below
  3. Take a clear photo of your ID
  4. Take a photo of yourself — make sure your face is fully visible
  5. Go back to your computer to finish

Verify your ID

If you don’t know why you got this email, please get in touch so we can fix this for you.

I did something similar with Wise. I wanted to transfer a mere $100 from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account (it was my first transfer, and I am 'poor'). I had to scan my US passport using my iPhone. No big deal.

Someday, I will do the same, but for the 400+K Baht transfer to solidify my retirement in LOS with my Thai wife.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true...

The current 1 million deposit protection per bank provided for under Thai law pertains to Thai commercial banks, and GSB is not considered one of those

It is entirely true, that's why I posted it. 

GSB provides 100% depositor protection, it is not limited to B1m as all other Thai banks under the DPA are.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because GSB is not covered by the deposit protection law, the status of the deposits it holds is up to the Thai government,

Exactly, that's why the bank states specifically that all its depositors have 100% protection.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

19 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Kasikorn have no idea. They said foreigners are not able to do it. I told her I just did it at Bangkok bank. Oh....

But she's right. Kasikorn are not requiring it or doing it for foreigners yet.

My standard Kasikorn ATM card lets me take out 30k then immediately reinsert the card and take out another 20k. 

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is entirely true, that's why I posted it. 

GSB provides 100% depositor protection, it is not limited to B1m as all other Thai banks under the DPA are.

There's no Thai law that imposes that requirement on them, because they're not covered by the DPA.

It's up to the whims of the Thai government, which I would prefer not to rely on.

If you have some  source to substantiate your 100% claim regarding GSB, please post it here so we all can see....

The bank itself may make some claim about that. But if the bank making the claim ends up failing, then what?

At least with the DPA for commercial banks, there's a legally mandated and specified process for restoring depositor funds up to the specified limit, including specific timeframes for that process to occur.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you have some  source to substantiate your 100% claim regarding GSB, please post it here so we all can see....

I don't need to post anything to justify what is well known and backed by the government. It's a fact, it is not something that may, or may not be, in force.   

You're the only one who is suggesting that the bank may renege on it's commitment to protect depositors so how about you backing that up with something empirical?

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

She isn't right as it is a directive from the Thai Central Bank. Every bank has to implement it.

She's a Kasikorn employee. And so she gave him the correct information that Kasikorn is currently not doing it for foreigners. 

• Like 1