See how useless your Thai bank is when you go and try to register for the facial scan rule.

10 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

She's a Kasikorn employee. And so she gave him the correct information that Kasikorn is currently not doing it for foreigners. 

I think its pretty clear that Kasikorn will comply once they have decided how best to include foreign passport details into their system.

4 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Got messages from Bangkok and Krungsri banks saying go in with passport and bankbook. BB knew why I was there, took a photo and showed me how it works on my mobile. Krungsri said they already had my photo (they take it every time I get a new bankbook) and didn't know why I wanted it on my mobile app??? Said I could do it myself. Checked app and only thing I can see is on introduction page and that won't let me use my camera?

10/10 Bangkok Bank! 0/10 Krungsri! Incidentally tried to do facial recognition on NatWest as they are encouraging it but can't get it to accept my photo.

All very hit and miss!   

I bank with Krungsri, not going to even bother asking them, took them over 2 hours to get their own app to work on my phone. Anything other than deposit and withdraw results in head scratching and multiple workers do be able to do anything.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have a BKK Bank account, and AFAIK, haven't received any communication from them as yet on the 50K transfers issue and photo identification deal.

They have paper photocopies of my current passport, which has my photo and signature on the main page. And  they may even have past electronic scans of my prior passport. But nothing more than that AFAIK.

Yup. Me too. I have their banking app too. No problems so far. All works even outside Thailand ( UK).

Catch-22.

:smile: Hi, I'm Joe Farang and I want to take 100,000 THB out of my account.
:angry: You need facial ID to take out money.
:smile: Ok, how to I get a facial ID?
:angry: You Farang.  No can get 'facial ID."
:smile: OK, well, I'd like to take out 100,000 THB from my account.
:angry: No can.  You need 'facial ID."
????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, connda said:

Catch-22.

????

You obviously don't understand correctly.

You can physically go to the Bank branch (with PP and bankbook) and withdraw/transfer as per normal.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, couchpotato said:

You obviously don't understand correctly.

You can physically go to the Bank branch (with PP and bankbook) and withdraw/transfer as per normal.

You're correct.  Then what do you need a facial scan for?  I'm totally clueless regarding what this 50K rule is.  How are you limited to a 50K transaction? 

Edited by connda

20 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

So far I haven't been requested to go in to do this ( Bangkok Bank). It would be tricky as I am not in Thailand right now and have no definite date to return.

Can you do this at any branch of BBL or must you go to the branch where the account is held?

Any branch, it got multiple BB accounts in different provinces. You do it in one branch and all your accounts with that bank are sorted.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, connda said:

Catch-22.

????

Biometrics is for online banking. At the bank you show your passport and bankbook.

32 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Like i am going to deposit 800,000 baht for a retirement visa in a Thai bank. They are out of their mind. 

Why aren't there international banks allowed in Thailand?

you sound paranoid and clueless. All the retail banks have 1million government guarantee. GSB bank (pink bank) is unlimited. Rich thai families put hundreds of millions of baht in gsb. 

You should not worry about a pissy 800,000 haha

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Like i am going to deposit 800,000 baht for a retirement visa in a Thai bank. They are out of their mind. 

Foreign banks in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:06 AM, BritManToo said:

Having a working ATM card when one banks system is down.

your ATM card also works at other Thai banks.

I have not have a Thai bank ATM card for years. I have a credit card from Bangkok Bank, able to withdraw cash from my BBK savings account.

Cardless withdraw cash at any BBK ATM too. QR code payment whenever possible. Never missed not having an ATM card.

4 hours ago, Thailand J said:

your ATM card also works at other Thai banks.

I have not have a Thai bank ATM card for years. I have a credit card from Bangkok Bank, able to withdraw cash from my BBK savings account.

Cardless withdraw cash at any BBK ATM too. QR code payment whenever possible. Never missed not having an ATM card.

No BKB cards worked in any ATM when their system kept crashing last year.

12 hours ago, ianguygil said:

I would put the Mobile Banking Apps of any of the leading Thai banks up against any from the USA, UK, Australia, NZ etc.

Is FR just for mobile banking -- or will this eventually extend into IBanking? Or is Bangkok Bank considering doing away with IBanking altogether, as have some other Thai banks?

I ask because Wise asked me to do a FR, using my passport as the baseline, before I could proceed with a transfer from my desktop, i.e., no mobile banking involved.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:25 PM, ubonr1971 said:

It is the most solid bank in Thailand.

Not even in the top 5

1. Kasikorn Bank

2. Siam Commercial Bank

3. Bangkok Bank

4. TMBThanachart Bank

5. Krungthai Bank

20 hours ago, Don Chance said:

And why is that?. Tell us the problems you think Thai banks have had over the past decade (the answer is zero, but maybe you have secret information you'd like to share)

Edited by couchpotato
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ianguygil said:

The reason for the Facial Recognition in Apps in Thailand is to prevent fraud. Thailand is in a special situation in that the settlement is immediate, funds are available to the recipient when the transaction is confirmed to the sender. So many of the inefficiencies and the opportunities to intercept fraud do not exist here. Thailand is a leader in Mobile Banking in many ways

The reason that this does not work seamlessly for non-Thai is the lack of a National ID card. That card has an image which is leveraged for the FR technology to match the face with the transaction to that on record. Things like liveness detection are to be built into the App.

Thai banks have been instructed to do this by the regulators. If they have not done so they are liable for any fraud even if the customer has done many unwise things, like downloading fake Apps, particularly in the area of Accessibility. 

The only way to get an image for a non-Thai is to physically meet with the customer, and the best way to do that is in an official Bank branch, whereby we have the equipment and the trained staff to do this. 

I see that some banks allow non-Thai to continue without the need for FR, but that is a temporary solution I am pretty sure. You will need to do this one way or another. I am also glad to see that our branches (Bangkok Bank branches) are performing well in this task. 

If you have a specific question please PM me or ask me here. I will not answer for other banks and I will not respond to impolite comments or questions. If you want anything specific to your account I will help you offline. Not here. 

I am always horrified by the amount of plain unfair and negative comments about Thailand and Thai people here. Comments about not trusting Thai banks are pure bigotry. Thai banks are among the best capitalized banks in the world. The reason that many large foreign banks are not here is that the market is so competitive. They have simply pulled out of consumer banking. The list is long. ANZ. RBS, HSBC, CITI, STANCHART among others. All have pulled out of consumer banking in Thailand in the past 15 years. And they did so because it is too competitive here. 

I would put the Mobile Banking Apps of any of the leading Thai banks up against any from the USA, UK, Australia, NZ etc. Even many of the Singapore banks do not compare. 

Finally a man who knows what he's talking about, and understands the system.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, couchpotato said:

And why is that?. Tell us the problems you think Thai banks have had over the past decade (the answer is zero, but maybe you have secret information you'd like to share)

There has been many cases of Bank employees stealing money or running investment scams. If the banks is going to reimburse a farang is questionable.

Another issue is if you plan to retire in Thailand when will you take that money out to use it?  You will die and the bank will keep it.

Edited by Don Chance
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

There has been many cases of Bank employees stealing money or running investment scams. If the banks is going to reimburse a farang is questionable.

Another issue is if you plan to retire in Thailand when will you take that money out to use it?  You will die and the bank will keep it.

With an outlook on life like that, then I understand your anxiety.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

That money will go to next of kin just like any other account.  Yes it takes time as must be approved by court but nothing special about that type of account.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, ianguygil said:

The reason for the Facial Recognition in Apps in Thailand is to prevent fraud. Thailand is in a special situation in that the settlement is immediate, funds are available to the recipient when the transaction is confirmed to the sender. So many of the inefficiencies and the opportunities to intercept fraud do not exist here. Thailand is a leader in Mobile Banking in many ways

The reason that this does not work seamlessly for non-Thai is the lack of a National ID card. That card has an image which is leveraged for the FR technology to match the face with the transaction to that on record. Things like liveness detection are to be built into the App.

Thai banks have been instructed to do this by the regulators. If they have not done so they are liable for any fraud even if the customer has done many unwise things, like downloading fake Apps, particularly in the area of Accessibility. 

The only way to get an image for a non-Thai is to physically meet with the customer, and the best way to do that is in an official Bank branch, whereby we have the equipment and the trained staff to do this. 

I see that some banks allow non-Thai to continue without the need for FR, but that is a temporary solution I am pretty sure. You will need to do this one way or another. I am also glad to see that our branches (Bangkok Bank branches) are performing well in this task. 

If you have a specific question please PM me or ask me here. I will not answer for other banks and I will not respond to impolite comments or questions. If you want anything specific to your account I will help you offline. Not here. 

I am always horrified by the amount of plain unfair and negative comments about Thailand and Thai people here. Comments about not trusting Thai banks are pure bigotry. Thai banks are among the best capitalized banks in the world. The reason that many large foreign banks are not here is that the market is so competitive. They have simply pulled out of consumer banking. The list is long. ANZ. RBS, HSBC, CITI, STANCHART among others. All have pulled out of consumer banking in Thailand in the past 15 years. And they did so because it is too competitive here. 

I would put the Mobile Banking Apps of any of the leading Thai banks up against any from the USA, UK, Australia, NZ etc. Even many of the Singapore banks do not compare. 

Indeed. 

Did an online transfer yesterday of 50K, had to do biometric identification. App told me to remove my (reading) glasses, then the transfer got the Go ahead. Works great.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Did an online transfer yesterday of 50K, had to do biometric identification.

What bank? Obviously you, a farang, has his facial scan successfully  recorded at the bank. Thus, another piece of the puzzle to this thread...

Today/30 June I did a Bt100K transfer from Krungsri Bank to Bangkok Bank using the Krungsri mobile app.  I had to do the facial recognition thing which worked like a charm.  Money immediately transferred/posted to the Bangkok Bank. acct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1