Pheu Thai party wants the House speakership and 14 cabinet seats

webfact

image.png

The Pheu Thai party will demand 14 cabinet seats and the House speakership in talks with the Move Forward party. Failing that, both parties will review their positions.

The Move Forward party would get 14 cabinet seats plus the prime minister’s post.

This stance was unilaterally agreed upon at a meeting today (Tuesday) of the Pheu Thai party’s executive committee and MPs. It will be presented at a meeting of the negotiating teams of the two parties Wednesday.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-party-wants-the-house-speakership-and-14-cabinet-seats/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

#BREAKING: A meeting between @MFPThailand and @PheuThaiParty

aimed to resolve the tussle over the House speaker role and other demands by Pheu Thai scheduled for Wednesday morning has been indefinitely postponed, Move Forward tells media.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1673735255591899138

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Pheu Thai party will demand 14 cabinet seats and the House speakership in talks with the Move Forward party. Failing that, both parties will review their positions.

So be it... 

Opening shots in negotiations, or an absolute demand?

Interesting how the smiling face of glamorous Paetongtarn has been replaced by a more conventional "bulldog chewing a wasp" image!

It would be interesting to know how much Paetongtarn was worth to their electoral success. In a society as image conscious as this I rather imagine it played a significant part!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

That should be Pheu Thai wish to negotiate the positions of.....

not demand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Surprised they didn't ask for a pony too.

The entire cabinet is thirty-five, of which 19 or 20 are "ministries".

Can't see MFP giving up the Speaker position. 

The cabinet is limited to 35 cabinet members and the current number of cabinet members is 19. So PTP wants about three quarters of the current cabinet.

That's not justified by the massive electoral vote received by MFP. Maybe 25% or 5 that leaves some cabinet positions for other coalition parties, ie., 1 each.

Regarding Speaker, do a one MP vote from each if the MFP coalition parties or agree to an annual rotation.

I think the cabinet includes members not associated with a Ministry.

Deputy PMs (for example Prawit and Wissanu)

Office of the Prime Minister

WiKi says

No. of ministers    35
Total no. of members    45

I guess my point is that PTP's ask may not be unreasonable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A bit much for a second place at the elections... Pheu Thai should show they are worthy to rule and be happy with the the first place of MFP. So MFP House Speaker and PM and Pheu Thai deputy House Speaker and less cabinet seats as MFP. Deals can be made

depends on how many ministers are there.....way too many I guess.

10 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I think the cabinet includes members not associated with a Ministry.

Deputy PMs (for example Prawit and Wissanu)

Office of the Prime Minister

WiKi says

No. of ministers    35
Total no. of members    45

I guess my point is that PTP's ask may not be unreasonable.

35 ministers....that is ridiculous.....

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

This is exactly what MF needs. They are now playing with the big boys where no quarter is given. If they fold on the Speakers position there will be no amendment to 112. Do PT really dare to go to the dark side?

They are about the same size as MF...and MF get the top position..the PM. So PT gets more of the lower positions.

I don't know what the parliament can do without speaker...in my country there is no speaker.

3 hours ago, h90 said:

They are about the same size as MF...and MF get the top position..the PM. So PT gets more of the lower positions.

I don't know what the parliament can do without speaker...in my country there is no speaker.

MF cannot get 112 amended if the Speaker doesn’t allow the topic to be debated or voted on.

31 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

MF cannot get 112 amended if the Speaker doesn’t allow the topic to be debated or voted on.

yes in theory, but are there ways for the parliament or ministers to force the speaker? Like bringing in a law with certain amount of MPs sign it and than it must be brought to the house for discussion? Or a minister brings a law? If there is no such way the speaker would have too much power, but with that sloppy constitution nothing would surprise me.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A bit much for a second place at the elections... Pheu Thai should show they are worthy to rule and be happy with the the first place of MFP. So MFP House Speaker and PM and Pheu Thai deputy House Speaker and less cabinet seats as MFP. Deals can be made

Possibly more about what the paymaster is trying to demand. 

And perhaps soon from his jail cell.

31 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Slated for the smaller coalition partners if not been stated by both major parties. 

Health is a money maker....they wouldn't want to give that away

5 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

If they can't agree even on this, what chance do they have of working together effectively in future?

I have no confidence that this squabbling leftist coalition is going to be anything other than chaotic and incompetent. The country may be better off sticking with Prayut until there is some proper opposition.

Prayut did nothing the last years...which is the best I can hope for. Leftist usually are catastrophic on the money.

53 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

If they can't agree even on this, what chance do they have of working together effectively in future?

I have no confidence that this squabbling leftist coalition is going to be anything other than chaotic and incompetent. The country may be better off sticking with Prayut until there is some proper opposition.

You think it’s time to stage a coup because they are squabbling?