Staying long term on Tourist Visa Only- Experiences?

So how many people here have managed to stayed year round or nearly year round with back to back Tourist Visa's?

I'm talking staying 1-2 years already - with maybe 1 week holiday inbetween - going to penang/kuala lumpur/vietanne etc in between visa's

Hard to gauge so close after COVID but how about just before COVID also 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Yes pre COVID it was easy to do with very little problems apart from the odd warning stamp in your passport.

Now it's very difficult to do.

Are you sure though, I'm sure i've heard online teachers are still staying here continuously through TR visas even after COVID......but wanted to hear from peoples experiences here

Edited by hydraides
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Robbkk said:

Didn't think that was possible anymore. Do you stamp out and stamp back in on the same day or spend a few days abroad?

I used to do this a lot before covid. I avoided trouble by always spending a few days abroad between visas. That resets the "number of consecutive days spent in Thailand" that immigration seems to use.

Spend a few days abroad after a 60+30 TR visa and apply for a new one whilst abroad

8 hours ago, hydraides said:

So how many people here have managed to stayed year round or nearly year round with back to back Tourist Visa's?

I'm talking staying 1-2 years already - with maybe 1 week holiday inbetween - going to penang/kuala lumpur/vietanne etc in between visa's

You call this short term? Wow. 

8 hours ago, hydraides said:

It was getting increasingly difficult right before Covid, but still doable with careful planning. I got my last tourist visa in Hanoi in October 2019, with a passport full of tourist visas from elsewhere within the region. Never had a problem, but I put a lot of time into planning my "visa runs" and stayed out of Thailand for a bit longer than necessary just to obtain a new visa.

Nowadays, I don't think it's feasible anymore. Hanoi is a good example, they've become far less friendly after Covid. HCMC, Vientiane and Savannakhet are all more strict as well. I have one old passport (issued in 2015) that has four tourist visas from Vientiane alone in it, plus two from Savannakhet, that would be unthinkable now.

Your best bet right now is probably to start with a METV from your home country. Add a few visa exempt border bounces and you'll get a bit more than a year out of it, but for after that time, you really need to think about more suitable longterm visa options. 

Personally, I'd mix things up instead. Vietnam will bring back 3-month tourist visas in August, so I'd split most of my time between Thailand and Vietnam and throw in visits to other countries. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Rosho said:

Where does this accusation come from? There is no fraud here, completely legal and transparent. Why don't you schedule a call with me and tell me what you think you know? Accusing people of fraud publicly is illegal, on the other hand. 

I was a bit fast to take this personally... yes you are right, this visa run system is illegal. Hence, I propose solutions for those who depend on it, because they don't know that there are legal ways to live and work in Thailand.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

One thing to bear in mind is that there's a change of government happening at the moment so feedback you get now may not be relevant in 6 months time.

It's quite possible that the situation may change, either officially through legislation,  or unofficially through ministers instructing consulates/immigration to be less uptight about issuing visas.

Of course,  it could also go the other way.

We are not an EOR Business , our innovative process is different and I am happy to explain solutions for your particular case face to face and take out the complexity.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Rosho said:

Where does this accusation come from? There is no fraud here, completely legal and transparent. Why don't you schedule a call with me and tell me what you think you know? Accusing people of fraud publicly is illegal, on the other hand. 

He made no reference to you, or your business.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, hydraides said:

Are you sure though, I'm sure i've heard online teachers are still staying here continuously through TR visas even after COVID......but wanted to hear from peoples experiences here

If reading your post correctly you mention "online teaching" 

Seems you mean teaching Thai clients English without a work permit? 

As for your other point of experiences pre covid...

In 2019 there were many refused entry at Bangkok airports for trying to use ongoing back to back tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

Good luck with that in the future. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If reading your post correctly you mention "online teaching" 

Seems you mean teaching Thai clients English without a work permit? 

As for your other point of experiences pre covid...

In 2019 there were many refused entry at Bangkok airports for trying to use ongoing back to back tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

Good luck with that in the future. 

No I said I have a friend at work - whose brother stays here continuously by doing online teaching and using TR visas

I have passive income to support myself from selling digital products  on an american website(I don't need a work permit for this)

6 minutes ago, hydraides said:

No I said I have a friend at work - whose brother stays here continuously by doing online teaching and using TR visas

I have passive income to support myself from selling digital products  on an american website(I don't need a work permit for this)

The "brother " of friends works in Thailand doing online teaching.

Lives in Thailand continuously with TV.

Rubbish.

Perhaps you are referring to covid 2 year period. 

That has past. 

As for your situation....tick tok.

You cannot sustain ongoing stay in Thailand using tourist visas. 

Folk wanting to have ongoing living in S.E.A can combine living in Thailand with substantial stays in other countries .

Such as Vietnam.

These threads are in the main fitting a round peg in square hole.

Thailand has some of the most flexible options available including PE visa etc. 

Back to back ongoing SETV not an option. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, swerve said:

I hear Russians are currently able to an unlimited number of 30-day border bounces. If you have that passport, maybe you could do the same.

Via air think it's 90 days visa exempt.

Not sure re border entries. 

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Via air think it's 90 days visa exempt.

Not sure re border entries. 

An AN poster (Russian?) recently posted that Russians can do unlimited visa exempt land border bounces.  Strangely, Russians can't do 30-day extensions on the visa exempt. A Russian couple told me this.  Unlimited border bounce / no extensions?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, swerve said:

An AN poster (Russian?) recently posted that Russians can do unlimited visa exempt land border bounces.  Strangely, Russians can't do 30-day extensions on the visa exempt. A Russian couple told me this.  Unlimited border bounce / no extensions?

Doesn't sound legit , you're only allowed 2 x visa exempt per calender year