When does it become time to put money aside in a separate account and self insure?

Scouse123

1 minute ago, London Lowf said:

I sometime look at things from an unusual perpective.....

Insurance is gambling - the underwriter/actuary has calculated the chances of you making a claim and offers you a premium that they reckon will make them money - they are a business, after all.

By paying the premium you are effectively punting on the fact that they got their figures wrong and that your chances of getting sick are higher than they think - that's the only way you can "win".

By self-insuring you are denying the insurance industry their profits - but also taking a chance. However, the odds ARE in your favour.

True but if bad car crash or bad cancer then you need something. A basic policy is better than nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, K2938 said:

So if you are not part of your self-defined top 2%, you should get insurance.  Simple as this.

almost everyone here (AN) is the top 1 percent. about 5 billion humans live on 5 dollars a day income. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I self insure because I have to. 80 yo, pre-existing conditions. An application from me here would probably cause merriment among insurance writers.

Same here, although a little younger.

And I suspect, the same for many retired ex-pats/long termers.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 2

This is easy! NOW! start by putting a little aside per month and gradually increase as you age a bit.

Saving for any emergency is a wise move!

61 is NOT too old to have Health Insurance and for you to decide if affordable.

Start something now. Bangkok Bank, and others I assume, you can get Accident Insurance for less than B5,000 per year and covers you Worldwide.

@Scouse123

When does it NOT become time to put money aside in a separate account and self insure ?

Never had health ins

Never really needed health ins

Never expected a health ins co. to be then when needed

.... nuff said

No better time than NOW

• Thanks 1