U-Tapao Airport is Pretty Dead

Danderman123

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There's always a news story about government plans to invest billions of baht Real Soon Now. New terminals, high speed rail, that sort of thing.

But the reality is that UTP is sadly underused, just a handful of flights. Prior to expensive upgrades, they should try to use what already exists. No reason there aren't flights from Pattaya to Isaan.

Prior to Covid there was a direct flight to UK. I have flown from Khon Kaen but, alas, no longer. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There's always a news story about government plans to invest billions of baht Real Soon Now in UTP airport. New terminals, high speed rail, that sort of thing.

But the reality is that UTP is sadly underused, just a handful of flights. Prior to expensive upgrades, they should try to use what already exists. No reason there aren't flights from Pattaya to Isaan.

No customers, that’s why. If they could fill the aircraft they would. But just you and a couple of others every now and again won’t be enough. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When flights from Cheap to land at UTapao were available to UK they were on average 8,000 baht or £180 more expensive than going to Bangkok  terminals ,, as far as I was concerned that was not justified,, and a rip off

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

When flights from Cheap to land at UTapao were available to UK they were on average 8,000 baht or £180 more expensive than going to Bangkok  terminals ,, as far as I was concerned that was not justified,, and a rip off

Yes, and the cost of getting a taxi to and from U-Tapao isn't much less than the cost of getting one to and from Swampy. Plus Swampy has regular, cheap bus services from Pattaya (like the airport bus in Jomtien), while I'm not aware of any regular, cheap tourist buses going to U-Tapao (of course, that may be a chicken and egg situation, lol). Then for those of us who like to treat ourselves and fly in business, Swampy has some wonderful airline lounges which we're unlikely to see duplicated at U-Tapao as it will never have the volume of business traffic that Bangkok has, Eastern Economic Corridor or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

Yes, and the cost of getting a taxi to and from U-Tapao isn't much less than the cost of getting one to and from Swampy. Plus Swampy has regular, cheap bus services from Pattaya (like the airport bus in Jomtien), while I'm not aware of any regular, cheap tourist buses going to U-Tapao (of course, that may be a chicken and egg situation, lol). Then for those of us who like to treat ourselves and fly in business, Swampy has some wonderful airline lounges which we're unlikely to see duplicated at U-Tapao as it will never have the volume of business traffic that Bangkok has, Eastern Economic Corridor or not.

I pay Bolt 500 baht to go to U-Tapao, and with the new motorway, it's a short ride.

I pay 1000+ baht to go to Suvarnaphumi.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

There's always a news story about government plans to invest billions of baht Real Soon Now in UTP airport. New terminals, high speed rail, that sort of thing.

DEPENDS ON NUMBER of fliers to Issan

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I live in Issan and you couldn't temp me to fly to Pattaya if the fares were zero!

You couldn’t tempt me with either place. ????

But it’s a shame it’s so underused. Would take the strain off Suvarnabhumi if folks could go ‘directly’ to Pattaya. 

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You make the upgrades so you can pocket 10% corruption not to help some farangs....There would be no profit in using existing things.

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

There are still flights from Russia, but it's seasonal.

There is always a chance that flightstats(.com) misses charter flights.

But as written with this site nothing found.

And what deeper offseason for Pattaya can there be than now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Would take the strain off Suvarnabhumi if folks could go ‘directly’ to Pattaya. 

With all respect and not scaling down Pattaya but for Suvarnabhumi the Pattaya transit is not a huge junk. You would hardly notice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is not a major airport.

I go to CNX quite often I disagree with the time comparison with BKK.  The other day on the new highway that connects to the 7, it took me 34 minutes to get to Pattaya from UTP.  BKK is at least twice that. I pay 700 b private car.  Make sure to tell the driver to take the highway, not Sukhumvit.  Some will stupidity take Sukhumvit to save the 30 b toll fee.

It is under utilized,  but the EEC at some point will start to materialize and that airport will get busy.  The high speed train is many years away I bet.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Reminds me of the "Immigration Desk" at Khon Kaen airport. Yes there is one.

Very much so, and I used it regularly for all my Air Asia Fly-Thru flights to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Burma.

Very handy indeed - avoided the Immigration queues at DMK. The service at Khon Kaen was paid for by Air Asia for its "Fly-Thru" international passengers ONLY. Of interest to me, the desk was often manned by my local  "friendly" Immigration Officer. This was pre-pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1