Thai dentist saves patient’s life discovering lethal blood condition pre-tooth extraction

webfact

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The dentist noticed several unordinary blood spots on the patient’s arm before extracting a tooth, compelling the patient to take a blood test.

Get paid for the tooth extraction first then !!.... 

Good spot by the dentist, but if blood-clotting disorder (Thrombocytopenia) was suspected - this means the blood is ultimately too thin and won't clot until platelets fall out of suspension and cause unwanted clotting in veins / arteries and capillaries. 

So, with this 'bleed risk' I wonder why the dentist would go ahead with tooth extraction.

Well done for spotting the health risk this posed to the gentleman but.....a four year old with bad eyesight could have worked out there was something wrong with him

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good spot by the dentist, but if blood-clotting disorder (Thrombocytopenia) was suspected - this means the blood is ultimately too thin and won't clot until platelets fall out of suspension and cause unwanted clotting in veins / arteries and capillaries. 

So, with this 'bleed risk' I wonder why the dentist would go ahead with tooth extraction.

I don't think dentist did go ahead with the extraction. He was obviously well aware of the risk involved if he had. Why on earth would he proceed?

Dentists have to swear the same Hippocratic oath as doctors do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

I don't think dentist did go ahead with the extraction. He was obviously well aware of the risk involved if he had. Why on earth would he proceed?

Dentists have to swear the same Hippocratic oath as doctors do.

Agreed...  re-reading the report, it would appear the tooth extraction did not take place. 

As usual - instead of offering clarity, the waters are muddied by shoddy reporting.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The dentist noticed several unordinary blood spots on the patient’s arm before extracting a tooth, compelling the patient to take a blood test.

I think the report should be reading.... 'The dentist noticed several unordinary blood spots on the patient’s arm before while preparing to extract a tooth, compelling the patient to take a blood test'

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the report should be reading.... 'The dentist noticed several unordinary blood spots on the patient’s arm before while preparing to extract a tooth, compelling the patient to take a blood test'

In 'unordinary' a word?

Shouldn't it be extraordinary or unusual or abnormal.

20 hours ago, stoner said:

why had he not seen a doctor prior to the dentist ? looks quite serious on his arms and doubtful it happened overnight. 

Well a local can do this quite easily and probably cheaply...... I bet many Western men put off visiting a doctor though.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  re-reading the report, it would appear the tooth extraction did not take place. 

As usual - instead of offering clarity, the waters are muddied by shoddy reporting.

Yes, you're right, it would have made the report somewhat clearer wouldn't it. But do note that this wasn't ASEAN NOW's doing. They were just copy and pasting the article from Thaiger and one has to fair, English is not their first language.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

By the way is: ''In 'unordinary' a word" a correct sentence? 

It was supposed to be Is not In ...... predictive text or typo ....... who can say!

Hard to tell what you're typing when 3/4 of your phone screen is obscured by adverts and keyboard.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It was supposed to be Is not In ...... predictive text or typo ....... who can tell!

Hard to tell what you're typing when 2/3 of your phone screen is obscured by adverts.

Smartphone users beware the predictive text. ????I was trying to figure out how you hit 'n' instead of 's' on a keyboard.  I've got you now.

Have a nice day.