When do they increase the Elite visa prices?

On 7/3/2023 at 3:00 PM, BritTim said:

There is no pattern discernible on when changes are made to Thailand Elite memberships. At the current time, individuals who are only interested in the Easy Access visa that comes with an Elite membership have two rational options: five years for 600,000 baht and 20 years for 1,000,000 baht. If you buy the five year membership, current rules allow to to upgrade later to the 20-year membership by paying the difference of 400,000 baht (a sweet deal, in my opinion, that might well be withdrawn in the future).

I'm seriously looking at this past 62 now, here are my reasons:

I may well not reach 82. When the visa expires. If I do, overstay will be the least of my worries!

The classic retirement visa was once a no brainer until it was "adjusted" now you're technically, robbed of B400,000 for life, if you want to keep it. 

And it simply can't stay at B800,000 forever, with inflation.

I'm surprised it's hasn't jumped already! 

Besides, because of seasoning every year, you even need more than that, I bring in B600,000 a year, to cover any emergency and just living costs until the extension "can't  touch your own cash" rule is over, then there are the re-entry ripoff fees too. 

And showing up at immigration every year, more grumpy and less patient with the groundhog day BS they put us through.

The only thing is, can you trust them to keep their word for twenty years? No legal comeback here if they do the dirty! 

All being fair, this would certainly make sense, and buggy rides at Swampy means I'd get to not need a leg amputated catching a plane. 

Edited by chalawaan

38 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I'm seriously looking at this past 62 now, here are my reasons:

I may well not reach 82. When the visa expires. If I do, overstay will be the least of my worries!

The classic retirement visa was once a no brainer until it was "adjusted" now you're technically, robbed of B400,000 for life, if you want to keep it. 

And it simply can't stay at B800,000 forever, with inflation.

I'm surprised it's hasn't jumped already! 

Besides, because of seasoning every year, you even need more than that, I bring in B600,000 a year, to cover any emergency and just living costs until the extension "can't  touch your own cash" rule is over, then there are the re-entry ripoff fees too. 

And showing up at immigration every year, more grumpy and less patient with the groundhog day BS they put us through.

The only thing is, can you trust them to keep their word for twenty years? No legal comeback here if they do the dirty! 

All being fair, this would certainly make sense, and buggy rides at Swampy means I'd get to not need a leg amputated catching a plane. 

I tend to agree with what you wrote, especially the likely impermanence of the rules for retirement extensions. I disagree with your doubts over whether the Thailand Elite membership benefits would be honoured (at least, as far as the visa privileges are concerned). Continuing to honour the visas costs virtually nothing, and the reputation damage of repudiating the visas would be huge.

Many people will take the view that you choose whatever option seems best based on current conditions, and find another solution later if rules change. That tends to be my mindset: short term oriented. Those who are worriers might well decide (i) financial proof for a retirement visa might greatly increase and/or unobtainable health insurance become a requirement; (ii) current Thailand Elite options for new members that could be an alternative might be withdrawn; (iii) agents might no longer be able to help; and (iv) locking in a Thailand Elite membership now (especially 20 years) gives peace of mind for the foreseeable future. That is a pessimistic viewpoint (not one that I have taken) but it is not irrational.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 7:36 PM, G Rex said:

I have a Thai Elite visa.  I am living in Thailand. I am married to a Thai, but I chose not to have "Marriage Visa" - so I don't have to worry about all of the extension palaver with photos, bank balances etc.   I have a full 5 year Thai Car and a 5 year Motorcycle License.  I have bank accounts with 2 Thai banks.

I am not sure where you have gotten your information from - but I respectfully say that you are wrong.

The only thing I cannot do is work here.  No problem for me.

May I ask if you obtained the Elite whilst on a marriage visa or other extension?

I'm on a multi entry Non-O marriage as I'd rather do 90 day border bounces  than deal with the tyrrany of the marriage visa extensions.

Another thing about Elite making more and more sense due to my age and the upkeep costs of the Non-O is that fact that if my wife dies, I have to go back to a retirement visa. 

Are there any real drawbacks? 

It is unlimited residency for 20 years, and only 90 day reports needed, correct?

Edited by chalawaan

2 hours ago, chalawaan said:

It is unlimited residency for 20 years, and only 90 day reports needed, correct?

Each time you enter Thailand on an Elite Visa you will be given a 12 month permission to stay so if you don’t leave Thailand during those 12 months you will need to do the annual extension (TE can help facilitate this, no need to show financials, usual 1,900b Immigration Fee applies).

Also note that the 20 year visa is actually a 5 Year Visa which you/they renew 3 times. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 7/5/2023 at 5:30 PM, Karma80 said:

In fairness, your first drivers licence is usually a 2 year temporary one, and then the second is a full 5 year licence

The second, and subsequent, license is only for 5 years if you're on an non-immigrant visa. If you're on a tourist visa at the time of renewal, you only get 2 years.

The Elite visa is a type of tourist visa so technically you're only entitled to 2 years, unless the TE company have come to some other special arrangement with the DMV.

Personally having to go to the DMV every 2 years would be way preferable to having to go to immigration every year.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Each time you enter Thailand on an Elite Visa you will be given a 12 month permission to stay so if you don’t leave Thailand during those 12 months you will need to do the annual extension (TE can help facilitate this, no need to show financials, usual 1,900b Immigration Fee applies).

Also note that the 20 year visa is actually a 5 Year Visa which you/they renew 3 times. 

I cannot believe this! 

So basically, nothing changes apart from you're giving them more money? 

I thought they would leave me the hell alone after I bought my visa. 

THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT. 

What a waste of time and money, where are the actual benefits? 

Still annual extensions and still a charge. 

Do they make us get a re-entry permit too? 

I'll take my chances with the retirement cost going up. 

So angry about this! ????

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I cannot believe this! 

So basically, nothing changes apart from you're giving them more money? 

I thought they would leave me the hell alone after I bought my visa. 

THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT. 

What a waste of time and money, where are the actual benefits? 

Still annual extensions and still a charge. 

Do they make us get a re-entry permit too? 

I'll take my chances with the retirement cost going up. 

So angry about this! ????

It’s a Multi Re-Entry Visa so no need for a Re-Entry permit & if you leave the country at least once every 12 months you don’t need to worry about extensions. 

If you do have to do an extension is an absolute doddle (especially if you live somewhere where TE will do it for you). 

90 Day reports are very easy online nowadays (assuming your IMM Office accepts them) 

Other perks are Fast-Track & lounge access at the airport + if you get the 5 year (600K) version you get certain number of airport transfers + other perks (Golf, Spa etc… Not 100% sure as it’s been a while since I looked at it) 

The smart approach seems to be to pay the 600K for the 5 year visa for the additional perks & then pay the extra 400K for the extra 15 years towards the end of it. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 months visa eg retirement, marriage are disgraceful, and only temporary, whereby you have to re-apply, the next 12 months, shocking that authorities nicknamed one retirement, how can you retire, when every 12 months you have to re-apply, same with marriage, just absurd what the military/chinese backed regimes have been doing to foreigners for decades

The amount of vitirol towards Elite is just crazy, because you pay a large amount up front, but can stay without re-applying for 5,10,20,30 or lifetime, it's exactly what the retirement or marriage visas should have been for those people for many decades, retire/marriage should be like permanent residents

try looking at other countries permanent residence visas which are 5,10,20 years, costs are lot higher than Elite

it comes down to how much you value your peace of mind living in a country or if you can pay a large amount up front, that's not applicable to everyone, so it has financial restraints on many, on what they can afford, but at least its available that's a big plus to expats

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chalawaan said:

May I ask if you obtained the Elite whilst on a marriage visa or other extension?

I'm on a multi entry Non-O marriage as I'd rather do 90 day border bounces  than deal with the tyrrany of the marriage visa extensions.

Another thing about Elite making more and more sense due to my age and the upkeep costs of the Non-O is that fact that if my wife dies, I have to go back to a retirement visa. 

Are there any real drawbacks? 

Hi. I purchased my TEV whilst in Australia - because at the time (beginning of Covid fiasco) with border closures etc - it was the only way I could reenter Thailand.  Yes - you still need to do 90 day reports - but on-line makes this simple, and as mentioned before - if you do not leave the country you will have to do annual extensions.  I purchased a 5 year visa, so I will top up soon to get my additional 15 years.  I am happy to do this because it gives me greater security (!?!-in my mind anyway!) - and means I do not need to go through all of the retirement or marriage visa  ????????.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really don't see the point of this - you PAY (never getting the money back) 800k plus so you don't have to get a visa renewed every three months? If you under retirement age then yes I can see the point - but it's not even a work permit? What other advantages are there? I send 65k every month at least but it's not stuck in a a bank account somewhere - even it was I could always withdraw it. But this it seems is just throwing money away for avoiding a few hassles which if you're retired anyway you're going to have the time to do the quarterly renewals.