Workplace rights: Pregnant Thai nurse’s plea highlights urgent need for improvement

webfact

image.jpeg

In the online realm, a pregnant nurse’s outcry for workplace safety is causing a stir. Despite being eight months pregnant, the nurse is subjected to late afternoon shifts, highlighting the pressing need for workplace rights. She warned that if one falls silent, conditions exacerbate instead of improving. Her ordeal, posted today has amplified pleas for worker protection laws.

The nurse shared a picture of her pregnant self on Facebook, displaying her burgeoning baby bump. Accompanying the image, she posed a series of questions to reflect her distress: “Where is the safety of life when an eight-month pregnant woman is forced to work a late afternoon shift? Can a pregnant woman effectively manage duties when her stamina is dwindling?”

Her forceful statements sparked thoughtful discussions among the broader public, igniting talks on workplace rights in Thailand, a topic seldom discussed.

“I apologise for this outright rant, but I couldn’t contain it any more. Please tell me we have laws protecting workers,” she urged. “Sometimes, silence means acceptance of worsening conditions.” The heated post was shared widely and garnered many reactions from other social media users, who empathised and expressed solidarity with her predicament, reported KhaoSod.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/pregnant-thai-nurses-plea-highlights-urgent-need-for-improved-workplace-rights

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

What is an late afternoon shift time wise?

If she feel well I don't see a problem with light work. Of course she can't lift heavy things, but no problem taking someone blood, IF feeling well.

If she feel unwell, she should report as sick that day.

There are plenty of woman who can work till they get the baby and almost immediately after again....while others fell terrible most of the time.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

28 minutes ago, djayz said:

What century are you living in? It is simply unacceptable in this day and age to expect an eight month pregnant woman to work. Her well-being, and the well-being of her unborn child, is much more important. 

Is she not allowed to take some of her 98 days maternity leave under Thai Labour Law pre-natal if she chooses ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, djayz said:

What century are you living in? It is simply unacceptable in this day and age to expect an eight month pregnant woman to work. Her well-being, and the well-being of her unborn child, is much more important. 

if she wants to work and feel well?

If she feels unwell she should stay home.

You know how many people live.....not so comfortable at home as well.

Our accounting worked almost to the last day.....at home there 3 families living together, while in the office is a nice aircondition and rather silent.

being pregnant is not a disease....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, realfunster said:

Is she not allowed to take some of her 98 days maternity leave under Thai Labour Law pre-natal if she chooses ?

I wasn't commenting on her maternity leave, I was commenting on h90's reply that she "work till she get the baby" [sic].

5 hours ago, h90 said:

if she wants to work and feel well?

If she feels unwell she should stay home.

You know how many people live.....not so comfortable at home as well.

Our accounting worked almost to the last day.....at home there 3 families living together, while in the office is a nice aircondition and rather silent.

being pregnant is not a disease....

Who said it is a disease? You've completely lost me now. ????

• Haha 1

All is needed is a good HR Department and a sympathetic Manager.

Any Staff with any health concerns should then be able to get the appropriate advice and support without having to go to FB.

She may well have other issues with partner, family, money etc and needs some counseling?

FB should not be for workplace complaints, it tells me that something is missing!

People tend to use Social Media for poor service providers, eg Airlines etc and it makes little difference for large Companies/ Businesses.