Facebook owner Meta set to launch Twitter rival on Thursday

Social Media

image.png

Facebook owner Meta is launching its new app to rival Twitter and says it will go live on Thursday.

The app, which is called Threads and is available for pre-order on the Apple App Store, will be linked to Instagram.

Screengrabs show a dashboard that looks similar to Twitter. Meta describes Threads as a "text based conversation app".

The move is the latest in a rivalry between Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter owner Elon Musk.

Last month, the pair agreed to a physical fight, though it is unclear how serious the two men were about actually holding a bout.

"Thank goodness they're so sanely run", Mr Musk responded to a tweet about Threads, in an apparent fresh swipe at Mr Zuckerberg.

Meanwhile, Twitter has said that the popular user dashboard, TweetDeck will go behind a paywall in 30 days time.

The move is the latest push by Mr Musk as he tries to get users to sign up to Twitter's subscription service, Twitter Blue.

On Saturday, the multi-billionaire restricted the number of tweets users could see, citing extreme "data scraping".

It appears from Meta's Threads app that it will be a free service - and there will be no restrictions on how many posts a user can see.

"Threads is where communities come together to discuss everything from the topics you care about today to what'll be trending tomorrow" the description on the App Store says.

STORY

image.png

Is there any beginning to Mr Zuckerburgs innovation?  What an incredibly original idea and I am surprised no-one has thought of this kind of thing before.   It's even going to be free and I am sure I can trust Mr Zuckerburg not to use my personal data to make money from as he is such a philanthropist!  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, James105 said:

Is there any beginning to Mr Zuckerburgs innovation?  What an incredibly original idea and I am surprised no-one has thought of this kind of thing before.   It's even going to be free and I am sure I can trust Mr Zuckerburg not to use my personal data to make money from as he is such a philanthropist!  

But you can trust Twitter not to use your personal data?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

But you can trust Twitter not to use your personal data?

If you can find the part in my post where I mentioned Twitter then I will answer your question.

If you cannot please report yourself to the moderator for making an off topic post.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

If you can find the part in my post where I mentioned Twitter then I will answer your question.

If you cannot please report yourself to the moderator for making an off topic post.   

Here is the subject of this thread:

"Facebook owner Meta set to launch Twitter rival on Thursday"

I've taken the liberty of putting one word in boldface.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here is the subject of this thread:

"Facebook owner Meta set to launch Twitter rival on Thursday"

I've taken the liberty of putting one word in boldface.

Ok I'll answer your question then.  I have a twitter account but this account doesn't have any of my personal info on it and I barely use it.  Hope that helps.  

My original (sarcastic) point was that copying someone else's idea is hardly innovative and is just a cynical ploy to take advantage of the crying leftists who have become upset that Twitter is now a place where dissenting views are allowed, even if they come from the center or the right of center.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, James105 said:

Ok I'll answer your question then.  I have a twitter account but this account doesn't have any of my personal info on it and I barely use it.  Hope that helps.  

My original (sarcastic) point was that copying someone else's idea is hardly innovative and is just a cynical ploy to take advantage of the crying leftists who have become upset that Twitter is now a place where dissenting views are allowed, even if they come from the center or the right of center.   

Twitter was hardly Musks idea either, he just paid over the odds for someone else's brainchild. Now we have another serious contender on the market. That's how market forces work.

• Like 2

Just now, James105 said:

Well, I have a facebook account I hardly use, so I guess Facebook poses no problem, too. Anyone can cite their peculiar circumstances lessen or heighten a particular problem.  https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/feb/01/facebook-youtube-twitter-anti-conservative-claims-baseless-report-finds

Musk was being innovative when he bought Twitter?

And of course, you persist with the right wing falsehood like that dissenting views on Twitter weren't allowed.

Twitter briefly suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story. And the nonsense that it did so at the behest of government remains unsupported by any genuine evidence.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/08/politics/twitter-hearing-house-oversight/index.html

As for other issues:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/facebook-twitter-don-t-censor-conservatives-they-hire-promote-them-ncna1245308

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/feb/01/facebook-youtube-twitter-anti-conservative-claims-baseless-report-finds

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Twitter was hardly Musks idea either, he just paid over the odds for someone else's brainchild. Now we have another serious contender on the market. That's how market forces work.

At no point did I say that Musk invented Twitter. 

If you are happy to give Mr Zuckerburg more of your data to engage in what will undoubtably be a safe place to engage with same-minded souls who all receive their exact same talking points from their CNN overlords, then I hope you enjoy your time there.     

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Musk was being innovative when he bought Twitter?

And of course, you persist with the right wing falsehood like that dissenting views on Twitter weren't allowed.

Twitter briefly suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story.

Twitter briefly suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story until just after the closely fought election, which I am sure was just a coincidence.

Anyway, there are other topics about Twitter, this topic is about threadspaceagram or whatever it is called.   

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

Twitter briefly suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story until just after the closely fought election, which I am sure was just a coincidence.

Nor did you criticize Musk for lack of originality.

As for this comment of yours...

"Twitter briefly suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story until just after the closely fought election, which I am sure was just a coincidence."

...it's just another proof that some people live in an alternative information universe:

The date of the following story is Oct 17, 2020:

"After initially blocking people from sharing links to the story Wednesday, on Friday Twitter was letting its users to post the link. It served as demonstration of how quickly things can change when it comes to social media, misinformation and the coming U.S. election as companies try to navigate unprecedented times."

https://apnews.com/article/business-media-social-media-censorship-ec529ef85c1e72cefe0ae9450e118b9c

Just now, placeholder said:

Nor did you criticize Musk for lack of originality.

Why would I, he isn't releasing a new platform that is a copy of another, he just bought the original one.   I don't get why you keep bringing Musk up when I keep not mentioning him.   

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

Why would I, he isn't releasing a new platform that is a copy of another, he just bought the original one.   I don't get why you keep bringing Musk up when I keep not mentioning him.   

Because you raised the issue of exploiting personal data.

33 minutes ago, James105 said:

If you are happy to give Mr Zuckerburg more of your data to engage in what will undoubtably be a safe place to engage with same-minded souls who all receive their exact same talking points from their CNN overlords, then I hope you enjoy your time there.     

At no point did I claim you did claim Musk invented twitter. 

I did give a comparison though with your criticism of Mark as a discussion point. 

CNN overloads eh.......lol 

2 hours ago, James105 said:

Come James, lighten up, competition is a good thing.

Unless of course it’s competition against the Billionaire ‘Space Karen’ who you thought was going to champion the fight against those you disagree with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James105 said:

He didn’t just buy’ the original, he paid way over the price to buy Twitter and he used a large wad of money belonging to a Saudi Arabian Prince to do so.

Now his/their investment has a competitor on the horizon.

Free market loving right-wingers are struggling with how to respond while keeping all their credibility intact.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He didn’t just buy’ the original, he paid way over the price to buy Twitter

He is rich, Mark is rich. They just use you guys who use their platforms for PR and bigger picture. You are the pawns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James105 said:

Anyway, there are other topics about Twitter, this topic is about threadspaceagram or whatever it is called.   

I think you mean Giuliani waited too long before giving the laptop story to the New York Post.  No respectable news or law enforcement agency would release the story without first verifying it, which meant the desired October surprise didn't happen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I think you mean Giuliani waited too long before giving the laptop story to the New York Post.  No respectable news or law enforcement agency would release the story without first verifying it, which meant the desired October surprise didn't happen.

Well, Twitter delayed the story by about 36 hours. James 105's claim that Twitter delayed the ban until after the election was utterly false. Happily, he openly acknowledged his error...just kidding.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

The twitter ban was used as an excuse by thoroughly dishonest media companies to falsely claim without evidence that the laptop was Russian disinfo and thus forbid coverage for YEARS. When did you accept it was real? After 36 hours?

I accepted it was real when the information was properly vetted. Not at the first jump which is what you do with virtually any piece of alleged evidence against Joe Biden. ANd even now you can't even get your facts straight. Tell me, which major media companies used the Twitter ban as an excuse to claim that the laptop was Russia disinfo and to forbid coverage for years. Stop making things up.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

12 million on first day. Great start to some real competition to twitter.

Earlier, Mr Zuckerberg said keeping the platform "friendly... will ultimately be the key to its success".

But Mr Musk responded: "It is infinitely preferable to be attacked by strangers on Twitter, than indulge in the false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram."

When asked on Threads whether the app will be "bigger than Twitter", Mr Zuckerberg said: "It'll take some time, but I think there should be a public conversations app with 1 billion+ people on it.

"Twitter has had the opportunity to do this but hasn't nailed it. Hopefully we will."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66112648

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 3:59 PM, placeholder said:

I accepted it was real when the information was properly vetted. Not at the first jump which is what you do with virtually any piece of alleged evidence against Joe Biden. ANd even now you can't even get your facts straight. Tell me, which major media companies used the Twitter ban as an excuse to claim that the laptop was Russia disinfo and to forbid coverage for years. Stop making things up.

"Tell me, which major media companies used the Twitter ban as an excuse to claim that the laptop was Russia disinfo and to forbid coverage for years. Stop making things up."

? Seriously. This is a new low in dishonest posting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

"Tell me, which major media companies used the Twitter ban as an excuse to claim that the laptop was Russia disinfo and to forbid coverage for years. Stop making things up."

? Seriously. This is a new low in dishonest posting.

I don't know if your post is a new low in dishonest posting but it certainly among them. I've challenged you in the past to name the major media companies that claimed that the laptop was Russian disinformation. Can you name those companies? Can you name the companies that cited Twitter's brief hold as a reason not to unquestioningly report this news? You've got nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1