World's most boring cities

bignok

Brisbane - agree. Philadelphia - talking heads use the term "City of Brotherly Love" with barely concealed sarcasm. Jakarta is not a city, it's 50-odd villages stitched together over a swamp.

• Like 1

I should have thought Canberra would get a mention (though perhaps it's too small to qualify).

I spent 36 years of my life there and it's hard to beat for petit bourgeois comfort and safety (yawn).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Brisbane's not bad. Bigger and cooler than it was before. Gold coast and Sunshine Coast nearby. Seems good during a cold Melbourne winter. 

Anyone who thinks Brisbane is boring with Melbourne on his top most exciting cities list doesn't have a clue. He hasn't even mentioned Manila as one of the ugliest cities. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Brisbane - agree...

Whenever Brisbane gets mentioned in surveys like this, reminds me of Koala Sprint off Midnight Oil's Head Injuries album. "Brisbane, where's Brisbane".

Seem to remember their manager at the time had a map of AUS with Queensland the same colour of the sea, apart from a small island called Cairns!

#1 Bore-ama on that list, Agra, is a bit of a ringer. It's like saying that the area surrounding The Grand Canyon is boring. No one is going to either place for the night life. They're there to see The Big Thing. And I rate the Agra Big Thing as the #2  Big Thing I've seen in my life behind The Grand Canyon.

I expated first in Mex City, the nice parts of which reminded me of Paris with tropical plants. Tremendous intellectuality, real bookstores. Raw bar restaurants at about half US prices. Some of the best fusion-ish Jap food I've ever had, at 3* prices. Don't love their Freida obsession and Aztec art puts me to sleep. But that's down to taste. Mexico punches well above its weight, art-wise. Lots of innovative modern buildings.

'Can't fault Charlotte NC being on the the boring-list. It's a suburb in search of a downtown. Downtown Charlotte would take maybe 10 minutes to traverse. Upside: It's between more alive places called Atlanta and Nashville. So you can catch big acts like Bob Dylan on a Wednesday night when they tour in between them. Asheville is another NC city that bands will play in at a loss just to revel in the rich hippie vibe.

57 minutes ago, RayWright said:

reminds me of Koala Sprint off Midnight Oil's Head Injuries album.

I was drinking with an Aussie oldie in Vientiane tonight and we went down a Midnight Oil conversational rabbit hole. She knew Amphette from The Divynals.

We were eating quail and 48 hour marinated duck right off the grill in a falling down, jungle-ish shack right in the middle of downtown and quaffing dollar dark Beer Lao's.

Not all that boring. Maybe a tenner per person all in.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Whenever Brisbane gets mentioned in surveys like this, reminds me of Koala Sprint off Midnight Oil's Head Injuries album. "Brisbane, where's Brisbane".

Seem to remember their manager at the time had a map of AUS with Queensland the same colour of the sea, apart from a small island called Cairns!

Since when is Cairns an island?

3 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I was drinking with an Aussie oldie in Vientiane tonight and we went down a Midnight Oil conversational rabbit hole. She knew Amphette from The Divynals...

Remember doing a gig on the Gold Coast with the Divinyls, during their "I Touch Myself" tour. The venue was quite modern, and whoever designed the stage got inspiration from Selina's in Sydney, as the stage was about 7 feet high, but was triangular shaped in the back corner. Consequently Chrissy nearly fell off on a number of occasions. 

So a "travel coach" does a most boring cities article and gets a free ad on asean to try and sell his travel coach services....got it.

Quick let me write a "how to get laid in Thailand" article and maybe i can also get a free ad and  sell condoms ??

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pomchop said:

So a "travel coach" does a most boring cities article and gets a free ad on asean to try and sell his travel coach services....got it.

Quick let me write a "how to get laid in Thailand" article and maybe i can also get a free ad and  sell condoms ??

Get many clicks in Pattaya. 

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Brisbane - agree. Philadelphia - talking heads use the term "City of Brotherly Love" with barely concealed sarcasm. Jakarta is not a city, it's 50-odd villages stitched together over a swamp.

If Philly, PA, USA, it's a great small city.  Was 25 yrs ago ????

12 hours ago, RayWright said:

Remember doing a gig on the Gold Coast with the Divinyls, during their "I Touch Myself" tour. The venue was quite modern, and whoever designed the stage got inspiration from Selina's in Sydney, as the stage was about 7 feet high, but was triangular shaped in the back corner. Consequently Chrissy nearly fell off on a number of occasions. 

Well did she often?

15 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I was drinking with an Aussie oldie in Vientiane tonight and we went down a Midnight Oil conversational rabbit hole. She knew Amphette from The Divynals.

We were eating quail and 48 hour marinated duck right off the grill in a falling down, jungle-ish shack right in the middle of downtown and quaffing dollar dark Beer Lao's.

Not all that boring. Maybe a tenner per person all in.

Midnight Oil talk. Not my idea of fun.

17 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Anyone who thinks Brisbane is boring with Melbourne on his top most exciting cities list doesn't have a clue. He hasn't even mentioned Manila as one of the ugliest cities. 

Both cities are pretty lame but Melbourne has great sport.

18 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Brisbane's not bad. Bigger and cooler than it was before. Gold coast and Sunshine Coast nearby. Seems good during a cold Melbourne winter. 

Nearly everything shuts at 8pm or 9pm in those places.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kwaibill said:

I think that people who are easily bored may also be intellectually stunted. I can always find something I have never experienced before.

What have you done new in the past week?

• Haha 1