Trump’s dominance of GOP field has America bracing for a toxic campaign

Social Media

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, do you think it would have been better to let slave owners get full congressional representation for every slave they owned rather than only 3/5? 

They should have gotten no representation for the slaves. Your lack of knowledge on this is stunning. 

Nothing on votes for women or allowing slavery?  You think slavery should have been legitimized in the US Constitution?  You praise the founding fathers for doing so?  Your lack of ethics is stunning.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Nothing on votes for women or allowing slavery?  You think slavery should have been legitimized in the US Constitution?  You praise the founding fathers for doing so?  Your lack of ethics is stunning.

I do not believe slavery was legitimized in the US Constitution. 

Was it common for women to vote in other countries in the 1700s? 

Was it common for slavery to be illegal in other countries in the 1700s? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not believe slavery was legitimized in the US Constitution. 

Was it common for women to vote in other countries in the 1700s? 

Was it common for slavery to be illegal in other countries in the 1700s?

And you accuse me of a stunning lack of knowledge about the Constitution.

"Although the United States Constitution did not use the words "slave" or "slavery", it explicitly protected American slavery in at least five articles and indirectly protected the institution elsewhere in the document."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_and_the_United_States_Constitution

It was not common for anyone to vote in other countries in the 1700's.

Slavery was legal in colonies while illegal in most of Europe in the 1700's.  It was also illegal in many of the 13 states.

All that aside, it is clear that what was accepted in the 18th century is not acceptable now.  The US Constitution has had to adapt to the evolving needs of the country.  The fact that two of the worst Presidents in US history were elected this century in spite of losing the popular vote is evidence that it's time to get rid of the outdated artifact of the Electoral College.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Lot of red states are already passing ridiculous backward laws, like book bans, ‘don’t say gay’, and the latest gem in the great state of Florida, where teachers are now required by law that if they teach about slavery, they have to add that slaves were learning valuable skills. The idiocy of those right wing anti-woke warriors knows no bounds. 

It's all about racism. Teach anything except the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This mirrors a propaganda tactic of the Kremlin.

Truth is not knowable. 

May as well not even try. 

in the movie Shooter, the crooked senator says " the truth is what I say it is" 

Like that?

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

And you accuse me of a stunning lack of knowledge about the Constitution.

"Although the United States Constitution did not use the words "slave" or "slavery", it explicitly protected American slavery in at least five articles and indirectly protected the institution elsewhere in the document."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_and_the_United_States_Constitution

So why do you not explain it? I don't doubt I can find numerous links that will pretend to support any leftist position, but I can never find a leftist (or a "centrist" such as yourself) that can ever actually explain anything. 

It was not common for anyone to vote in other countries in the 1700's.

Okay, 1800s 

Slavery was legal in colonies while illegal in most of Europe in the 1700's.  It was also illegal in many of the 13 states.

I was legal in Briton until 1834, France until 1848, Sweden 1847, Denmark 1848 etc. 

Yes, abolishing slavery in the US was difficult, and it took the Republicans until 1865 to get it done. 

All that aside, it is clear that what was accepted in the 18th century is not acceptable now.  The US Constitution has had to adapt to the evolving needs of the country.  The fact that two of the worst Presidents in US history were elected this century in spite of losing the popular vote is evidence that it's time to get rid of the outdated artifact of the Electoral College.

Obama and Biden both won the popular vote. 

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Who decides the truth?

A board of educators. Curricula are generally set by consensus among educators? No one person can ever decide what is truth and what is lies. That's why slogans like "fake news" are meaningless and fact checking is meaningful.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

A board of educators. Curricula are generally set by consensus among educators? No one person can ever decide what is truth and what is lies. That's why slogans like "fake news" are meaningless and fact checking is meaningful.

That's hilarious. Who does the fact checking? Not STEM majors....

• Like 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

That's hilarious. Who does the fact checking? Not STEM majors....

Anybody who wants to do some fact checking. They aren't immune to getting called out either. In the end, consensus is always the truth if there are sufficient people from diverse sources doing the checking.

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So why do you not explain it? I don't doubt I can find numerous links that will pretend to support any leftist position, but I can never find a leftist (or a "centrist" such as yourself) that can ever actually explain anything. 

Okay, 1800s 

I was legal in Briton until 1834, France until 1848, Sweden 1847, Denmark 1848 etc. 

Yes, abolishing slavery in the US was difficult, and it took the Republicans until 1865 to get it done. 

Obama and Biden both won the popular vote. 

What are you confused about?  The original US Constitution allowed slavery, denied women and many others the vote, and used to Electoral College to keep those who were allowed to vote from electing anyone the those that considered themselves the elite of society from electing anyone these self-proclaimed elites considered unacceptable.

Fortunately the Constitution allowed for change.  Slavery was abolished and women given the vote.  The states changed the rules on elections so the Electoral College no longer thwarts the stated will of the states' voters, but the smaller states did not give up their disproportionate influence in Presidential elections and the Senate.  This has resulted in the disastrous Presidencies of W. Bush and Trump. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, heybruce said:

There you go, retreating from your claim about the founding fathers.

No... the founding fathers had it right when they set up the electoral process... which is the topic... I would be glad to discuss your diversions one at a time just start the topic that you choose to discuss

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Galileo needed some fact checkers then.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

Are you kidding?on this particular subject about whitewashing slavery?it’s a crime what DeSantis is trying to do and it’s obviously a troll no more no less 

I don't know about whitewashing, but slavery is a deep subject. Much more to it than bad white man kept slaves which I'm sure many want to limit the teaching.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I don't know about whitewashing, but slavery is a deep subject. Much more to it than bad white man kept slaves which I'm sure many want to limit the teaching.

I strongly disagree to face our history is nessary to moving forward and grow towards a more egalitarian nation lying about it and sweeping it under the rug stops growth change and creates a deep festering animus it is a recipe for ruin

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

I strongly disagree to face our history is nessary to moving forward and grow towards a more egalitarian nation lying about it and sweeping it under the rug stops growth change and creates a deep festering animus it is a recipe for ruin

But to put the country's history of slavery into context you need to teach about slavery from the beginning of time. About the Black slave owners in the New World.

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I learned about how terrible slavery was in grade school, so I'm not sure what you're on about with whitewashing. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I learned about how terrible slavery was in grade school, so I'm not sure what you're on about with whitewashing. 

The question is what will kids in Florida learn about it? That slavery was really a vocational training program? With really strict mandatory attendance rules?

Edited by placeholder
  • Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

But to put the country's history of slavery into context you need to teach about slavery from the beginning of time. About the Black slave owners in the New World.

No, the only slavery that matters is US slavery. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

DeSantis is washing it down in the Florida school system were would you be if it was illegal to teach the truth about it?ignorant that’s were that’s not good especially on something as evil and vile as that it needs to be understood so more healing and understanding can take place

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

The question is what will kids in Florida learn about it? That slavery was really a vocational training program? With really strict mandatory attendance rules?

What's next from maga fascist DeSantis?

That holocaust survivors learned useful skills?

You almost couldn't make up this slavery was good vocational training absurdity, but heck, it's real.

Personally I think DeSantis has lost the plot and now has no chance of being nominated.

So someone else who isn't maga could step in but probably not. 

• Thumbs Up 1