Flat Earth (flight routes)

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

several famous stars have possibly faked their deaths.

1 - it could be a publicity stunt. the artist becomes more of a legend.

2 - it gives the artist a chance to relax and live a normal life outside the public eye. maybe they're sick of being famous and want out

jim morrison - no autopsy

elvis - his middle name is misspelled on his gravestone

david bowie - released a song called Lazarus where he plays a dead guy in the video .. and then he died soon after the video came out. 

If they can fake it with Epstein why not with Elvis?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I looked one of them up on skyscanner.

Qatar Airways QR51011 Rio de Janeiro to Sao Paulo

QR780 Sao Paulo to Doha

then Doha to Dubai ... Dubai to Colombo ... flight numbers are all there.

Not the most "optimal" flight path. 

The network planners at QR or any other airline have access to data that can tell them with high confidence how many passengers travel per day, week, month, between GIG and CMB airport. Also cargo tonnages.

There is no optimal non-stop flight path between city pairs that are not commercially viable but you know that already so dooon't panic or fly into the ice-wall maybe just crack another large Chang.

Edited by Captain Monday

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

There is no optimal non-stop flight path between city pairs that are not commercially viable

could be.

but in some cases, the detour makes little sense and there seems to be better routes that would be commercially viable.

let's just leave it at that.

and ... watch out for that ice wall. 

29 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

could be.

but in some cases, the detour makes little sense and there seems to be better routes that would be commercially viable.

let's just leave it at that.

and ... watch out for that ice wall. 

In what cases? Actually if Elon or another billionaire wants to fund the journey the great circle route is optimal but pilots and dispatchers also have to consider winds, weather,  overflight permits, availability of alternate emergency landing airports,  etc. Not as long as LAX-SIN sure can do it with a B787 A350, or maybe on of the new Gulfstreams

map.gif

Edited by Captain Monday

20 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

In what cases?

auckland to lima, peru going through LA ...

distance from auckland to LA on a globe map is 10,490 KM 

distance from auckland directly to Lima on a globe map is 10,762 KM

It's impossible to fly across the ocean directly to Lima? why not? wind currents? the bermuda triangle will suck the plane down? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

auckland to lima, peru going through LA ...

distance from auckland to LA on a globe map is 10,490 KM 

distance from auckland directly to Lima on a globe map is 10,762 KM

It's impossible to fly across the ocean directly to Lima? why not? wind currents? the bermuda triangle will suck the plane down? 

First ask yourself again really.  How many people per day fly between New Zealand and Peru? I really do not know. Say it is 10. How long do you think Air New Zealand or LATAM network planners will keep their jobs burning holes in the sky with near empty B787 or 777 when the equipment  could be more profitably used on other routes? Carrying pallets of cut flowers one way. Do Peruvians like fresh lamb shanks and those little butter pats ?

It is not impossible. It is about the same distance as LAX-Taipei Get on to great circle mapper. It is a great old site. Here is the nearest possible path between AKL- LIM using 240 minutes etops rules which is only allowed in polar regions and south Pacific as far as I know of. The dark zones are no fly areas where if plane lost an engine it would not be able to reach a suitable diversion airport even under perfect conditions. 

If you think azimuthal projections are actual "flat earth" maps then there is no great circle and don't bother. Also all the planes flying US to Australia are actually flying north past Canada and Alaska at first and all the windows must be magic tv screens because anyone could look out and see for themselves!

http://www.gcmap.com

map-1.gif

Edited by Captain Monday

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

How many people per day fly between New Zealand and Peru? I really do not know. Say it is 10.

pop of new zealand: 5.1 million

pop of australia (close to nz for connecting flight): 25.7 million

pop of south america: 422 million (maybe half cant afford to fly to new zealand)

with that population, you cant have 1 direct flight per week with a hub on each continent? 

what about flying to southeast asia first? 

i don't know. i guess it's possible there aren't enough people. 

the other thing is ... you're a pilot right?

so what do you see when you fly? I bet all you see if flatness.

but you could argue that you are not high enough to see the curvature of the earth.

but that would require physics to determine how high you need to be to see the curvature.

maybe GammaGobulin can chime in since he has a post-doctorate in Physics. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

pop of south america: 422 million (maybe half cant afford to fly to new zealand)

with that population, you cant have 1 direct flight per week with a hub on each continent? 

Everything now is about alliances, code shares,  and big hubs.

I don't have the marketing data but one thing airlines really don't like to mount a flight less than 3 or 4 times a week because that put the air crews  on free vacation sitting in hotels for days and not useable.  They

use their most valuable equipment/planes) and personnel as efficiently as possible. Mostly flights  full with lots of business class passenger and cargo,  codeshared with partners and pilots and flight attendant flying full schedules.

What do you mean "flying to SE Asia first". I guess air Canada started YVR-BKK last year but there have  been no-nonstop flights from North America to Thailand for years. Even if full it Thailand is a money loser because there is not enough business class or they can make more flying somewhere else. 

31 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

but you could argue that you are not high enough to see the curvature of the earth.

but that would require physics to determine how high you need to be to see the curvature.

Why do you think I see "flatness"? I see the horizon.  You call it a "curve".  If it was flat why then from 3000 feet I can only see maximum about twenty miles and from 35,000 feet can see beacon lights on an island I 200 plus miles away. It is simple geometry. It is round dude.

Do you really think an azimuthal projection is a flat earth map? One of my best friends does.

Edited by Captain Monday

6 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Do you really think an azimuthal projection is a flat earth map?

not exactly sure about the maps, but in the examples given, the flights cut across perfectly. ie LA is on the path to Lima compared to the globe view ... but I don't know enough about the accuracy of those maps. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Why do you think I see "flatness"? I see the horizon.  You call it a "curve".  If it was flat why then from 3000 feet I can only see maximum about twenty miles and from 35,000 feet can see beacon lights on an island I 200 plus miles away. It is simple geometry. It is round dude.

actually, a horizon implies flatness. 

at a certain height (not sure what that is), you should literally be able to see the earth curvature, NOT a horizon. 

so we need a physicist to tell us what that height would be. it requires complex physics, which is above my head. 

the difference between 3000 feet and 35,000 feet is because the perspective of the horizon changes with altitude. but it's still a horizon, which implies flatness. 

you're seeing a flat earth. you're not seeing a globe. but it could be because the altitude is not high enough.

the logistics part ... could be ... could have to do with finances, managing staff etc ... 

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2023 at 8:10 AM, robblok said:

True statement however right now there is enough proof that the earth is round that is no longer something that is debated in science but accepted as fact. Those who still dont accept this are just oddballs (and that is stating it mildly)

One conspiracy's as good as the next.

15 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

actually, a horizon implies flatness. 

at a certain height (not sure what that is), you should literally be able to see the earth curvature, NOT a horizon. 

so we need a physicist to tell us what that height would be. it requires complex physics, which is above my head. 

the difference between 3000 feet and 35,000 feet is because the perspective of the horizon changes with altitude. but it's still a horizon, which implies flatness. 

you're seeing a flat earth. you're not seeing a globe. but it could be because the altitude is not high enough.

the logistics part ... could be ... could have to do with finances, managing staff etc ... 

I’m not rehashing the perspective rubbish wit you tonite. Nothing to do with any optical principle or limitation of human vision. The same geometry explains the line of limitation of VHF radios and magnetic heading changes whilst proceeding on flight plans.

Time for some seafood then maybe later snatch. Bye for now. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 2:07 PM, save the frogs said:

I think Save the Frogs and Gammaglobuline are the same person myself.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/7/2023 at 12:58 PM, stoner said:

they also believed that bacteria and viruses were evil spirits within the body. 

Well a very long time ago my famiy was the first in our street to get a fridge, my grandmother scolded my parents for wasting money on something that's just a fad that will never last.

Nice video.  Another anomoly.  I wonder why they don't call airplanes airglobes or airballs?  A plane is defined as a level, flat surface.

It's funny watching the responses from those blindly trusting science unable to form a cogent thought by themselves.

6 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

Nice video.  Another anomoly.  I wonder why they don't call airplanes airglobes or airballs?  A plane is defined as a level, flat surface.

It's funny watching the responses from those blindly trusting science unable to form a cogent thought by themselves.

Mark you got nothing :cheesy:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I wonder why they don't call airplanes airglobes or airballs? 

the word planet sounds a lot like someone put a t at the end of plane.

but the explanation given is that it's just a coincidence that the words are similar. 

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-word-Plane-and-Planet-so-similar-but-mean-absolutely-the-opposite-of-each-other

On 7/8/2023 at 2:48 AM, Captain Monday said:

map.gif

I took Malaysian Airlines from Kuala Lumpur  to Buenos Aires (a bit south of GIG on this map). with a stopover in Capetown, South Africa.  The story going around was that a previous Malaysian PM (the one that ruled for 20+ years) owned a piece of Argentina, which is why the flight existed.  Took about 24 hours total.

I met someone who said she flew from BA to Oz on Argentina's airline, had to change planes on the west coast of SA (Santiago or Lima, can't recall) with a stop in Aukland.  When she told me this I thought she was saying "Oakland" which is near San Francisco in the US -- was straining my brain trying to figure the logic of that.

When it was time to leave I was hoping to get back to SEA via a Pacific route (in 2011) but all I could find at that time was via Los Angeles, California.

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

this site shows all flights around the world in real-time.

there are no flights cutting across the south atlantic ocean ever.

https://www.flightradar24.com/8.73,1.53/2

No flights across the South Atlantic? Nonsense. JUL 10 01:49 ZULU time. I'm not surprised if"the Earth is flat"????  have to give you a grammar school geography lesson but do you perhaps mean the great Southern Ocean that encircles the globe all around the continent of Antarctica?

There are very few flights to Antarctica other than the ones that bring people to bases. Airlines don't cross the Antarctic continent  because there is no economic reason to do so and no suitable alternate airports for thousands of miles that can be used in emergencies. But you know all that.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 10.50.27.png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 10.49.26.png

Edited by Captain Monday

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

I took Malaysian Airlines from Kuala Lumpur  to Buenos Aires (a bit south of GIG on this map). with a stopover in Capetown, South Africa.  The story going around was that a previous Malaysian PM (the one that ruled for 20+ years) owned a piece of Argentina, which is why the flight existed.  Took about 24 hours total.

I met someone who said she flew from BA to Oz on Argentina's airline, had to change planes on the west coast of SA (Santiago or Lima, can't recall) with a stop in Aukland.  When she told me this I thought she was saying "Oakland" which is near San Francisco in the US -- was straining my brain trying to figure the logic of that.

When it was time to leave I was hoping to get back to SEA via a Pacific route (in 2011) but all I could find at that time was via Los Angeles, California.

Official airline and third party websites will sell all kinds of ITINERARIES. Some are expensive some are cheap some involve long layovers, some are convenient, some are not. But it has nothing to do with a fictional so-called "flat earth"

During covid people got burned actually for example getting routed thru countires they could not get a visa to enter.  Example requiring a bus between Narita and Haneda airports in Tokyo. Perfectly fine if you are a resident of Japan or Japanese. If not denied boarding and likely no refund. 

I had to talk a friend out of one that simpley required terminal change at Narita airport. He wouldn't believe me.

Edited by Captain Monday