Golf dreams dashed: Thailand’s rising star disqualified from US Women’s Open after 5-hole fiasco

snoop1130

1 hour ago, topt said:

As others have mentioned It does not say they received the penalties separately as it reads that they had infringed multiple times before they were told. Again as reported in the article the same thing happened to a guy on the Korn Ferry tour.

IMO if that is the case, it shrieks of poor organization by officialdom.

I'm reminded of the Lee Trevino quote: " When I am too old to play golf, I'm going to get a navy jacket and a bottle of dandruff, and become a USGA rules official".

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO if that is the case, it shrieks of poor organization by officialdom.

Why blame officialdom?

Exact same thing happened on KF tour in the last 2 weeks - 

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/hard-swallow-pro-booted-korn-ferry-confusion/

The player concerned responded to a tweet - 

“Sadly, this is me,” he wrote. “For some reason I thought they had changed the rule already on the KFT. Plus they allow in literally all other pro events besides KFT and PGA. Bottomline, I should have known, and its completely on me. Hard to swallow but you have to. I’ll be back in no time”

This guy publicly took responsibility for "his" mistake. 

1 hour ago, topt said:

Why blame officialdom?

Exact same thing happened on KF tour in the last 2 weeks - 

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/hard-swallow-pro-booted-korn-ferry-confusion/

The player concerned responded to a tweet - 

This guy publicly took responsibility for "his" mistake. 

Because the first time a breach of rule is found, it should be brought to the player's attention. Immediately. Having penalties accrue is harsh and unconscionable.

If you are saying officials don't make mistakes, I beg to differ.

IIRC the saying goes " Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of the wise".

Confusion would be avoided if rangefinders were allowed for all events, or banned entirely. Who else is there to blame for that clusterf### except officialdom?

Edited by Lacessit

On 7/8/2023 at 6:54 PM, Tropposurfer said:

It appears she was warned once (2 stroke penalty) then second time which resulted in her disqualification.

The first time maybe an oops on her and caddies part, the second time, would to me, appear to be a deliberate act of cheating.

How would one be penalised 2 strokes and not know that the penalty was for using such a device and it can't be used again? This lass is an international golfer and surely has at least some English so the thing about not understanding don't fly with me.

As an addict golfer, and competing in club and other amateur tournaments I would suggest using any range device in a tournament is just not on and no competitive entity should allow it, male of female entity.

I love my finder as an amateur but having said that I still enjoy eyeing my distance and subsequent club selection to keep my eye and distance judgement sharp.

There are a few other2 stroke no no's I'm aware of such as hitting a removed flag (lying on the ground) when putting, hitting another players ball when putting, not using a ball marker and lifting the ball, playing off different tee markers in a round or outside the markers etc.

There is quite a good handful of 2 stroke penalty rules.

She did not receive any prior warning or receive a 2 stroke penalty after the first or second use, and her scorecard indicates that as she had was level par when the rules official reached her. The tournament rules officials did NOT become aware of the infringements until after the 3rd use by her caddy and as such she was dq'd immediately upon a rules official being made aware of the tournament rules infringement with regards to the use of the rangefinder and catching up with her on the 5th hole.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:56 AM, jacko45k said:

South Korean and Chinese players seem to have handled it......

Seems to becooming more common..and not just Thai players. 

https://golf.com/news/lydia-ko-7-penalty-strokes/?fbclid=IwAR0Y30wHHY_N_EUL0sHLpgZXx0SkilMuwJoeU_sRVMoB0jac_LpOcBKLUxg

Would the Thai knockers like to retract their statments?

PH

2 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Seems to becooming more common..and not just Thai players. 

https://golf.com/news/lydia-ko-7-penalty-strokes/?fbclid=IwAR0Y30wHHY_N_EUL0sHLpgZXx0SkilMuwJoeU_sRVMoB0jac_LpOcBKLUxg

PH

probably helps if u speak english and went to school in NZ...but her caddy??

Lydia Ko speaks English & Korean. Lydia Ko's School was Pinehurst School, Auckland, New Zealand.

5 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Nah, perhaps just a woman thing!

Golf is being made overly complicated for such a dumb game....

Edited by jacko45k