The best time to come to Thailand for a holiday – and when is the rainy season ?

image.png

It's vital to take into account an age-old hindrance to vacationers' enjoyment while arranging a trip to the Land of Smiles to explore jungles, unwind on beaches, and engage in thrilling water sports. This hindrance is the weather. Holiday hotspots from Bangkok to Koh Samui benefit from the best weather windows, which provide Thailand's visitors with mostly sunny sky.

Although Thailand enjoys year-round moderate weather and pleasant average temperatures, the typically tropical environment is not without its share of wind, rain, and humidity.

Wet (ruedu fon), cool (ruedu nao), and hot (ruedu ron), which determine peak and off-peak tourist seasons, respectively, and create shoulder seasons in between, are three main seasons that divide the year.

Visitors should be aware of the various climates and the dreaded monsoon season that await them in the south Asian tourist destination as temperatures naturally vary throughout Thailand's vast regions from north to south and coast to coast. The monsoon season frequently forces Thai isles to close.

When is it? July to October

The peak of the UK summer vacation is when Thailand's "monsoon" season, which lasts for about four months, occurs. On most days, rain falls frequently but seldom in brief spurts, with the highest amounts occurring in September and October. Visitors to Thailand during the wettest months of the year may experience difficult weather conditions due to high humidity and onshore winds from the southwest monsoon over the Indian Ocean (unless you are a serious surfer).

Cool Season: ‘Ruedu Nao’

When is it? November to February

Intense rains is relieved from November through February by cool, dry weather. The northeast monsoon is ideal for visiting seaside resorts on Thai islands and taking cloudless pictures because it offers a gentle breeze, more comfortable temperatures (December average highs range from 27 to 30 C), and a significantly less humid atmosphere. Unsurprisingly, these four months have their highest tourism levels due to the good weather.

Hot Season: ‘Ruedu Ron’

When is it? March to June

Except for the northeastern mountain areas, Thailand mainly has a tropical environment with temperatures that rarely fall below 20°C. From March to June, North Thailand experiences the heaviest heat, with Chiang Mai reaching a scorching 36C in April. The absence of a breeze or cooling drizzle can make visiting Thailand's famous temples and pagodas difficult, but circumstances are a little less uncomfortable during southern holiday seasons; highs peak around 33C in Phuket, perfect for lazy beach days.

Best time to Travel

North

It is best to travel to Bangkok and other central Thailand locations in November and December, off-peak travel season months when temperatures aren't yet at their highest and the area is just beginning to dry out. The verdant woods, waterfalls, and rolling farmland are at their most spectacular after the significant rainfall.

Southeast

During the 'cool season' of December to February, the weather is ideal for vacationing along Thailand's east coast, including Koh Samui and Koh Phan Ngan. In addition to producing the best waves for watersports, less rain, more temperate temperatures, and a strong breeze also make for a comfortable setting for family vacations.

Southwest

The monsoon season, which lasts from July to October, is when Thailand's west coast, which includes the Andaman Sea and Khao Sok National Park, is at its most pleasant. During this time, temperatures are comfortably warm, the winds are cooling, and the humidity is at a minimum.

January

Average temperature: 27C to 31C

Hours of sunshine per day: 9 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 19mm to 56mm

February

Average temperature: 28C to 33C

Hours of sunshine per day: 8 to 9 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 22mm to 30mm

March

Average temperature: 29C to 35C

Hours of sunshine per day: 9 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 52mm to 159mm

April

Average temperature: 29C to 36C

Hours of sunshine per day: 7 to 8 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 104mm to 145mm

May

Average temperature: 28C to 34C

Hours of sunshine per day: 6 to 7 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 245mm to 260mm

June

Hours of sunshine per day: 5 to 6 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 190mm to 290mm

July

Hours of sunshine per day: 6 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 199mm to 263mm

August

Average temperature: 28C to 32C

Hours of sunshine per day: 5 to 6 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 230mm to 350mm

September

Average temperature: 27C to 32C

Hours of sunshine per day: 5 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 339mm to 381mm

October

Average temperature: 27C to 32C

Hours of sunshine per day: 6 to 7 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 275mm to 376mm

November

Average temperature: 28C to 31C

Hours of sunshine per day: 7 to 8 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 56mm to 226mm

December

Average temperature: 27C to 30C

Hours of sunshine per day: 8 to 9 hours

asean-now-logo.png

-- © Copyright Asean Now 2023-07-0

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that seems close, but the seasons and weather have changed a lot over the past few years. Even last year during the so called cool season never seemed to appear and the skies were far from clear. At least in Patttaya during the rainy season it seems to be much cooler with cloudy skies and brief rain showers. The weather is wacky so just prepare for anything during your trip here and hope for the best. 

From my point of view, you can't beat early November to mid December. Great weather, rains down south, but for me the storms are enjoyable. Then mid January to late February. Less rain, but air is funkier. Especially in the past couple of years. Avoid anything from Bangkok to the north, after the new year, till early May. Alot of hugely irresponsible and highly disrespectful farmers burning nonstop. Beijing or Delhi air quality here at that time. 

If you are OK with the heat, from June to October is very nice. Some rain. But, some of us like the storms. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:57 AM, Social Media said:

July

Hours of sunshine per day: 6 hours

Average monthly rainfall: 199mm to 263mm

Here in Phitsanulok, the sun rises before 7am and sets after 7pm which to me means 12 hours of sunshine, not 6. Very little rain for months. Temperatures are about right.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first visit to Thailand was in the rainy season. I still enjoyed it. Because rain in Thailand is warm rain. If someone is on a beach holiday it doesn't matter if you are in the middle of the rain. And in Thailand rain is mostly heavy and short. 20min rain, and that's it. No problem.

Obviously there are better and not so good times about the weather. But in the best weather time there is also high season in Thailand. Not only the hotels are more expensive.

I don't think any time should be avoided to come here, except maybe Songkran - if you don't know what to expect.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

September to end of February is the best time for 179 days 🙌 

End of rain season is beautiful in Isan and North, beaches from December and out February 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no "best" time to visit.

Thailand stretches over far more than 1000km from North to South, even with different vegetation zones.

Rain season for me is lovely with all the fresh green and fresh air and lower temperatures/never cold though. Others dislike by getting their shoes wet.

For the North I would avoid Febr-April/May because of extremely unhealthy air caused by fires.

22 minutes ago, harryviking said:

I always start my 6 moths stay in Thailand in November and leave in April. Rainy season ended November and it is getting very hot in April. An easy choice.

There is no sense being in SE Asia from at least June to September and May is iffy.

Edited by Yagoda

1 hour ago, harryviking said:

I always start my 6 moths stay in Thailand in November and leave in April. Rainy season ended November and it is getting very hot in April. An easy choice.

Yeah, makes sense. However, I'll start mid October (not too humid on Jomtien) and leave in mid March for the US. Spring up in the mountains is beautiful. Full of flowers, air is crispy but sunny.