You’ll never eat seafood sticks again after seeing these pictures

ezzra

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you are correct ......   but my comment is also correct ,   it's not fresh food at all 

IF it wasn't frozen at any point (and I hope it was) then it's fresh.   Or freshly made somewhere and now freshly reheated for you ????

As long as it taste good and is safer than many street venders, then works for me when waning.

7-11 ... best damn convenient department store in TH.  Can literally live off one, and not expensive like the USA's krap version. 

Mini Lotuts's have fresh meats & veggies if wanting to DIY.  

An 'oasis' when out & about, and the only other vendors are a grilled chicken spiced with road dust & benzine exhaust or a krap noodle/soup place with mystery meat or fish balls for protein, and no other vendor around with more the 3 reviews from family members ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes agree .... it is similar but not as big,  the disparity here is far greater than those you mentioned in the US with 7-11 Thailand having 11,983 shops  .....    

I moved to Thailand full time in 1999. At that time, I think the percentage of mom-and-pop shops was much greater. It was my experience that many of the shops sold out-of-date products, turned the air conditioning and refrigeration off at night, were open irregular days/hours and were quite often dirty. All that seemed to change with the proliferation of 7-11. Given a choice, people started choosing 7-11 over the mom-and-pop shops, not because of price, but because of the quality, variety and consistency of the products, as well as the cleanliness of the staff and facilities.

It was the same with all the pumps and Jet. Once people were given a choice between PTT, Shell, Caltex and all the other crappy old pumps and a nice Jet pump with big, clean bathrooms, good parking, Amazon coffee shops and great "Jiffy" stores, people voted with their feet. Most all the pumps started improving and finally PTT bought/merged/whatever with Jet.

The consumer benefited greatly in both cases. Everyone had to step up their game. 

You claim there are 11,983 7-11s in Thailand as if that's something bad. Would it be better if there were fewer? In any event, over half are owned by franchisees. 

I don't hear much about people getting sick from the food at 7-11, and I doubt very much the people think they are buying heath food. It's iensinexpve, filling and tasty which is what people buying it want. I went through one of the plants that made some of the heat & eat stuff about ten years ago and it was pretty impressive by any standard. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Back to the OP,

I quite like crab sticks now and again.

No worse than chicken nuggets or burgers.

I draw the line there, unless it is a real chicken nugget.  There's always  KFC near for Wings Zap, no need for nuggets.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I moved to Thailand full time in 1999. At that time, I think the percentage of mom-and-pop shops was much greater. It was my experience that many of the shops sold out-of-date products, turned the air conditioning and refrigeration off at night, were open irregular days/hours and were quite often dirty. All that seemed to change with the proliferation of 7-11. Given a choice, people started choosing 7-11 over the mom-and-pop shops, not because of price, but because of the quality, variety and consistency of the products, as well as the cleanliness of the staff and facilities.

It was the same with all the pumps and Jet. Once people were given a choice between PTT, Shell, Caltex and all the other crappy old pumps and a nice Jet pump with big, clean bathrooms, good parking, Amazon coffee shops and great "Jiffy" stores, people voted with their feet. Most all the pumps started improving and finally PTT bought/merged/whatever with Jet.

The consumer benefited greatly in both cases. Everyone had to step up their game. 

You claim there are 11,983 7-11s in Thailand as if that's something bad. Would it be better if there were fewer? In any event, over half are owned by franchisees. 

I don't hear much about people getting sick from the food at 7-11, and I doubt very much the people think they are buying heath food. It's iensinexpve, filling and tasty which is what people buying it want. I went through one of the plants that made some of the heat & eat stuff about ten years ago and it was pretty impressive by any standard. 

Yea, what he said, and agree completely.   Until there was competition, ma/pa shops were taking the Piss at times.

Choice is always good.  7-11's pack 'em in for a reason.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes agree .... it is similar but not as big,  the disparity here is far greater than those you mentioned in the US with 7-11 Thailand having 11,983 shops  .....    

CP had 12,432 7's in 2020.... 500 have closed ?

image.png.56adedaba4e95100ada45ed26f1bf868.png

Edited by Ralf001

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

spiced with road dust & benzine exhaust

or the deep fried chicken that's been sitting on the tray since 7am,  and the road dust saves the vendor adding pepper,  as for the car fumes ... that's the paprika alternative,   and remember that piece of chicken has been inspected by 300 flies throughout the day.     ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I came to post the same thing:

Hotdogs - Who eats those disgusting things?

Give me a real bratwurst smothered with onions, sauerkraut, and spicy mustard any day but keep those nasty processed hotdogs away!

On a fresh hoagie roll? 

I do like a good brat, but not really much heathier or less processed than a decent dog. 

• Love It 1

31 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Hotdogs - Who eats those disgusting things?

Love me a batter covered deep fried hotdog (corn dog/dagwood dog/Pluto pup) lavished with copious amounts of tomato sauce and yellow mustards.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Love me a batter covered deep fried hotdog (corn dog/dagwood dog/Pluto pup) lavished with copious amounts of tomato sauce and yellow mustards.

I traveled with a carnival for twelve years. Never got tired of corndogs, popcorn, apples or townie-girls. 

The "industry standard" corndog at that time was a Farmer John dog and Gold Metal batter fried in Crisco shortening, French's mustard. 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I traveled with a carnival for twelve years. Never got tired of corndogs, popcorn, apples or townie-girls. 

The "industry standard" corndog at that time was a Farmer John dog and Gold Metal batter fried in Crisco shortening, French's mustard. 

I make my own here using nice thick cumberland sausages, not keen on the dogs sold at the 7.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i do like vegemite ... and Tong Garden peanut butter

Not a vegemite, but that Tong Garden peanut butter is pretty dang good, decent value as well. 

You do know it processed, yes? ????

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i do like vegemite ... and Tong Garden peanut butter

The Tong goes great straight from jar to mouth.

Am not allowed to buy it anymore as I'll eat the whole jar if left to my own devices.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

At the price it's sold, does anyone expect crab & lobster to be in it.   As stated, about how I thought made, though I've seen the process before.

Tasty damn sticks.  Flavored/spiced up white fish, and best use for it.   

I know how they make scrapple (make my own now), and Slim Jims, still eat those, along with sausages.

Moderation, well, not scrapple, since I make my own, much better, and wouldn't buy again, aside from big corp. screwed up the recipe.

Crab/Lobster meat?

Errr, i was joking there guys, only fools will expect that those disgusting things contain anything even resembling crab meat.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The Tong goes great straight from jar to mouth.

Am not allowed to buy it anymore as I'll eat the whole jar if left to my own devices.

yes .... I tried the peanut butters,  McGarretts, natures own, and a couple of others, Tong Garden wins hands down.   McGarretts would rank well down as it was really dry ,  a home made one I got from farmers shop at Sukhumvit was pretty good but it's a small bucket full, too big for one person.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes .... I tried the peanut butters,  McGarretts, natures own, and a couple of others, Tong Garden wins hands down.   McGarretts would rank well down as it was really dry ,  a home made one I got from farmers shop at Sukhumvit was pretty good but it's a small bucket full, too big for one person.

My favorite is Jif extra crunchy, but I try not to keep it around either. 

My mother (RIP) used to make great jelly (in SoCal we always had fruit), but "store-bought" I think Smuckers boysenberry is pretty tough to beat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Not a vegemite, but that Tong Garden peanut butter is pretty dang good, decent value as well. 

You do know it processed, yes? ????

Did you read the ingredients list on that Peanut Butter? No neither did I cos I make my own.

500gm raw peanuts in the low oven for an hour until golden brown. Into the processor with a dash of oil & salt, and chop until desired crunchiness is achieved.

Cheap, no additives, and deliciously healthy.

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Did you read the ingredients list on that Peanut Butter? No neither did I cos I make my own.

500gm raw peanuts in the low oven for an hour until golden brown. Into the processor with a dash of oil & salt, and chop until desired crunchiness is achieved.

Might give that a go, what oil do you use ?

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Ingredients

Peanuts, Sugar, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Molasses, Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (rapeseed And Soybean), Mono And Diglycerides, Salt.

• Love It 1

49 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Unhealthy. I did that years ago but switched to almonds with the skin off after hearing Dr Steven Gundry explain that peanuts are bad for you because of the lectins they contain.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, lapswim said:

Unhealthy. I did that years ago but switched to almonds with the skin off after hearing Dr Steven Gundry explain that peanuts are bad for you because of the lectins they contain.

Who the f... is Steven Gundry?