Kiwi’s prison plight ends: Thai hellhole release brings a breath of relief

webfact

13 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Absolute poppycock. That is EXACTLY what Embassies USED to do before they became lapdogs of the right wing. Time to return to the times when arresting a US citizen would earn you a battleship in your biggest port.  All expats should have diplomatic immunity. If you don’t want them there, send them home at YOUR expense.

You're right, absolute poppycock from your first word to the last.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/9/2023 at 11:48 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

He's obviously old enough to have known better. I feel bad for his suffering, but come on, did he not know about drugs and Thai prisons? Why take those kind of chances? I knew about it long before I came here, and I wouldn't at the time (10 years ago) even go near anyone smoking weed.

But come on, it's 2 ecstasy pills.....

17 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Absolute poppycock. That is EXACTLY what Embassies USED to do before they became lapdogs of the right wing. Time to return to the times when arresting a US citizen would earn you a battleship in your biggest port.  All expats should have diplomatic immunity. If you don’t want them there, send them home at YOUR expense.

Felton that is fallacy imagine how many battleship they would need for every idiot American.

Embassies were never created to deal with people that end up in jail other than to make sure they are being treated fairly and their family back home is notified.

Embassies were created so that countries had representative that can discuss political or trade issues.  Military attaches are there primarily to discuss the difference in military style 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Right... let's use the lowest common denominator to identify what a country is like... you are wrong.

You're right, I should have given him 10 stars. You're either brand new, or walk around with blinders on... plenty of such people on here.

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:45 AM, JensenZ said:

Come on now - you don't need to possess to go down in Thailand.

The police, if they so wish, can plant drugs. How they treat people for drug possession is everyone's concern. The police ARE the law in Thailand.

Back in 2016 the police, and military turned up at my house to do a full search. There was no search warrant, as under military rule a warrant was not required if military were present. Why did this happen? All it took was nasty Thai neighbour with a story. I've never touched drugs in my life. I don't even drink alcohol. How easy would it be for them to plant drugs if they so wished? 

A lot of naive people on here think there are fair laws in Thailand. It's a country where rules and laws are made and enforced on the fly. It's a country where the military take control and draft new laws as they wish.

If this story is half as bad as it sounds, we should all be concerned.

The most rational post on this subject that I have read.

20 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You're right, I should have given him 10 stars. You're either brand new, or walk around with blinders on... plenty of such people on here.

Bravo, Jensen. This thread has been fruitful in populating my “Ignore List”.  Never knew there were that many stupid people.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 7:56 PM, Bday Prang said:

Ok.   how unfortunate for him to receive such a severe punishment , totally disproportionate, Looks like he appeared in front of the wrong Judge

He was out on bail 6+ months.

Got before a judge and got fined, then sent to IDC (immigration detention center) for deportation.

Took two months for NZ embassy to schedule a flight home.

He could have gone home in one day if he could afford to buy a ticket himself.

Edited by PoorSucker

35 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

He was out on bail 6+ months.

Got before a judge and got fined, then sent to IDC (immigration detention center) for deportation.

Took two months for NZ embassy to schedule a flight home.

He could have gone home in one day if he could afford to buy a ticket himself.

I don't understand I watch a lot of boarder control and if one is found to be without the correct visa or any other problems in Australia, they get send back to their country on the next available flight mostly next day or so who pays for that?

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

I don't understand I watch a lot of boarder control and if one is found to be without the correct visa or any other problems in Australia, they get send back to their country on the next available flight mostly next day or so who pays for that?

You watch BS tv shows, especially that one!,????

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

The airline, they are supposed to check visa at check in.

On 7/13/2023 at 9:35 AM, PoorSucker said:

The airline, they are supposed to check visa at check in.

They boarded with a valid Via but get rejected at border control. Unfair to make airlines pay for that.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They boarded with a valid Via but get rejected at border control. Unfair to make airlines pay for that.

Sooo, send them to IDC?

They haven't entered the country yet..

Nice of you to care about the poor airlines.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Sooo, send them to IDC?

They haven't entered the country yet..

Nice of you to care about the poor airlines.

I don't believe in making them responsible for people who knowingly tried to get into the country on false pretense. Nice of you to think of the poor criminals!