Thai submarine to be powered by Chinese engine following German withdrawal

webfact

16 minutes ago, stoner said:

the decimation of many thai lively hoods. but hey lets buy subs anyways. 

I would not connect that.....beside that it is the same government who destroyed the small and medium companies that want to purchase the subs.

But I can not see a connection

33 minutes ago, h90 said:

handing out money is a bit in the direction of communism

oh at home we called them social services. 

you know things like buses and trains, infrastructure, hospital and health care, education. things like that. 

if that is communism sign me up NOW.

17 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Most of which is in waters to shallow for submarines to operate effectively.

The bit which is deep enough for submarines to operate effectively can only be reached from the projected base by sailing down the Gulf of Thailand, around Singapore and through the Malacca Straits, which are amongst the most heavily monitored waters ( in the naval and submarine sense) in the world.

There is no military justification or role for a submarine fleet for Thailand. There is no surface naval threat posed by any of the country's neighbours, which would require a submarine to counter.

It is purely a source of "backhanders" to the naval procurement system. It is a budget, to be managed and disbursed  With control of a budget comes real power and influence. The Navy has been rather left behind in this respect since they broke all the aeroplanes for their carrier!

yes submarines in the gulf is really strange. But I am no military expert. Yes the carrier :cheesy:It could rescue tourists from Koh Samui in 2011, so it is not useless :cheesy:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

oh at home we called them social services. 

you know things like buses and trains, infrastructure, hospital and health care, education. things like that. 

if that is communism sign me up NOW.

buses, trains and infrastructure are used to pay for themself and should not cost tax.

I agree to education....

health care is a difficult topic but in general I agree...Most west has a state insurance which is supposed to pay for it...but I agree that is state/tax.

But you are speaking about robbing the people with taxes and than handing out money. It would be better to cancel taxes for the poor and finance the few things the country need to do (education) from import taxes and taxes for the more wealthy.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, h90 said:

Thailand almost had a war with Cambodia a few years ago. There is a lot tension at the Myanmar border and the new government want to openly support the rebels which in turn will make the Myanmar government hostile to Thailand.

So investing in defense makes sense.

But the health system is of course complete rotten....Thailand need both and could easily save money at the bureaucracy. Thailand has 76 states with all having a governor and the full pyramid of staff that does nothing.

Like Samut Songkhram has 190.000 people and it split again into 3 districts.....what a waste of money

God!!!! this is utter rubbish!!!!! For 1 Thailand does not have "states"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

God!!!! this is utter rubbish!!!!! For 1 Thailand does not have "states"

call it provinces or call it however you want....does not change anything on the argument

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

but they do cost tax...in almost every western country they are subsidized. 

no i'm not. i am saying don't spend millions on subs. rather spend it on things thai can actually benefit from. 

OK...maybe we even agree finally.....

I would rather save the money and reduce taxes than spending it, but that is a minor detail. No military export but subs in the flat gulf does not seem too great.....

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Let us hope so........ although I recall the company I worked for allowing some parts to be made in China that failed and forced some very expensive retrofits!

Several years ago I worked briefly for a US based O&G company north of Udon.They contracted a Thai driling company for a workover job.They used copied GM diesels (read China) You would not believe the amount of lube oil that leaked from these engines from any place there was a gasket.The clean up was a huge job.They had to find sawdust to help soak it up and placed it in barrels. 

2 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Several years ago I worked briefly for a US based O&G company north of Udon.They contracted a Thai driling company for a workover job.They used copied GM diesels (read China) You would not believe the amount of lube oil that leaked from these engines from any place there was a gasket.The clean up was a huge job.They had to find sawdust to help soak it up and placed it in barrels. 

Totally agree,  Chinese quality is very poor,  like stepping back into the 1940"s

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Most of which is in waters to shallow for submarines to operate effectively.

The bit which is deep enough for submarines to operate effectively can only be reached from the projected base by sailing down the Gulf of Thailand, around Singapore and through the Malacca Straits, which are amongst the most heavily monitored waters ( in the naval and submarine sense) in the world.

There is no military justification or role for a submarine fleet for Thailand. There is no surface naval threat posed by any of the country's neighbours, which would require a submarine to counter.

It is purely a source of "backhanders" to the naval procurement system. It is a budget, to be managed and disbursed  With control of a budget comes real power and influence. The Navy has been rather left behind in this respect since they broke all the aeroplanes for their carrier!

Correct herfie,The average depth of the gulf is 190 ft. I served 4 years on a diesel,electric sub that was 312 ft long.End on it would stick out of the water here by 120 ft.lol. The Yuan is about 250 ft.At least if it sank in the gulf the men could just pop open a hatch and swim to the surface. We trained for that at Ford Island sub base in Hawaii.

FYI: I was at Queen Sirikit Naval hospital last year and noticed a couple Thai officers in uniform with submarine badges. What's that all about?