Fly in/out for visa exempt after 1 year stay in 2023

Is this still doable in 2023? I've already used my land border runs and would like to add an extra 60 dqys to my stay. My history is came in on METV last July+2 land borders with extensions. 

I could enter a specific airport if that would help the cause. I'm guessing Suv and DM would be no fly zones for this. 

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your chances are not great. I suggest making an appointment for a tourist visa in Vientiane. If the application is successful, enter Thailand via the Friendship Bridge. If not, fly from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai, and plead your case for a visa exemption there.

The only airport I am aware of where there have never been reported cases of denied visa exempt entries is U-Tapao, but there are few viable available flights, and you should still stay out of Thailand a few days even using that airport IMHO.

Laos booked up until the 27th for visas. My leave date(I've got free ticket change) is the 22nd that would be a really boring week in Laos. If I was aiming for a full 90 I might try it but for only 60 days and spending a week of it there hoping they give me a visa I dont think I can do it. 

Yeah I heard U-Tapao is pretty easy going. Ticket prices looking absurdly high and few and far between best I can find is 15k from Nam. 

Is anywhere else doing easy visas these days outside of Laos? I thought the days of easy TVs were over. I've been slacking way to long on getting the marriage visa this stuff is such a pain these days. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

Is anywhere else doing easy visas these days outside of Laos? I thought the days of easy TVs were over. I've been slacking way to long on getting the marriage visa this stuff is such a pain these days. 

Other possible options for a tourist visa would be Yangon and Kota Bharu, neither a guarantee as we have no recent reports to go on. There are visa agents on Samui that do runs to Kota Bharu and Penang. You could try contacting them to see what they have to say about your situation.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Other possible options for a tourist visa would be Yangon and Kota Bharu, neither a guarantee as we have no recent reports to go on. There are visa agents on Samui that do runs to Kota Bharu and Penang. You could try contacting them to see what they have to say about your situation.

Thanks I'll look into these options today. I'll update the thread if I figure out something for future people in my shoes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you are married to Thai you could obtain 60 day "to visit spouse"

Also you could obtain a non O marriage at Savannakhet.

Requirements not difficult. 

Been engaged for a couple years I've just been lazy to make it official even though it sounds like a much quicker process then this visa crap I deal with. Wedding date is officially going to be Feb 2024 so I'll be done with visas then.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

With your history thinking the SETV in KL not a good option.

Especially as you indicate immediate return. 

A month out of Thailand would give you more hope for visa exempt entry via air. 

Think your plan is very risky.

Yeah I'm checking some visa run services to see if that will make it easier for me. 

If I do a fly in its likely going to be Utapao sounds like thats the best bet. 15k one way isnt cheap though thats for sure. 

Might just be not worth the hassle and head home as planned rather then stick a extra 2 months in town. Thanks for the reply

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pla Simon said:

Recently got mine with considerably more history than yourself.

Interesting.

So the OP has been in Thailand for over a year on metv and border bounces with extensions.

Very little if any time spent out of Thailand.

You state that you have "considerably more history".

Care to outline.

2 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

Been in Thailand continuously, as a tourist - without issue, until denial at Savannkhet - remedied at Vientiane, recently.

Continuously means almost zero days spent out.

METV and visa exempt via border bounces can mean minimal time out of Thailand.

So you were refused in Savannakhet but successful at Vientiane.

So in the last 12 months you did not mention a METV.

Many would like to know the recipe. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Continuously means almost zero days spent out.

METV and visa exempt via border bounces can mean minimal time out of Thailand.

So you were refused in Savannakhet but successful at Vientiane.

So in the last 12 months you did not mention a METV.

Many would like to know the recipe. 

The long and short of it is I've stayed continuously in Thailand for over 5 and a half Years, until present, as a tourist.

Things can change obviously, but right now, Vientiane are not scrutinising visa history in Thailand.

I applied with little more than a 3 Month bank statement, evidencing >20,000 thb and collected my approved visa 6 days ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

The long and short of it is I've stayed continuously in Thailand for over 5 and a half Years, until present, as a tourist

Without outlining which various tourist  visas you used as a tourist and visa exempt entries + plus maybe non ED etc.

"Stayed continuously" mean exactly that apart from brief time out of Thailand.

Even with covid concessions your 5.5 year stay in Thailand as a tourist  is ludicrous.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Even with covid concessions your 5.5 year stay in Thailand as a tourist  is ludicrous.

The word I would use is an "achievement". Even Vientiane is unlikely to give him any more tourist visas.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

With your history thinking the SETV in KL not a good option.

Especially as you indicate immediate return. 

A month out of Thailand would give you more hope for visa exempt entry via air. 

Think your plan is very risky.

KL will DENY the application for the tourist visa. Seeing ALL the recent stamps.

21 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Been engaged for a couple years I've just been lazy to make it official even though it sounds like a much quicker process then this visa crap I deal with. Wedding date is officially going to be Feb 2024 so I'll be done with visas then.

You mean the ceremony or trip to the local Amphoe office (legal marriage)? Because there's no point in waiting to the 24th for the official license which will be done quickly at the local Amphoe and then you can get the 60 day spousal visit.

30 minutes ago, SABloke said:

You mean the ceremony or trip to the local Amphoe office (legal marriage)? Because there's no point in waiting to the 24th for the official license which will be done quickly at the local Amphoe and then you can get the 60 day spousal visit.

He'll be needing 'Freedom to Marry' documents to get married in February '24 and those are only valid for three months.

Nowhere near ready to make the trip to local Amphoe IMO. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Pla Simon said:

If you book your appointment, and log in to your link everyday, invariably you will find earlier appointment slots opening up - upto a good few days before. Simply rebook and cancel old appointment.

You will get your visa at Vientiane - 100%

Recently got mine with considerably more history than yourself. Form and 3 Months bank statements, an address to goto and 1,000 thb - all very friendly.

This was after refusal at Savannakhet.

2 full working days processing time. If you're handing in on a Friday - collect Tuesday.

Personally don't like Vientiane, so I try to avoid staying unless necessary.

Vang Vieng, although not what it was, is still worth a chill for a week - 2 hour minibus from Vientiane 150,000 kip.

Decent room 150 - 200,000 kip.

Baht to kip is 570 atm - traditionally 250.

Yeah I actually checked back and found a open day on a Friday. Obv would prefer a better day but as a worst case option thats acceptable. 

I'm also considering just paying a service and heading down to Penang. Seems like it would take less time. Any reason you didnt consider them? I take it you have thought things out very well with your history.

Appreciate the report. 100% I do like those odds! 

Edited by lovesthespicy

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

Going to do a ceremony and then the local trip after. Have to make one final trip to the states before hand but yeah coming soon!

5 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

Multiple reasons - I have never paid an agent, and never will.

I could have paid 20 bags of sand to an agent in Buriram, to sort out retirement visa, but decided to use monies to travel, and have a holiday.

Here 28 Years - speak a few languages - enough to get by, and do things myself.

Not enamoured with Malaysia.

Not immediately constrained by time.

Been hitting Laos / Cambodia for Years - history / friends - not been anywhere outside of Thailand since covid, so nice to get out of the village.

If you keep checking - more days will open up - people / agents cancelling, etc.

Dogmatic comments of  "ludicrous - achievement" have no bearing on the facts at hand - my prolonged stay as a tourist has all been above board - legitimised by immigration officials / auspice of  law. 

Just making my way forwards - there is always a way here.

I will say to anyone running out of visa, with prolonged history in Thailand - Vientiane is more or less a dead cert right now for a SETV.

Yeah you were spot on about more days opening up. Just switched to a Wed which would allow me to be back in Thailand for the weekend assuming drop off and they hold two business days until Friday. 

Yeah I hear ya on Malaysia not a place I've been into ever going to. Vientiane is as easy as it gets despite being a boring town to me. As long as I didnt have to spend the entire weekend there I can handle it.

I see no problem with being a long stay tourist as long as you arent working here taking someones job. Even staying 5+ years you arent breaking the law whatsoever. The money you spend here is good for the economy. 

Appreciate the advice and hope you continue to run good on staying here without a long term visa. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So glad Immigration Officials never pay attention to any of these threads.

I remember people bragging about having stayed in Thailand for years using "border runs and 30 day Exemption stamps". 
Then Thailand clamped down on 30 Day stamps and limited them to 3 per year.

Then people were bragging about how they could use agents to get around the "800k in the bank method" by the agent depositing 800k in your account long enough for you to get the bank letter and bankbook update and then transferring the money back.

So Immigration tightened the rules that the money had to be in the account for 3 months before applying.

Then people bragged how they were able to get around that so Immigration changed the rules again and now you have to keep 400k in the account all year and the other 400k has to be in there 3 months before your Extension application and 3 months after.

I suspect it won't be long before they announce another crackdown and tighten the rules again.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2023 at 8:06 PM, Pla Simon said:

The long and short of it is I've stayed continuously in Thailand for over 5 and a half Years, until present, as a tourist.

Things can change obviously, but right now, Vientiane are not scrutinising visa history in Thailand.

I applied with little more than a 3 Month bank statement, evidencing >20,000 thb and collected my approved visa 6 days ago.

Interesting to know this is possible, especially since others have been saying it isn't possible to be on a METV as a long-term solution. Was this done by flying back in to BKK airport each time or most times over the past 5 and a half years?

Edited by bbi1

Hey everyone I ended up getting a visa from Vientiane with no questions asked. Coming over the border the IO seemed somewhat annoyed looking at my passport and the computer but I got in  no problem. So for those with a history that need a visa Laos is the spot right now. 

• Thumbs Up 2