Facial recognition - and other Thai banking fiascos!! - YMMV

On 7/11/2023 at 9:35 PM, anterian said:

I am totally pissed off about this, this is not about security, its about the push to a cashless society. Less bank branches, ATMs and staff, and more profits for the bank. They could easily run both systems and let the customer choose. My British bank has both systems. 

Cashless society and harvesting and selling customer data. Phones are a wealth of consumer information, especially if you don't read the terms of agreement and allow them access to all your information. They can then sell (what they call "share") that data to 3rd parties providing a constant stream of revenue.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:08 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Under what rock do you live?

Mass demonstrations for years. Massive conflicts in the South for decades.

Generally speaking he is correct.  Thais USUALLY dont complain to anybody and especially anybody of what may be seen as a higher staus.  In my village no-one will ring PEC when there are power problems.  My wife and her family refuse point blank.  Its seen as complaining about their service meaning a loss of face.  One time we were running on half power for two weeks because no-one would call.

You should get out from under your rock lol!

Yesterday afternoon I received an email from [email protected] advising the following:

"Your request for waiving verification by face recognition has been approved."

Unfortunately I have already paid my large commitments for this month (via transactions in person at the bank) so will have to wait until next month before I try a >50K transaction via the app to see if it works.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Generally speaking he is correct.  Thais USUALLY dont complain to anybody and especially anybody of what may be seen as a higher staus.  In my village no-one will ring PEC when there are power problems.  My wife and her family refuse point blank.  Its seen as complaining about their service meaning a loss of face.  One time we were running on half power for two weeks because no-one would call.

You should get out from under your rock lol!

So the Thais you know in your village don't complain.  Doesn't say much. Why didn't you call?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise.

After the first annoying experiences with Bangkok Bank:

seems they worked on it. No more grimaces required and face recognized even before exactly in the frame.

(if you are in a private hospital you better raise the limits ????)

On 7/15/2023 at 2:28 PM, Jai Dee said:

Yesterday afternoon I received an email from [email protected] advising the following:

"Your request for waiving verification by face recognition has been approved."

Unfortunately I have already paid my large commitments for this month (via transactions in person at the bank) so will have to wait until next month before I try a >50K transaction via the app to see if it works.

Transferred Madam's 70k "housekeeping" without issue, the SCB waiver seems to function ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Transferred Madam's 70k "housekeeping" without issue, the SCB waiver seems to function ???? 

I went into the nearest SCB branch and signed their &^%!#@#$ waiver.  They said it would take a week.  Three days later I was able to transfer 400K ฿ out so I could take advantage of the 7 month window that Immigration allows me to reduce the balance required for retirement extension.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yep... I managed to do a 200K transaction (which is my current daily limit) without any problem as well. :cool:

• Like 1

I just saw these 2 popups when I logged on to my Kbank (web). I will not be in Thailand for a couple of months now and will have to make a large outgoing transaction soon (800k) to another thai bank. Does anyone know if I will be able to do so but in 199k x4 transactions instead without having to register face ID? How do you interpret the attached popups or what does the Thai text say with 199,999 thb?

2023-08-04-233408.png

2023-08-04-233808.png

• 3 weeks later...