Turning to reading to battle my depression and apparent alcoholism.

bob smith

2 minutes ago, marin said:

Guarantee you he did not buy any books at all. He is simply trolling yet again. The guy has done this from his first thread. "I took a girl to Koh Chang and found out she wanted money". ????

This is what he desires.

payattention-pay.gif

you claim to know a lot about me...

all of which is totally false but keep thinking you are right if it makes you happy!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

so ive decided to throw myself into literature to try and wake me from my slumber.

this morning ive spent about 15,000 baht on ebooks and their accompanying audiobooks.

im doing this in the hope that these will keep me occupied long enough to keep me away from the bar stool, at least for a few weeks.

i will however be having a whiskey or two of an evening with my books.

i find that the utmost relaxing. 

Those with depression always turn to quick fixes to feel better. Sex, spending, gambling, eating, sleeping too much, alcohol, drugs, self medicating. It only lasts awhile, then it's back to "normal" once again. Depression is thought of as an imbalance of brain chemicals, serotonin and norepinephrine and dopamine, neurotransmitters, and that medications such as SSRI'S will sometimes help. Sometimes they work, sometimes they have to be changed, sometimes they stop working. Depression is a complex problem. Sometimes it comes from a drastic life event, a death in the family, lost job, too many things at one time causing too much stress. This passes, but clinical depression goes on. It will be persistent, but sometimes mild and not severe. Psychotherapy helps, as talking always helps those with issues regarding low self esteem, loss of pleasure in things you normally like. Doing things you like helps your moods, and staying away from toxic people also lowers your stress. Exercise, eating right, sex, sharing with friends, traveling, all help but only temporarily. You still have to stop to think, and over thinking is a sign of depression and doesn't help matters. If you take meds, it isn't  a good idea to combine them with alcohol or other recreational and some prescription drugs. There are mental health hospitals throughout Thailand which have qualified doctors, so that's the first step. I'm including a link that will help with the subject......................https://www.verywellmind.com/the-chemistry-of-depression-1065137

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, marin said:

Guarantee you he did not buy any books at all. He is simply trolling yet again. The guy has done this from his first thread. "I took a girl to Koh Chang and found out she wanted money". ????

This is what he desires.

payattention-pay.gif

Show me a strike first

Just now, bignok said:

No proof of that.

That's why I said thought of as, because research is always going on, and imbalances in brain chemicals do cause problems. You can look it up if you'd like, instead of always asking for links.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

That's why I said thought of as, because research is always going on, and imbalances in brain chemicals do cause problems. You can look it up if you'd like, instead of always asking for links.

I did look it up.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Do you know what a theory is, instead of arguing just for the sake of arguing? I personally know of 5 people that medication has helped tremendously, those that have suffered for years............https://www.healthline.com/health/chemical-imbalance-in-the-brain#causes

Edited by fredwiggy

Try reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Goog it. For me, it was and is very powerful and a good reference book to jump in anywhere when feeling lost or at odds or desperate or depressed. Gets you out of your head...which is always the problem.

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Do you know what a theory is, instead of arguing just for the sake of arguing? I personally know of 5 people that medication has helped tremendously, those that have suffered for years............https://www.healthline.com/health/chemical-imbalance-in-the-brain#causes

Unfounded theory with no evidence to support it. Old wives tale.

7 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Try reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Goog it. For me, it was and is very powerful and a good reference book to jump in anywhere when feeling lost or at odds or desperate or depressed. Gets you out of your head...which is always the problem.

What are the top 3 takeaways from the book?

Just now, bignok said:

Unfounded theory with no evidence to support it. Old wives tale.

Still arguing for just the sake. I've researched depression for 30 years and fully understand the in's and out's of this disease. I said it was a theory that medications help, although they have been proven to balance brain chemicals. If this is what helped the person's depression, that's good, but it's sometimes changing the lifestyle, psychotherapy to get to the root cause if possible, and teaching the person not to over think, which is a symptom of depression and anxiety. Changing your thoughts to positive ones helps. There is evidence that medications help, and like I mentioned, I know 5 that have benefited by only adding that to their lives. Some doctors believe they help, some don't, some aren't sure, just like with every other ailment. Positive thinking always helps people who are ill. Medications help with the symptoms of depression, which is one step towards feeling better. People who have severe depression don't want to do anything at times, and staying still and thinking too much or sleeping too much isn't helping anything. You relieve some symptoms, it's easier to manage depression so you can have a more stable life.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Still arguing for just the sake. I've researched depression for 30 years and fully understand the in's and out's of this disease. I said it was a theory that medications help, although they have been proven to balance brain chemicals. If this is what helped the person's depression, that's good, but it's sometimes changing the lifestyle, psychotherapy to get to the root cause if possible, and teaching the person not to over think, which is a symptom of depression and anxiety. Changing your thoughts to positive ones helps. There is evidence that medications help, and like I mentioned, I know 5 that have benefited by only adding that to their lives. Some doctors believe they help, some don't, some aren't sure, just like with every other ailment. Positive thinking always helps people who are ill. Medications help with the symptoms of depression, which is one step towards feeling better. People who have severe depression don't want to do anything at times, and staying still and thinking too much or sleeping too much isn't helping anything. You relieve some symptoms, it's easier to manage depression so you can have a more stable life.

No argument from me. It just isn't right. Inflamation is another theory which seems more likely.

Cold therapy reduces inflamation and people feel better. Seems more practical.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

No argument from me. It just isn't right. Inflamation is another theory which seems more likely.

Cold therapy reduces inflamation and people feel better. Seems more practical.

Research more, respond less.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

My own cousin was suffering from severe depression for most of his adult life, and it hurt his marriage. He went to a doctor, who prescribed an SSRI. After a couple of weeks, with no other lifestyle changes made, his mood improved dramatically, and he had a normal life from then on. That was many years ago when he started. Proof that sometimes theories work.