Russian Fined 2,500 Baht After Riding the Wrong Way on One-Way Road in Phuket Old Town – VIDEO

webfact

3 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:
5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

2500 thats a bit steep, when thai's do it all day long 

Quite, maybe the cops pick on foreigners on purpose cos they have money?????

Maybe he committed three offences and maybe the rental company was fined also.  Maybe you could read the link.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, stoner said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"you all got it wrong".

So did you.

"...he faced charges of riding without a driving license and was fined 1,000 Baht, and reckless riding, for which he was fined 1,000 Baht, and also riding in the wrong direction for which he was fined 500 Baht. In total he was fined 2,500 baht.

The motorbike rental operator was fined 2,000 Baht for allowing riders who do not have a driving license to ride their motorbikes".

https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/07/12/russian-fined-2500-baht-after-riding-the-wrong-way-on-one-way-road-in-phuket-old-town-video/

Expand  

so by that logic all thai should pay the 2000b as well. plus the 500b fine. 

Well, using your logic, all fines must be specific and  not have minimum and maximum range and police officers must not have discretion!   

Fines have a range, officers have discretion and not every foreigner is fined the same as the Russian was.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, using your logic, all fines must be specific and  not have minimum and maximum range and police officers must not have discretion!   

Fines have a range, officers have discretion and not every foreigner is fined the same as the Russian was.

you speak of this situation like it is comparable to back home. driving, traffic enforcement etc is a joke here and you know it lou. 

spare me. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

you speak of this situation like it is comparable to back home. driving, traffic enforcement etc is a joke here and you know it lou. 

spare me. 

Was something in that comment incorrect, then? 

Spare me, indeed. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Was something in that comment incorrect, then? 

Spare me, indeed. 

so you are saying thai police are out daily doing a fantastic job giving tickets to as many rule breakers as possible ? 

i don't see it lou. im out daily riding and i just don't see it. 

the way the fine was broken down you are correct yes. but lets pretend that is anything normal here. the point i am trying to make that seems to elude you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stoner said:

so you are saying thai police are out daily doing a fantastic job giving tickets to as many rule breakers as possible ? 

i don't see it lou. im out daily riding and i just don't see it. 

the way the fine was broken down you are correct yes. but lets pretend that is anything normal here. the point i am trying to make that seems to elude you. 

Good

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, pomchop said:

I'd like to thank all the Thais who ride on sidewalks and go wrong way all the time for likely saving my life...after surviving in Thailand i never ever ever cross a street or make a turn or anything similar without looking both ways 3 times...came in handy a few times in usa where running red lights and stop signs is a daily occurrence.  Thailand, if you survive, prepares you well for other countries.

I always thought I was a better driver back in the UK after driving here. Much more aware of traffic around me.

The police should come to Thepprasit Road Pattaya. Since building the stupid meridian strip the number of motorcycles on the wrong side has more than tripled.

After I turn into Thepprasit I have to ride a couple of hundred yards to the u-turn. In that distance I normally meet three or four bikes coming towards me, every time.

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Could be a number of charges as well 

wrong way

No helmet 

dangerous driving/ without due care/a danger to others

Ignoring a road sign

No license

No tax .+=

No insurance.

= that is half the Thais on the road descriptor until up to covid...maybe rules getting enforced more now...not sure.

With foreigners its a "When in Rome" phenomenon....a lot take their cue from what seems tolerated on the roads. I had an old western dude come towards me on expressway wrong way out of his gated community to short-cut to another bit.

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

= that is half the Thais on the road descriptor until up to covid...maybe rules getting enforced more now...not sure.

With foreigners its a "When in Rome" phenomenon....a lot take their cue from what seems tolerated on the roads. I had an old western dude come towards me on expressway wrong way out of his gated community to short-cut to another bit.

Sorry but what is your point? i was trying to explain why the fine was 2,500b

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They do but those reports don't make it to the English-language oriented media, for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

The police should come to Thepprasit Road Pattaya. Since building the stupid meridian strip the number of motorcycles on the wrong side has more than tripled.

After I turn into Thepprasit I have to ride a couple of hundred yards to the u-turn. In that distance I normally meet three or four bikes coming towards me, every time.

Fully agree, you never see a cop there!

• Like 1