When is life worth living?

Confuscious

9 minutes ago, 2baht said:

When is life worth living?

I find Wednesday afternoons are ok!

Tuesdays for us ???? ????

Swensen's ... 2 for 1 Scoops Tuesday (members)

Sunrise Taco ... image.png.f10e935bfe1b43a16180d45641916c99.png

Ojo ... Taco Tuesday

image.png.26a2a0c0a21c2d69aab0a29cd755a7fc.png

For some of you other folks, well, it's Happy Hour somewheres.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know what I will do if I can't walk anymore. I guess life is still interesting. If it hurts every day and I have no fun at all anymore, then the balcony is not far. Let's think about that if I want to think about it.

That's the point of this discussion.

My friend is dying slowly from cancer, and I strongly doubt that he is enjoying his life now.

Would it not be better to go to a high rise building and start skydiving?

I live alone and struggle with walking.

My health is not so good anymore.

I have nobody I care off.

When things go worse and I would live in pain and isolated at home, would it not be better to chose the easy way out?

I remember someone who had a successful website in Thailand, and got a stroke.

He lived in Chiang Mai if I remember correctly.

One day he put a plastic bag over his head and went to sleep.

That was the end of his life.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About the life expectancy:

Many people get this wrong.

If the average life expectancy is i.e. 70 that mean in average all people (maybe specific sex, location) live so long. People who die when they are 20 or 30 or any other age are part of the statistic.

For that reason, if you are already 70, then your life expectancy is a lot more than the overall average.

Here is one article about this:

https://www.hsalist.org/resources/life-expectancy/male/70/

HLE healthy life expectancy is 60 in the UK.

DFLE disability free life expectancy is 63.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/bulletins/healthstatelifeexpectanciesuk/2018to2020#:~:text=Download this chart-,Disability-free life expectancy (DFLE) at birth reduced by,2017 and 2018 to 2020&text=Among the constituent countries of,and Scotland (Figure 5).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

That's the point of this discussion.

My friend is dying slowly from cancer, and I strongly doubt that he is enjoying his life now.

Would it not be better to go to a high rise building and start skydiving?

I live alone and struggle with walking.

My health is not so good anymore.

I have nobody I care off.

When things go worse and I would live in pain and isolated at home, would it not be better to chose the easy way out?

I remember someone who had a successful website in Thailand, and got a stroke.

He lived in Chiang Mai if I remember correctly.

One day he put a plastic bag over his head and went to sleep.

That was the end of his life.

Actually I've put a lot of thought into this.I'm a 72 yo cancer survivor.I had bypass surgery 12 years ago so I've had my fair share of illness.I had my wife sign the DNR papers for my DR.

I don't want her inheritance blown away with me hooked up in ICU and the Dr breaks the news "sorry insurance finit" Thats my solution.In the perfect/dream world we would all just go to bed one night and not wake up.In reality I don't think it works that way very often. 

• Love It 1

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just looking at the link, this is "at birth".

The life expectancy is a lot higher for people who are already 50, 60, 80 or whatever. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Actually I've put a lot of thought into this.I'm a 72 yo cancer survivor.I had bypass surgery 12 years ago so I've had my fair share of illness.I had my wife sign the DNR papers for my DR.

I don't want her inheritance blown away with me hooked up in ICU and the Dr breaks the news "sorry insurance finit" Thats my solution.In the perfect/dream world we would all just go to bed one night and not wake up.In reality I don't think it works that way very often. 

It worked for NancyL and Dave2.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:

The last few months, a lot of friends exchanged the life on earth for the eternal life.
Some even a lot younger than me, and in good health (aparently).

A few weeks ago, I got the news that a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer.

I saw him almost every day in his shop where he walked with a big smile to the Diary Queen shop to buy his ice cream.
A friend setup a Go-Fund.me to collect money for his treatment.
But in less than a month time he was gone.

Another friend of mine, send me a picture of his neck with a huge open bulge on the side of his neck and said that he was diagnosed with cancer.
He had no money for the treatment (Chemo + Radiation) and the hospital bills, and asked me what to do.
As far as I could see from the picture, he would have at best a few weeks to live in pain with that bulge, before the cancer will close the blood to his brain.

I, myself, am not in a very healthy stage anymore (almost 70 years old), deteriorating Kidneys and had a big surgery 5 years ago.
I am already older and start having problems with walking and fear that I will need a walker soon.

In my country, people who are in a situation where life is not worth living anymore, can ask for Euthanasy.
A quick get-out of this world.

There is even a case now where a convicted criminal (Paedophile) is asking for Euthanasy to not harm children anymore as he fears that he will always be fond of children (in a particular way).

When I go to Pattaya, I see people in a wheelchair or otherwise disabled people, driving around in their motorized wheelchair with a stunning girl on their lap and having fun despite of their disability.
I see lot of grandpa's, some as old as Mathusalem, hanging in some bar with a stunning girl and having lots of fun.
Of course, this kind of fun (love) don't last long and need to be heavy funded.

What is your POV on this subject?

The choice is completely determined by an individual and that individual alone. I’ve seen the worst of it and the best. At this point living life at its fullest, whatever is left for me, good or bad it’s a bonus. Having a positive outlook and greeting others with a smile, especially strangers is what keeps me going.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is what happens when you live in a 3rd world country with no money for hospital bills. A lot of my family in Canada are enjoying their lives in their mid 70's. Yes, in my old age I will be getting the best healthcare on taxpayer dime. Trust me, no old folk are envious of you living in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess in most situations we don't have to plan much ahead.

When we feel for an hour that we don't want to live anymore then maybe we should wait a little longer.

If we feel for a week that we don't want to live anymore and there is no hope then it's up to us to act, or not, or maybe later.

As far as I know people who are sick and everything hurts have often morphine at home. I know one guy with terminal cancer who said bye bye to everybody before he took a large dose.

Another guy with health problems has a big stack of morphine at home. If he doesn't want to live anymore, he can end his life anytime with a deep sleep. 

Interesting ...I wonder where they would acquire that stuff?

8 minutes ago, Celsius said:

This is what happens when you live in a 3rd world country with no money for hospital bills. A lot of my family in Canada are enjoying their lives in their mid 70's. Yes, in my old age I will be getting the best healthcare on taxpayer dime. Trust me, no old folk are envious of you living in Thailand.

That's the issue ...you'd have to live in Canada

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

That's exactly what is happening to my friend now.
He has no insurance and must pay everything out his own pocket.
He is spending now lots of money on hospital bills, whilst knowing that he will not be cured.
Only delay his faith.
Is this worth the suffering?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Confuscious said:

He is spending now lots of money on hospital bills, whilst knowing that he will not be cured.
Only delay his faith.

Nobody is forcing him to have medical treatment.

• Thumbs Up 2

My POV.

Thailand completely sucks at providing palliative care for terminally ill patients and out of some sick, twisted sense of morality they say it is based on Buddhism, that the dying deserve to die in pain and suffering due to their 'bad karma."

And it is a sick and twisted view of life.  I'm Buddhist and I despise this total lack of basic humanity by Thais for all  other suffering sentient being when palliative care is available.

:angry:  You must have been bad person in past life.  You suffer now.  It's your karma!!! 
That's sick and twisted.

All people deserve to be treated with palliative care at the end of their lives.
Those who refuse to provide the palliative care or those government officials who make pain relief like opioids and fentanyl patches next to impossible to acquire as you suffer in your end of life?

Those people are headed to Buddhist Hell.

• Love It 1

42 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Only delay his faith.

No - it is not - unless you can't come to grips with your mortality.  Especially after 70 years old as I am.

On the contrary, the only money I wish to spend is on palliative care. Not trying to make a terminal condition 'better.'  For those of you who wish to 'live forever?'  Man, I feel for ya.
Ain't happening.
Palliative care, for the most part is not accessible unless you are admitted to a government hospital or a high-price private hospital.  Palliative care is pathetic in Thailand.  Hospice care?  What hospice care. Hospice care doesn't exist her because?  "You have Bad Karma And Must Suffer!"  
These people have no real soul or empathy.  Like I said, they consider that you are burning karma and who are they to help you.  And yet?  In my Buddhist opinion, they are the ones who by refusing to provide palliative care are the monsters.  People who refuse to provide palliative care to the suffering - are monsters.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm fully cognizant that at the 'end of my life', I may need to board a plane and fly to my home state where I can obtain opioids on the street and self medicate - or - inject too much. 

Thailand?  Unless you are wealthy or really, really well insured?  You don't want to die here.  And even if you are "wealthy or really, really well insured," you still may not want to die here because these Thais - do - not - care - about - your - physical - suffering - because - IT IS YOUR KARMA.  Cement that in your farang mind. 

Which in my Buddhist opinion?  Is Sick and Twisted.  But?  I'm not a Thai Buddhist. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

That's the issue ...you'd have to live in Canada

Yes. I knew this comment would be coming.

But for many people living in Canada is no issue at all. 

Thailand is for young people, not old. Came at 39 and I am 49 now. I don't want to spend another 20 years on this forum complaining, so I don't think I will be spending my old age here. I don't wanna go to immigration every year and beg for a visa especially when my body gets weaker. 

Not my country. Young guys in, old guys out.  Only a matter of time before Thailand pulls Malaysia regarding retirement visas. The cost of everything is going up. Pity the folk who sold everything to live the dream.

In my mid 50's the plan is to have enough money for me and wife for a business class to Thailand and stay 6 months a year or whatever and maintain Canadian residency. That is quality life, not slumming it here in heat and no Western kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Confuscious said:

The last few months, a lot of friends exchanged the life on earth for the eternal life.
Some even a lot younger than me, and in good health (aparently).

A few weeks ago, I got the news that a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer.

I saw him almost every day in his shop where he walked with a big smile to the Diary Queen shop to buy his ice cream.
A friend setup a Go-Fund.me to collect money for his treatment.
But in less than a month time he was gone.

Another friend of mine, send me a picture of his neck with a huge open bulge on the side of his neck and said that he was diagnosed with cancer.
He had no money for the treatment (Chemo + Radiation) and the hospital bills, and asked me what to do.
As far as I could see from the picture, he would have at best a few weeks to live in pain with that bulge, before the cancer will close the blood to his brain.

I, myself, am not in a very healthy stage anymore (almost 70 years old), deteriorating Kidneys and had a big surgery 5 years ago.
I am already older and start having problems with walking and fear that I will need a walker soon.

In my country, people who are in a situation where life is not worth living anymore, can ask for Euthanasy.
A quick get-out of this world.

There is even a case now where a convicted criminal (Paedophile) is asking for Euthanasy to not harm children anymore as he fears that he will always be fond of children (in a particular way).

When I go to Pattaya, I see people in a wheelchair or otherwise disabled people, driving around in their motorized wheelchair with a stunning girl on their lap and having fun despite of their disability.
I see lot of grandpa's, some as old as Mathusalem, hanging in some bar with a stunning girl and having lots of fun.
Of course, this kind of fun (love) don't last long and need to be heavy funded.

What is your POV on this subject?

I am 73 and my opinion is that life is not worth living much past 75. I’m too cowardly to kill myself but I wish I could rely on going in my sleep. At least I’m living with a nice Thai woman as I face death.  ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

My ex-wife, 65 years old was hospitalized last year with urgency for the 99th time.
Could not breath.
Happened every time the weather was sunny and the temperature raised above the 25 degrees.

Her lungs were gone to the dogs by her heavy smoking habit.
When she was transported to the hospital she was still conscious and she signed a paper that if her situation would get worse she would refuse to be kept alive with machines ($$$$$$).
She died peaceful after 2 weeks in the hospital without machines.

• Like 2