When is life worth living?

Confuscious

The last few months, a lot of friends exchanged the life on earth for the eternal life.
Some even a lot younger than me, and in good health (aparently).

A few weeks ago, I got the news that a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer.

I saw him almost every day in his shop where he walked with a big smile to the Diary Queen shop to buy his ice cream.
A friend setup a Go-Fund.me to collect money for his treatment.
But in less than a month time he was gone.

Another friend of mine, send me a picture of his neck with a huge open bulge on the side of his neck and said that he was diagnosed with cancer.
He had no money for the treatment (Chemo + Radiation) and the hospital bills, and asked me what to do.
As far as I could see from the picture, he would have at best a few weeks to live in pain with that bulge, before the cancer will close the blood to his brain.

I, myself, am not in a very healthy stage anymore (almost 70 years old), deteriorating Kidneys and had a big surgery 5 years ago.
I am already older and start having problems with walking and fear that I will need a walker soon.

In my country, people who are in a situation where life is not worth living anymore, can ask for Euthanasy.
A quick get-out of this world.

There is even a case now where a convicted criminal (Paedophile) is asking for Euthanasy to not harm children anymore as he fears that he will always be fond of children (in a particular way).

When I go to Pattaya, I see people in a wheelchair or otherwise disabled people, driving around in their motorized wheelchair with a stunning girl on their lap and having fun despite of their disability.
I see lot of grandpa's, some as old as Mathusalem, hanging in some bar with a stunning girl and having lots of fun.
Of course, this kind of fun (love) don't last long and need to be heavy funded.

What is your POV on this subject?

• Thanks 1

Suicide, assisted or not, us out if the question for me 

As is kanoodling with young prostitutes

In case of incapacity, I do have a problem as I have no support mechanism here.

I'm working on it though..

Death is a non- issue for me.

One of the benefits of religion/Spirituality

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

In my country, people who are in a situation where life is not worth living anymore, can ask for Euthanasy.
A quick get-out of this world.

YARN | My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates ...

Love chocolates, so enjoyable, remind me of life, all that free air

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Accept death when it comes.

At 67 I've already lived longer than my parents and most of my friends and relatives.

I know average age of death is supposedly 77  but where are all these old folk hiding.

?

Surprisingly many 80+ are still alive, 50% in fact.

It is from 2021, so -2 years. If you are born in 1942, pick 1940 for comparison. 

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2021/07/31/how-many-people-are-still-alive-from-the-year-you-were-born/1/

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Accept death when it comes.

At 67 I've already lived longer than my parents and most of my friends and relatives.

I know average age of death is supposedly 77  but where are all these old folk hiding.

?

Yep, passed my expiration date last year, of 67.7 yrs.  So now on borrowed time, thankfully all good.

Simply enjoy living & dying ... it's nature.  Thinking about it, just puts you in the latter earlier and a waste of time.

PeanutsSoopy.jpg

porch.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Any will do.

The result is the same.

Contentment and fearless of death.

Why would non-belief make anyone fear death? Surely religion with threats of eternal damnation would be more worrisome.

Personally I'll just keep going, when I die, I die.

• Like 2

About the life expectancy:

Many people get this wrong.

If the average life expectancy is i.e. 70 that mean in average all people (maybe specific sex, location) live so long. People who die when they are 20 or 30 or any other age are part of the statistic.

For that reason, if you are already 70, then your life expectancy is a lot more than the overall average.

Here is one article about this:

https://www.hsalist.org/resources/life-expectancy/male/70/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Any will do.

The result is the same.

Contentment and fearless of death.

Only if you have strong faith that your theories about afterlife are correct. Mostly it's just brainwashing from birth. If you can truly convince yourself that the end of your physical life is not the end of your existence, it's not a bad thing.

I'm a bit envious of people who are so convinced. It doesn't work for me and I was deeply emersed in a Christian religion from birth until I started critical thinking as an adult.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

When I go to Pattaya, I see people in a wheelchair or otherwise disabled people, driving around in their motorized wheelchair with a stunning girl on their lap and having fun despite of their disability.
I see lot of grandpa's, some as old as Mathusalem, hanging in some bar with a stunning girl and having lots of fun.

I live in Pattaya and very rarely see this.  Many older 40 +  ladies who are caretaker types I see with older disabled men, yes.  A stunning lady under 40 almost never. 

Hanging in a bar is one thing,  stunning girl on the lap of your wheelchair is something else 5555   

Good for them and as we all know it only takes the right amount of Baht to hire a companion for an hour, a day, or a month.  

Edited by Skallywag