When is life worth living?

Confuscious

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

the last few decades, life expectancy has increased dramatically around the globe. The average person born in 1960, the earliest year the United Nations began keeping global data, could expect to live to 52.5 years of age. Today, the average is 72. In the UK, where records have been kept longer, this trend is even greater. In 1841, a baby girl was expected to live to just 42 years of age, a boy to 40. In 2016, a baby girl could expect to reach 83; a boy, 79.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181002-how-long-did-ancient-people-live-life-span-versus-longevity

From your BBC link ...........

"The life span of humans – opposed to life expectancy, which is a statistical construct – hasn’t really changed much at all – Walter Scheidel"

it's not enough to find a link, you nee to read and understand it.

Anyway, you've identified yourself now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Take magnesium 2 times a day.

Life Extension Magnesium Citrate 100 mg (100 Vegetarian Capsules)I take these plus Tumeric 2250 mg daily.I have the wrong magnesium tabs but will change up when these run out.I should have done a bit more research into which magnesium tabs to take.There are several varieties on the market. Any suggestions? Thanks...

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

From your BBC link ...........

"The life span of humans – opposed to life expectancy, which is a statistical construct – hasn’t really changed much at all – Walter Scheidel"

it's not enough to find a link, you nee to read and understand it.

Anyway, you've identified yourself now!

You are posting nonsense. Average age has increased a lot, by decades.

Can't add up.

It's a question of what you can get out of it or put into it. I always recall the scene in Bertollucci's film "1900" when Burt Lancaster takes a wench into a barn and discovers he can't get it up. He takes his belt off and hangs himself on the spot. 

Nature will tell me when my time is up. I have it all planned out. I'm not going to carry on like a zombie, with life assisted by artificial (that is, medical) means. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would say the complete opposite.

Your home country is where you build up your savings and pension as a young person.

Thailand is the place to come and spend it, hopefully in a nice house with a younger wife.

If you aren't fully funded for the rest of your life, you shouldn't be here IMHO.

What is fully funded? I have almost  million dollars in savings. My wife also works and gets good salary.  I don't think this is enough to live in a country where you have to pay for healthcare out of your own pocket and get kicked out if you don't satisfy immigration requirements which become more difficult as you get older.

As for a younger wife, some of us like to live in the real world where your "younger" wife won't go cry to her bro at the first sign of missed payment.

Edited by Celsius
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

There are several varieties on the market. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Magnesium taurate is what I take as it has taurine which has been shown to play a role in regulating blood sugar as well as promote lower blood pressure

As well as other muscular recovery benefits IMO

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would say the complete opposite.

Your country is where you build up your savings and pension as a young person.

Thailand is the place to come and spend it, hopefully in a nice house with a younger wife.

If you aren't fully funded for the rest of your life, you shouldn't be here IMHO.

With the salary you've got in the years when you was young, you can not save enough money to live comfortable anywhere.
Even nowadays it is quasy impossible for a normal worker to save enough to retire in Thailand.
Specially when you go live in Thailand at retirement age and you have none or a basic medical insurance (which will kick you out at 70 anyway).
And don't forget that the retirement age in most European countries is now already 68 years and will be 70 years in 2025.

For me, I made the plan to move back to Europe soon.
This will allow me to have a FULL health insurance and other benefits (no need to beg for a Visa extension to a monkey).
Once registrered in Europe, I can travel anytime to any country I want (maximum 3 months) and have the guarantee that in case something happens to me I will be taken care off by the insurance (Repatriation).

On 7/12/2023 at 5:54 AM, BritManToo said:

Accept death when it comes.

At 67 I've already lived longer than my parents and most of my friends and relatives.

I know average age of death is supposedly 77  but where are all these old folk hiding.

?

at your age your life expectancy is around 85

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

What is fully funded? I have almost  million dollars in savings. My wife also works and gets good salary.  I don't think this is enough to live in a country where you have to pay for healthcare out of your own pocket and get kicked out if you don't satisfy immigration requirements which become more difficult as you get older.

I don't understand people that want to live as sick and disabled in their old age.

Just die with dignity.

As for immigration requirements, they've been the same for at least the past 20 years.

400k + Thai wife, or 800k + single.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

And don't forget that the retirement age in most European countries is now already 68 years and will be 70 years in 2025.

Can you name some of these countries, currently Greece seems to have the highest retirement age in the EU at 67 (but we all know that was because it was a basket case a few years back allowing people to retire on full pensions at 50) though other reports say it’s 62 & Germany has the highest age at 63.7. 

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/04/06/pension-reform-in-france-which-countries-have-the-lowest-and-highest-retirement-ages-in-eu

The Uk has one of the highest retirement ages in Europe & that’s 66 raising to 67 between 2026 - 2028 & then 68 between 2044 - 2046.  

Edited by Mike Teavee

I retired in the UK at age 45, moved to Thailand age 52.

Are you confusing retirement age with state pension age?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Can you name some of these countries, currently Germany seems to have the highest retirement age in the EU at 63.7. 

The Uk is possibly the highest in Europe & that’s 66 raising to 67 between 2026 - 2028 & then 68 between 2044 - 2046.  

In Belgium, the statutory retirement age is currently 65 (66 years from 2025 and 67 years from 2030). For some civil servants the age limit is higher (eg magistrates) or lower (eg military).

Link is in Dutch/French or German.

https://www.socialsecurity.be/citizen/nl/pensioenen/je-rustpensioen#:~:text=In België is de wettelijke,of lager (bijvoorbeeld militairen).

The state pension age will gradually increase from 65 to 67 years in 2024. In 2019, the state pension age is 66 years and 4 months. The retirement age is 68 in 2019 .May 1, 2566 BE

The EU has acknowledged this week a new law which would unify the standard retirements at a specific age and a specific pension, which would be 1,500 EUR for everybody who retires after the new law is passed.
Edited by Confuscious
Added

26 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Can you name some of these countries, currently Germany seems to have the highest retirement age in the EU at 63.7. 

The Uk is possibly the highest in Europe & that’s 66 raising to 67 between 2026 - 2028 & then 68 between 2044 - 2046.  

Employment rate of the 20 to 65 age group, and average retirement age in several European countries (2004). Scheme prepared by the French trade union CFDT . [2]
  Labor participation of 20 to 65 year olds (%) Labor participation of 55 to 64 year olds (%) [3] Average age at which people stop working (age) Statutory retirement age (age) Difference between statutory and actual retirement age

(in years)

Luxembourg 66.3 31.7 57.5 65 7.5 (men)
Belgium 63.1 32.1 58.1 65, 67 in 2030 [4] 6.9 (men)
France 65.8 37.8 58.7 62 (67 fully retired) 3.7 (8.3 full pension)
Italy 57.9 31.2 60.4 65 (m), 60 (f) [5] 4.6 (men)
Greece 64.1 41.6 60.4 65 (m), 60 (f) [5] 4.6 (men)
Austria 75.1 30.5 60.9 65 (m), 60 (f) [5] 4.1 (men)
Spain 57.9 43.1 61.4 65, 67 in 2031 5.6
Germany 71.7 44.9 61.6 67 5.4
The Netherlands 77.2 46.2 61.7 68 to 71 years depending on date of birth 3.3
Finland 71.5 52.7 62.2 65 2.8
Sweden 80.3 68.9 63.2 61 to 67, flexible 3.6 (maximum)
United Kingdom 79.6 56.8 63.2 66 (m), 60 (f) [5] 2.8 (men)
Denmark 83.5 59.8 63.6 65 1.4
Ireland 70.3 51.7 64.3 65 0.7
Portugal 79.4 43.9 64.5 65 0.5
European Union 69.1 50.9 60.5 (m); 59.5 (v)  

Wikipedia

6 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Sounds like Christianity, where, "Jesus suffered for your sins, now it's payback time, sucker." And now in the States, Christianity is indirectly forcing women to have babies they don't want. God Da...., is there any religion that has done any good for living -- or ending -- our lives? Fortunately, there are some countries in the world -- and even a few States in the US -- that have gotten around the religious bugaboo about aiding death in terminal situations. Amen.

Yeah, ain't religion great. So much better knowing death is just going to sleep (with, hopefully, pain reliever, if needed and available, and never knowing you didn't wake up). Why concern yourself with heaven or hell. But, hey, what if there really is reincarnation....? What might be worse -- coming back as a Muslim, or as a Trump supporter? But, don't think I'll worry too much about reincarnation -- just another religious fable for those who can't accept the reality of dying.

I am not religious and I don't believe in that Mumbo-Jumbo.
But it as amazing that many people who faces their death suddenly become religious and start praying and visiting churches in the hope for a miracle.
Most of the people who follow any religion (specially Catholic) are people in the 65+ braquet.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Celsius said:

This is what happens when you live in a 3rd world country with no money for hospital bills. A lot of my family in Canada are enjoying their lives in their mid 70's. Yes, in my old age I will be getting the best healthcare on taxpayer dime. Trust me, no old folk are envious of you living in Thailand.

I have to leave the states to afford basic human needs...affordable housing-healthy food options and healthcare i can afford to pay for.....all of which are outrageous back home....

So yep for 15 yrs ive been coming to CM aka 3rd world as my HOME country is a scam and rip off...so i would in fact argue some ARE jealous of me as they eat their spaghetti for another night and are buried in medical debt--struggling to pay their mortgage.....need a link????

And lets be aware that Canadians get FREE healthcare as my Canuck buddy gf married him so she could access it.... So yes your post would apply to Canadians..but surely not Americans...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Sounds like Christianity, where, "Jesus suffered for your sins, now it's payback time, sucker." And now in the States, Christianity is indirectly forcing women to have babies they don't want. God Da...., is there any religion that has done any good for living -- or ending -- our lives? Fortunately, there are some countries in the world -- and even a few States in the US -- that have gotten around the religious bugaboo about aiding death in terminal situations. Amen.

Yeah, ain't religion great. So much better knowing death is just going to sleep (with, hopefully, pain reliever, if needed and available, and never knowing you didn't wake up). Why concern yourself with heaven or hell. But, hey, what if there really is reincarnation....? What might be worse -- coming back as a Muslim, or as a Trump supporter? But, don't think I'll worry too much about reincarnation -- just another religious fable for those who can't accept the reality of dying.

agreed.....my dad tried forcing on me as a kid...the new generation is shying away from it too

Most of the people who follow any religion (specially Catholic) are people in the 65+ braquet.

Maybe in the west, but I bet they're well outnumbered by young 3rd world people, S. America, Mexico, Philippines, etc.

Savor every day. Squeeze it for what it is worth. Some of us have very good lives here, and enjoy good health. When it is time, I am ready. Until then? Every day here is a good day.

I try hard to maintain gratitude and perspective. Not easy. But worthwhile. 

30s is too soon. Dying in your 30's is tragic. As is the 40s
Sympathy dissapates from there. 50s is such a shame 
60s is too soon 
70s a good run 
80s a life well lived
90s - a hell of a ride

• Like 1

15 hours ago, save the frogs said:

in my opinion, it's always best to try to get it from food.

supplements are not optimal.

coconut water is fairly high in magnesium. 

coconut water is not that high in magnesium One cup of coconut water contains about 56 mg of calcium, 4% of the DV. Magnesium 

if your active you need more

Other things like Quinoa are actually a lot higher.... Magnesium: 28% of the DV

a 1-cup (172-g) serving of cooked black beans contains an impressive 120 mg of magnesium, which is 29% of the DV

But we like Magnesium Taurate for a host of reasons

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1