When is life worth living?

Confuscious

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody is forcing him to have medical treatment.

So, if you would be in his situation (3th stage Cancer and Metastases everywhere), what would be your option?

Cling to life at high costs like my friend or face the truth and go home to die peacefull?

Edited by Confuscious
added
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Stop life-prolonging treatments and enter Hospice care.

But the patient has to decide on/agree to it. Possible your friend is not yet ready to do so. Be aware that how things like to an outsider and how they feel to the person  in question can be quite different.  It is far easier to say "not worth it, I'd rather die" when you are not actually in that situation.  When the time comes, it usually takes some time to fully accept a terminal diagnosis.

And hospice care is available only in some parts of Thailand (but becoming more common).

Korat has an elder home with Palliative care at a very affordable price.

http://camilliancarekorat.org/th/?fbclid=IwAR1U2XSxC694N29-xHcdQNocARcA0JtPLU2SOHzkYlH8K3iDQzbW1WOtQn8

350274545_938723730678468_6490808780918480826_n.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

He went to several hospitals in Korat, but everywhere he got the same answer:
"Nothing serious. Nothing you need to worry about. Here, take a Paracetamol every 4 hours and you will forget your headache."

That's another thing. My wife has been paying into life+health+social insurance since she started working at 18, so 25 years of non stop high premiums (not including insurance she gets from work). She proudly told me that in case she gets cancer, the insurance is going to pay me 500k baht compensation and pay for her treatment. However, if she gets cancer again then no luck. If you want to have any kind of preventive care here, you pay out of pocket. Forget about 6 month mammograms for women over 40 or once a year checkup.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

So I knew what not to do. I then researched and fully implemented a more natural fruit diet along with alternative health therapies that returned the spring to my step and eliminated all ailments and pain.  Which did wonders for my mental state and quality of life.

You left out drinking your own urine:

" I also drink urine which is a magic bullet breaking down the sediment buildup and returning the body to full health."

https://aseannow.com/topic/1292117-best-solution-for-enlarged-prostate-that-blocks-urinating/?do=findComment&comment=18019846

17 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Suicide, assisted or not, us out if the question for me 

As is kanoodling with young prostitutes

In case of incapacity, I do have a problem as I have no support mechanism here.

I'm working on it though..

Death is a non- issue for me.

One of the benefits of religion/Spirituality

you mean that religion that sells the idea that  you can be the biggest a hole, rapist, child molester, murderer on the planet and as long as u fess up and accept the religion on your deathbed that all is forgiven and you're good to go?  

Edited by pomchop
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Life is worth living every day when you open your eyes and you know you are not dead.

Per the above:

103-year-old Maine 'Lobster Lady' signs up for 95th year hauling traps

Maine's 103-year-old "Lobster Lady" has signed up for a 95th year at the job, NEWS CENTER Maine reported.  

Virginia “Ginny” Oliver, known as Maine's oldest lobster harvester, began hauling traps before the Great Depression, at 8 years old, with her father and older brother.

Oliver, who celebrated her 103rd birthday this week with friends and family, will still lobster for the 2023 season, according to the outlet. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/09/virginia-oliver-senior-lobster-lady-maine/70307294007/

25 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Per the above:

103-year-old Maine 'Lobster Lady' signs up for 95th year hauling traps

Maine's 103-year-old "Lobster Lady" has signed up for a 95th year at the job, NEWS CENTER Maine reported.  

Virginia “Ginny” Oliver, known as Maine's oldest lobster harvester, began hauling traps before the Great Depression, at 8 years old, with her father and older brother.

Oliver, who celebrated her 103rd birthday this week with friends and family, will still lobster for the 2023 season, according to the outlet. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/09/virginia-oliver-senior-lobster-lady-maine/70307294007/

She is going to lobster hell. ???? ????

artworks-000030153885-ytnq9j-t500x500.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

you mean that religion that sells the idea that  you can be the biggest a hole, rapist, child molester, murderer on the planet and as long as u fess up and accept the religion on your deathbed that all is forgiven and you're good to go?  

Those dastardly last-minute cheaters..

Otherwise, you would go all-in ..

Probably not.

Nice excuse though..

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would say the complete opposite.

Your home country is where you build up your savings and pension as a young person.

Thailand is the place to come and spend it, hopefully in a nice house with a younger wife.

If you aren't fully funded for the rest of your life, you shouldn't be here IMHO.

You're inviting alot of people to start packing...

Ironically, everyone is fully funded for the rest of their life, however the lifespan may vary. There's a pervasive logic these days that everyone must fund themselves into oblivion - a period of walking dead. The only benefactors are doctors and big pharma.

People didn't always think like this. One particular example that screams at me is the average lifespan of Roman woman was 29 years, with 9 pregnancies and 2 living children. These days expectations are rather high in wealthy nations.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

Those dastardly last-minute cheaters..

Otherwise, you would go all-in ..

Probably not.

Nice excuse though..

I don't need an excuse to reject being brainwashed as a child but ultimately learning to think for myself as an adult ....but thanks for your concern.

14 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I am 73 and my opinion is that life is not worth living much past 75. I’m too cowardly to kill myself but I wish I could rely on going in my sleep. At least I’m living with a nice Thai woman as I face death.  ????

Food for thought.I'm almost 73 also.I feel ok and have survived my share on medical issues.The only complaint I have is mobility.My old legs are arthritic and I can't walk/stand for long.No much I can do about that. I'll gladly take a sleeping pill when the grim reaper comes knocking.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

People didn't always think like this. One particular example that screams at me is the average lifespan of Roman woman was 29 years, with 9 pregnancies and 2 living children. These days expectations are rather high in wealthy nations.

The lifespan of humans has always been around 70 years for the past 5,000 years.

Socrates was 71 when he was ordered to kill himself (399BC).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Confuscious said:

My ex-wife, 65 years old was hospitalized last year with urgency for the 99th time.
Could not breath.
Happened every time the weather was sunny and the temperature raised above the 25 degrees.

Her lungs were gone to the dogs by her heavy smoking habit.
When she was transported to the hospital she was still conscious and she signed a paper that if her situation would get worse she would refuse to be kept alive with machines ($$$$$$).
She died peaceful after 2 weeks in the hospital without machines.

What you state is an example that I go by.The DNR paper is very important and I've explained it to my family (Buddhist) so they understand fully.I've left them a fair inheritance and don't want to see it go to an ICU Unit. Mind you if I get a broken leg please disregard. 555

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The lifespan of humans has always been around 70 years for the past 5,000 years.

Yup   3 score and 10..Psalms 90

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nonsense. Average lifespan was 45 years in middle ages. 71 isnt old. People live to 110 now.

https://www.sarahwoodbury.com/life-expectancy-in-the-middle-ages/#:~:text=Archaeological evidence indicates that Anglo,none who lived past 45.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Food for thought.I'm almost 73 also.I feel ok and have survived my share on medical issues.The only complaint I have is mobility.My old legs are arthritic and I can't walk/stand for long.No much I can do about that. I'll gladly take a sleeping pill when the grim reaper comes knocking.

Take magnesium 2 times a day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Nonsense. Average lifespan was 45 years in middle ages. 71 isnt old. People live to 110 now.

https://www.sarahwoodbury.com/life-expectancy-in-the-middle-ages/#:~:text=Archaeological evidence indicates that Anglo,none who lived past 45.

Have you confused lifespan with life expectancy?

They aren't the same thing!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

the last few decades, life expectancy has increased dramatically around the globe. The average person born in 1960, the earliest year the United Nations began keeping global data, could expect to live to 52.5 years of age. Today, the average is 72. In the UK, where records have been kept longer, this trend is even greater. In 1841, a baby girl was expected to live to just 42 years of age, a boy to 40. In 2016, a baby girl could expect to reach 83; a boy, 79.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181002-how-long-did-ancient-people-live-life-span-versus-longevity

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I think you need to o a google search on some definitions.

You need to do some reading. What you posted is nonsense. Expectancy is just average lifespan.

Lifespans up

Expectancy up

• Like 1
  • Sad 1