Slow pace of Biden’s reelection campaign feeds Democrats’ 2024 anxiety

Social Media

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I just checked - it looks like she does.

Unlawful entries along the southern border have decreased 70% from their record highs since the end of Title 42 on May 11, according the Department of Homeland Security.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/unlawful-southern-border-entries-70-record-highs-end/story?id=99868336

But the magas will always filter out facts that don't support their world view.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Unlawful entries along the southern border have decreased 70% from their record highs since the end of Title 42 on May 11, according the Department of Homeland Security.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/unlawful-southern-border-entries-70-record-highs-end/story?id=99868336

Sounds impressive. On the surface. If you don't compare to previous years.

For example;

Total "encounters" along the border;

FY 2017 just over 500,000

FY2018 just under 700,000

FY 2022 about 2,700,000

FY 2023 about 2,300,000 year to date.

Hardly numbers to brag about.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp-enforcement-statistics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sounds impressive. On the surface. If you don't compare to previous years.

For example;

Total "encounters" along the border;

FY 2017 just over 500,000

FY2018 just under 700,000

FY 2022 about 2,700,000

FY 2023 about 2,300,000 year to date.

Hardly numbers to brag about.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/cbp-enforcement-statistics

Well, obviously the wall didn't work too well. Maybe it was a waste of money which could have been better spent helping reduce immigration push factors.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I could name many and what I consider vile about them is their abject and obvious racism and fascist sympathies.

But you won't and can't. That's what I thought. 

I think picking a vice president and a supreme court justice solely because of their race is racist, but I'm sure you don't. 

I think giving penalizing a particular group's university admissions based on race is racist, but I'm sure you don't. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But you won't and can't. That's what I thought. 

I think picking a vice president and a supreme court justice solely because of their race is racist, but I'm sure you don't. 

I think giving penalizing a particular group's university admissions based on race is racist, but I'm sure you don't. 

Belief that benefiting a minority which has suffered systemic disadvantage following a hundred years of slavery with affirmative practices is racist? Opposition to such practices is racist. I need not say more.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Or the US could use the money that is being "p!ssed against the wall" in Ukraine and fund the completion of it. Or perhaps hire a few thousand more border patrol officers. Or build some camps to house illegal border crossers until they can be deported.

Obviously you don't buy the push factor rationale? Why aren't you advocating massive penalties for corporations employing illegal workers? No need for thousands of border patrol officers.

• Thumbs Up 1

This applies to many countries, but it amazes me that a younger, more intelligent, more dynamic person cannot be found for these positions.  100ś of millions of people in the U.S. and this is their guy?

Seems unbelievable.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Belief that benefiting a minority which has suffered systemic disadvantage following a hundred years of slavery with affirmative practices is racist? Opposition to such practices is racist. I need not say more.

So, you think affirmative action to select the vice president and a supreme court justice is okay? 

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Harris not mentioned at all. Oh well.

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

This applies to many countries, but it amazes me that a younger, more intelligent, more dynamic person cannot be found for these positions.  100ś of millions of people in the U.S. and this is their guy?

Seems unbelievable.

Political office is not like corporate staffing.

Anyway it's possible that Biden is just bluffing running in order not to be a premature lame duck.

We'll know soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Obviously you don't buy the push factor rationale? Why aren't you advocating massive penalties for corporations employing illegal workers? No need for thousands of border patrol officers.

Oh, but I do agree with that. And have advocated for it here as well.  Another good tool to use to stem the surge in illegal immigrants.

Yes, it is. Because it treats one group as more important and deserving of government largesse than others.  I mean, at least limit affirmative action to ADOS people if you truly want to use affirmative action as a form of reparations.

Otherwise, every other minority group is equally deserving. The Chinese suffered greatly in the 1800s, brought over as virtual slaves, forbidden from bringing their families, even suffering from the Chinese Exclusion Acts. 

Japanese Americans were put in concentration camps and had their property seized and sold by the government, eventually getting very nominal compensation. 

Of course exclude black people from Africa and the Caribbean from AA though, they weren't suffering under slavery or Jim Crow.

So the three above groups should pay the penalty for crimes they did not commit and did not benefit from?

See how ridiculous it gets?

55 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, you think affirmative action to select the vice president and a supreme court justice is okay? 

Never has been. Wanting a black woman as vp in a country of 300 million isn't hard to do and doesn't exclude somebody better. Nobody is irreplaceable and nobody is so far above the rest. Just a right wing talking point.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Never has been. Wanting a black woman as vp in a country of 300 million isn't hard to do and doesn't exclude somebody better. Nobody is irreplaceable and nobody is so far above the rest. Just a right wing talking point.

Wanting a black woman for vice president excludes about 168 million qualified people from the selection process. 

Wanting a black woman for supreme court justice excludes about 220 million qualified people from the selection process. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I say Biden does not run, Kamala runs and loses to Gavin Newsom. 

If it's open primary, I'm not even sure Harris will run. She'd have no chance. Newsom of course would run and I think a number of other interesting choices as well. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If it's open primary, I'm not even sure Harris will run. She'd have no chance. Newsom of course would run and I think a number of other interesting choices as well. 

My pick is Sheldon Whitehouse. If he was president the supreme court would freak out.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, Hanaguma said:

The real reason for the anti-Trump stuff is that he won the election in 2016. He toppled everyone in the media and Left World's anointed candidate, the so-called 'most qualified person to ever run for President'. The dire predictions of what would happen if Trump won never came true.  But they still never forgave him for the sin of winning and making them all look stupid. 

Excellent post, so true. ????

• Like 1

A post discussing another poster has been removed 

31. You will not publicly discuss other members or post any member's personal information including but not limited to emails, social media messages, private messages, photos or website details. Contact information is permitted in the Jobs Offers and Jobs Wanted sections, but for the privacy and security of our members we strongly urge the use of the private message function rather the posting of personal contact information.

It is very sad that the US Democrats, one of the most well-established parties in the world, cannot come up with a well-known, strong and relatively-young (let us say, younger than 65) candidate to challenge 80-year-old Biden, who has clearly been struggling with old age mental issues.