House speaker accepts draft charter amendment bill to clip senators’ wings

snoop1130

25 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Wasn't it a coup-based government[s] that revised and mangled the last edition of the constitution and the one previous and the half dozen versions before that?  

So much for unlawfulness when these cabals can rewrite most everything [and accepted by most] on a whim to protect themselves and future cohorts. 

And all should had been challenged and perhaps were. 

My post was an academic at best, I full well realise that "might makes right" and that he who holds the gun , makes the rules . 

16 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Totally agree. In my book, abstention means you don't care either way how the vote goes, so your vote don't count and the number for majority becomes lover. 

They must be using some weird Thai maths... 

Nope just Thai thinking.... or is that non-thinking? 

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I call B.S. 

His policy positions are WHY he won so dramatically. 

Did you not read the newspapers... He didn't win anything. He will never be PM. Won dramatically? All he had was 30% of the lower house from the public referendum in May (hardly dramatic), and a loose coalition, that if not for Pheu Thai, would never have materialized. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Did you not read the newspapers... He didn't win anything. He will never be PM. Won dramatically? All he had was 30% of the lower house from the public referendum in May (hardly dramatic), and a loose coalition, that if not for Pheu Thai, would never have materialized. 

Why would you call it a referendum rather than an election....? Doesn't really fit the meaning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why would you call it a referendum rather than an election....? Doesn't really fit the meaning.

I was simply exaggerating (tongue in cheek) the fact that this particular election was "nonbinding" seeing as it was held to elect representatives to a body that does not (sadly) have any real power (i.e., the lower house), because the real power to choose a PM is with the appointed senate (i.e., upper house). The Junta designed the constitution to that very end. Only a super majority (376/500 or 75%) in the lower house can overcome the shackles. The Generals knew what they where doing... the electorate is far to fractured to ever achieve a super majority. Hence, the upper house will likely always get the final say.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have they not considered if the proposal is successful and the Senators no longer have a vote. The MF and PT coalition will collapse. 

Neither will need each other to form a government . Both MF and PT could nominate a candidate for PM solely relying on gaining votes from other MPs.

Pheu Thai Party is demanding clarifications from Move Forward party regarding Pita's statement urging coalition parties and the public to help in changing senators' minds and amending the Constitution to eliminate senators’ power in selecting the PM.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-seeks-clarifications-on-lese-majeste-law-and-constitutional-amendments/

I can see missing a vote for what kind of toilet paper to be used in the bathrooms . 

But this one is for supporting the people who put you in that seat and voting in their best interests and the future of Thailand. Totally disgusting.  

Edited by BTB1977
Spelling

On 7/16/2023 at 7:03 AM, jacko45k said:

One has to form a government first and that has to be done under the existing rules. A right stitch up!

That didn't happen in 2014, 2006 and all the previous coups back to 1932, so why should it matter now?

5 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

I can see missing a vote for what kind of toilet paper to be used in the bathrooms . 

But this one is for supporting the people who put you in that seat and voting in their best interests and the future of Thailand. Totally disgusting.  

Almost an innocent projection. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

The people didn't put these senators in their positions a dictator did